Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal Devitt goes East

• 21-03-2006 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Fergal Devitt has got himself a contract with New Japan. This really is huge news, and a massive congratulations must go his way.

Ive seen him a few times with IWW at Trabolgan last year and was very impressed with the few matches I saw.

Hopefully this will help put Irish Wrestling on the map even more so.

http://nwawrestling.com/nwanews/index.php?p=298

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Congrats to him - Really great news. I only really got to see him on Whiplash TV and was very impressed. Hope he does amazing over in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Woah, well done to him! Can't wait to see him out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭flair4gold

gimmick wrote:
    Fergal Devitt has got himself a contract with New Japan. This really is huge news, and a massive congratulations must go his way.

Ive seen him a few times with IWW at Trabolgan last year and was very impressed with the few matches I saw.

Hopefully this will help put Irish Wrestling on the map even more so.

http://nwawrestling.com/nwanews/index.php?p=298

Fergal's in ring abilities, professionalism and awesome physique make him outshine all other talent on any show he is booked for. The co owner of NWA Ireland is a true testament to the high quality wrestling that only this promotion can produce and Fergal himself has had a big hand in training the NWA Ireland stars of today. Fergal is one of the most sought after pro wrestlers in Ireland today and as they have quoted numerous times on www.nwaireland.com the whole roster are very proud of his achievements. I personally have seen him on numerous NWA Ireland shows and on the NWA Ireland dvd and I have to say he really is a class act and a great role model for the NWA Ireland team. I wish him best of luck in his career in Japan and hope to see him on more NWA Ireland shows to come. And with a bit of luck the updates will continue on www.nwaireland.com !!!Well done Fergal.

NWA Ireland

Actually..I've never seen him wrestle before. He's not guaranteed to actually wrestle at a NJPW event, is he? The link says he's been invited to train in the dojo for 3 months. Well done all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Nightmareofgold

this is really amazing, this is great news for fergal devitt, irish wrestling and nwa ireland. i wish him the best of luck cause he is truly an amazing talent

one question, why is he on the iww roster if he only done 2 shows for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know much about him. I did go to an NWA Ireland event but I'm not sure if he was there.

Anyone know more about him? What's his wrestling style like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

His wrestling style is technical/hard hitting (to me, like a young Benoit), great groundwork too

this is really amazing, this is great news for fergal devitt, irish wrestling and nwa ireland. i wish him the best of luck cause he is truly an amazing talent

one question, why is he on the iww roster if he only done 2 shows for them?

It appears that there are many wrestlers on that roster that have done only one or two shows for the promotion.Fergal Devitt is co promoter of NWA Ireland and has wrestled with that compnay for over three years, previous to which he wrestled for NWA UK. But because he was paid to wrestle for that other promotion,(a move I presume he did either for exposure of himself and his true brand or to prove his style and abilities were far superior to that of any othere promtions offerings) that other promotion seem hellbent on claiming him as one of their own talents. On his bio on their site there is no mention of him wrestling at all for NWA Ireland, where the bulk of his career has been.Any time he is mentioned on their site they relate back to his two brief matches on their shows but never to the fact that he has had a career in Ireland that didnt involve them.Some of the newest members of that promotions roster are said to have been trained by Devitt as well, when in reality they were trained by NWA Ireland (Example Keego Ward). And they calim that Devitt is a true contender for their International Championship- after two matches!!! (How must their roster feel?) Anyway thats very far fetched. Devitt will hardly compete for that championship when he still has to have a shot at the NWA Ireland Heavyweight Championship.But we can wait and see, only time will prove my point. As is the nature of these forums people will argue and try and shout it down but this is the reality. That promotion want Fergal Devitt as their own but he is a member of NWA Ireland and a co promoter of the NWA Ireland product. He has spent his career with the NWA brand and it has served him well.He has a contract with NJPW, has held the Commonwealth Championship and has travelled the world representing NWA Ireland. Above all else he is great friends with Paul Tracey fellow co promoter of NWA Ireland and together they are a recognised tag team in the NWA World Rankings. He would hardly give up that for a promotion that is no better than the one he is in. So why does he not complain? Its all exposure and as long as his face is out there people will take notice. Its got us talking, various fans of various promotions and probably the only thread thusfar that hasnt spiralled into pettiness. But after this post it may do so, but in my estimation this is the reality and I think its a hard point to argue with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Let have a competition - who can have the term NWA Ireland in a post the most times without sounding repetitive :p ?

BTW, I must apologise to Ph3nom and Bombidol, it seems ye were correct lads, some people here are still too immature to post here without childish promotion bashing albeit done in such a manner that is trying to hide the fact.

I never said anything about promotion bashing - I was simply talking about personal insults, etc - which flair4gold has not done

• Advertisement

Why should IwW want to mention NWA Ireland on their website? Most rival promotions don't do that. When TNA mentions WWE on their shows it makes them sound like the smaller of the two. So why shouldn't IwW make no mention of the fact that Devitt wrestled for NWA when he chose to work for them for a few shows? They're certainly not obliged to

Devitt is obviously a great wrestler, I've heard a lot of good things said about him, so of course any promotion he works for is going to want to use him as a means of promotion for themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what anyone has done, in my mind

Fozzy wrote:
    Why should IwW want to mention NWA Ireland on their website? Most rival promotions don't do that. When TNA mentions WWE on their shows it makes them sound like the smaller of the two. So why shouldn't IwW make no mention of the fact that Devitt wrestled for NWA when he chose to work for them for a few shows? They're certainly not obliged to

Devitt is obviously a great wrestler, I've heard a lot of good things said about him, so of course any promotion he works for is going to want to use him as a means of promotion for themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what anyone has done, in my mind

Exactly. I mean if Fergal had a problem with it, it would be between himself and IWW. However I would point out that Devitt doesnt just wrestle for NWA Ireland - he also co-runs it.

However I do find it amusing that IWW mentions every other federation he has wrestled for and not NWA Ireland - but as Fozzy said, that's their choice

The other promotions aren't direct rivals to IwW, so I can understand that. If anyone cares enough and knows about those other promotions, they'd probably already associate Devitt with NWA Ireland anyway

just to interject - wow, so far so good - this thread has not stooped to name calling, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Used to have Fergal Devitt and Paul Treacy in my EWR game as a tag team in TNA, they disliked each other.

anyway that's class, good for him!

Fozzy wrote:
    Why should IwW want to mention NWA Ireland on their website? Most rival promotions don't do that. When TNA mentions WWE on their shows it makes them sound like the smaller of the two. So why shouldn't IwW make no mention of the fact that Devitt wrestled for NWA when he chose to work for them for a few shows?

You mention that they dont want NWA ireland on there website, correct me if i am wrong but Vic Viper only wrestled at one NWA Ireland show and it wasnt even for NWA Ireland he was repesenting iww, but when i look at vic vipers profile i see NWA Ireland is mentioned on it as a promoting he worked for.
    That doesent make sense
    Heres the link: http://www.irishwhipwrestling.com/vicviper.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What difference does it make :confused:

I avoid these threads 99.999% of the time and stick with the NWA threads because I dont like the personal grievances that are displayed between individuals. My posts in this thread are however not to "bash" any promotion but rather to let those who are genuinely interested in Fergals career know that Fergal is an NWA talent and that NWA can actually guarantee that he will be a major part of their product in time to come. So for those of you who are interested I suggest you stay updated with developments on www.nwaireland.com and thats the last input I will have on the topic. Well done Fergal, keep it up!!

I'm not involved with IwW, I don't know why they have NWA Ireland down for Viper and not Devitt! Although maybe the "NWA Pro Wrestling" they mention in Devitt's profile is meant to mean NWA Ireland, and whoever wrote it didn't know too much about what they were doing. Anyway, I'm just speculating

flair4gold, how can "NWA actually guarantee that he will be a major part of their product in time to come"? He's after getting himself a contract with NJPW, and that's obviously a very big thing. It could lead to interest from other promotions, or a more permanent spot in Japan. Or does he intend to come back to Ireland anyway?

well he is the CO-PROMOTER

• Advertisement

How do you know he won't get a NJPW contract and sell up his part of it though? It just seems strange that it's "guaranteed". I'll be making the best effort I can to get to his next show here anyway, whenever that might be

I believe he is gauranteed to train in the dojo for 3 months - and thats all.

Here's hoping he is the first in a new wave of Irish wrestlers to get themselves more exposure to a global audience

http://www.nwaireland.com/show_news.php?id=890fe6d4d86d2208e7cc6ec12adbb33e

Looks like Devitt will be wrestling for NJPW - all the best for him

Excellent. Definitely goin to try check that out

So is Brock Lesnar still champion there? or am I getting myself confused?!

that card seems to have changed though, it looks like Devitt is now wrestling in singles action, and his tag spot was taken by jushin thunder lyger:

NJPW, 4/16/06 (SXW)
    Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. El Samurai vs. Prince Devitt
    2. Tiger Mask & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Jushin Thunder Liger & Sangre Azteca
    3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Giant Bernard vs. Scott Norton & Toru Yano
    4. Riki Choshu, Manabu Nakanishi & Takashi Iizuka vs. Black Strong Machine, Tatsutoshi Goto & Togi Makabe
    5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title #1 Contender Match: Koji Kanemoto & Wataru Inoue vs. Jado & Gedo
    6. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Naofumi Yamamoto vs. Ryouji Sai
    7. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    8. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Masahiro Chono

Yeah, Brock is still champ

You can't get much better replacements than Jushin Liger!

Devitt seems to be featuring on a lot of their upcoming cards (at least the ones listed) mainly in tag competition. But good for him!

Is the show on the 16th his first show, do you know?

Yeah, think it's his debut.

Got the info from http://www.puroresufan.com/

which also had this piece on him:
    "
    Nikkan Sports ran two separate stories on the arrival of young Irishman, Fergal Devitt (5'11"/196lbs, 24-years-old), in New Japan. The newspaper says that New Japan is raising "the foreign ace of the future" at its own expense, that he is training in the dojo and will start up as a "trueborn" by the end of April. Apparently, the doors are open to more foreigners entering New Japan's dojo, as one of New Japan's plans is to raise foreigners in their style, as Simon Inoki explained that Lesnar not being an instant hit as an "ace" is because fans are finding it hard to see him as a "New Japan wrestler", and so by raising foreigners through their system (they actually almost got Lesnar before Vince McMahon), it would be different. Devitt has been in the dojo for about two weeks and has gotten used to the life of a trainee, training hard each day, washing his seniors' shirts, and using chopsticks to eat the meal of all young trainees, chanko. He said this is the best dojo he has been in, and that he had prepared for it by doing similar chores at New Japan's L.A. Dojo. The article went on to compare him with Chris Benoit, who also went through New Japan's trainee life, and Devitt said he wants to aim at becoming the new Benoit and "threw away" the NWA title he had held to move to Japan and train in the dojo. The second story says that Liger is in charge of bringing up Devitt, so he has one of the most exceptional teachers possible."

Don't know about throwing the NWA title though ... that seems a bit on the disrespectful side.

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah. Probably just a result of the translation. He really is doin well for himself if Liger's lookin after him

Message to the NWA Ireland Team from Co-promoter and Coach - Fergal Devitt.

Whats the craic to all my crew at NWA IRELAND.

I just wanted to take a minute out to say hello to you all at home, so you dont forget about me ! I have been keeping uo to date on the happenings at home and am hearing great things about the new WIRED show and the progress everyone is making.

Also, I would like to congratulate my good friend MAXER on his title win. I remember the first day he came training, with his dad. It was right when we just opened - both myself and Paul agreed that the then shaven headed Sean had what it takes and was an absolute natural in the ring. Since that day I have watched Sean develop into one of my favourite wrestlers - he is an inspiration to everyone at NWA Ireland as an example of how far you can get with some hard work and determination.

Things are going well in Japan. Im training every day now in preperation for a one month tour where I'll be wrestling almost every night with the likes of Tiger Mask, Gado, Jado, El Samurai and Kanemoto in the NJPW Super Junior Division. Il try my best to give them the Official NWA Ireland Treatment - ie : They will be sore the next morning !

Although I have travelled to many places and wrestled many people, I would just like to finish by saying to all the wrestlers, staff and fans of NWA Ireland - nothing makes me more proud than to step into an NWA IRELAND ring and perform, alongside and against some of my best friends. I miss you all.

Please take care, keep the e-mails coming and keep up all the hard work.

Kind regards,

Fergal Devitt.

Good to see Fergal still has time for his friends back home and that he is reaping the rewards of his hard work abroad. Keep it up Fergal.

Advertisement