Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP i need this router

• 21-03-2006 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

I need to source this router and it has to be this type

linksys wrt54g or wrt54gs hardware/firmware version less or equal to 4.0
    as far as i remember the serial normally starts with cdf

Any help would be much appreciated - would be preferable to get it in europe, ireland if possible

(the reason i need this specific piece of kit is because it supports software that allows it to be turned into a hotspot)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

One on sale here

Should be able to source one easily enough (try elara.ie or microaid.ie) and as for firmware version you can update it using downloads from Linksys site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

@ irlrobins : Think op needs to get this with the earlier firmware as the new firmware doesn't allow this type of hack afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They "were" selling this in PC world up until November definetly, as I got one there.
    The firmware on them was well below 4 as well as I needed to update it myself.
    You might be lucky and be able to get on in PC world but keep the receipts in case the firmware is not what you are looking for.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

@ Kippy : As a matter of interest how much did you pay for it in pc world?

@ anybody: what is a good price for one of these (i know komplet are@ 75 + p&p)

yea about 70 to 75e is the going rate. Prob more in retail shops.

Anything preventing going from firmware v4.0 to v2.0 say? Surely they allow you to rollback in case of probs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I paid round about €70.....Cant remember offhand.
    Its the second one of this type I got, I had one in a house in Dublin as well that I bought of Komplett a few years ago for around €90. Great piece of kit.
    I am pretty sure you can install the older firmware on them however the proplem is sourcing it.....I havent checked but I doubt the older firmware is available on their site.
    Kippy

older versions are at ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

For some background info on the "Linux unfriendly" WRT54G hardware version 5:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linuxdevices.com%2Fnews%2FNS4729641740.html
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=446

To reduce manufacturing costs, in hardware version 5 they've changed to VxWorks firmware which runs on smaller flash and RAM but they decided to continue production of the version 4 model while there is demand, rebranded as WRT54GL (L for Linux). The L model is currently available from Amazon, among others.

Advertisement