Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda declaration for road tax

Options
  • 21-03-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My car has been off the road so I need to take my road tax application to the Guards to be stamped. Do they carry out any checks ?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

When I got it done in Galway, I just went up to the window in the station, asked for the stamp and got it no questions asked.

Mind you, I was only claiming the car was off the road for a month, so I'm sure the Garda thought I was nuts for being so anal.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure there is no garda evidence of the car being used during the time it was off the road. i.e. parking tickets etc.

You may get the 'how do I know it was off the road?' question, but they don't really make you prove it if you sound genuine. It's almost impossible for you to prove really.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

and if they ask "where is it now?" you dont say "outside" ...like someone I know....:D
    Also, when you get that question, make sure u say its in ur driveway.. cos if its parked on the public highway, u gotta pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Done it loads of times - know of it being done 1000's of times - even with cars that had had parking fines. If you drove the car and were stopped for having no tax then you best not do it. Other than that your grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

crosstownk wrote:
    Done it loads of times - know of it being done 1000's of times - even with cars that had had parking fines. If you drove the car and were stopped for having no tax then you best not do it. Other than that your grand!

Be stupid to try it if there is *any* official record of the car being on the road during the period in question.

Also, why would a warden put a €15 parking ticket on an un-taxed car when they could go for a €50 'no tax disc displayed' one?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

In a lot of towns & cities, ther administration of parking fines is dealt with by a private company (Control Plus etc). These private companies are not authorised to dole out fines for road tax. And it would appear that the Garda vehicle file does not update with these private companies. Maybe if you parking ticket was issued by a Garda (the Garda emblem will be at the top) then you should maybe give it a miss. But I don't think anyone checks this deeply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

it shouldnt be a problem as i have done it before, they donot ask any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

crosstownk wrote:
    In a lot of towns & cities, ther administration of parking fines is dealt with by a private company (Control Plus etc). These private companies are not authorised to dole out fines for road tax. And it would appear that the Garda vehicle file does not update with these private companies. Maybe if you parking ticket was issued by a Garda (the Garda emblem will be at the top) then you should maybe give it a miss. But I don't think anyone checks this deeply.

Why would a garda issue a parking ticket when they could issue a 'no disc displayed' one?

Not your ornery onager

Generally they would issue both!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Elara Lady

i done thi once, was sweating going in but all they said was why was it off the road, told them casue i couldnt afford the tax.....

they did stamp the wrong date and when i went to the tax office, waited one hour and 20 mins to be told i had to go back and get it done again cause of the date.... not a happy bunny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Yeah, my car was off the road for 3 months before, Guards stamped the form no problem. I even had evidence with me in case they asked but they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Lazy Gardai dont check. A lot do and will under severe cases, prosecute for trying to make a false declaration.

not saying this is common but be aware of it.

Also, dont think theres no record just because you got no ticket. gardai may decide to summons a person rather than issue a ticket or others may simple put a note on PULSE that your car was observed without such a disk (therefore allowing it too be seized if you are caught driving it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

hadnt got tax on my old car for 4 months, got caught, paid the ticket, went to garda station and got it stamped and didnt have to pay arrears, they just ran a quick check on the reg

ye should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Had to do it before.Cop just asked for form and stamped it no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

was trying to sell my car in the summer and didnt pay tax then was thinking of trading in so didnt bother paying tax. Got caught in late Jan, Went to another Garda Station and got the form stamped from the 1st feb(asked for 1st jan. Then payed the fine. Hope thats the last I hear of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

Lazy Gardai dont check.

The Gardaí are not required to check. The Gardaí merely act as witnesses to your declaration. In other words, they simply sign if they see you sign. Most forms that are brought to Garda stations are filled out by the Garda in this capacity, except passport applications (where the Garda needs to be satisfied as to your identity) and a few other applications.

Advertisement