Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cromwell

Options
  • 21-03-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭

I'm curious how Cromwell is taught in Irish History Classes. I'm just after reading an article that says he was responsible for the deaths of about 3500 Irish after the battle at Drogheda.

This could have been in response to Catholic Irish killing 40-50,000 Protestants in Ulster 10 years or so earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I'm curious how Cromwell is taught in Irish History Classes. I'm just after reading an article that says he was responsible for the deaths of about 3500 Irish after the battle at Drogheda.

This could have been in response to Catholic Irish killing 40-50,000 Protestants in Ulster 10 years or so earlier.

From learning about him in primary school I remember he wasnt very popular to say the least ;) Its been a while since I read on Cromwell, so someone can correct me if Im wrong here.As far as I know Cromwell did massacre Drogheda town, he bragged that only people escaped the sword or something, and did some other nasty things too. I think the population of Ireland was 1.4 million and when he was finished it was about 1.1 million. He also confiscated land off of the Irish to pay the soldiers who had fought for him in Ireland and make way for ANOTHER plantation of Ireland and passed a law stating that the native Irish who had lost there land had to live east of the river Shannon or be executed or something to that effect.

As for the Catholics killing Protestants in Ulster, the correct figure is around 4,000 IIRC. Also, those Catholics had had there land and homes taken from them and given to those people only years earlier, so there was deep resentment and anger on the part of Catholics and alot of sectarian and ethnic 'tension' between the natives and the British settlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Cromwell is viewed extremely negatively in Irish history - comparisons with Hitler arent an official part of the history course but as Flex has noted hes not remembered for anything positive. Mind you he only spent 9 months on the island, at the head of an army putting down a long running rebellion so the opportunities for PR exercises would have been limited. Either way he is responsible for sealing the colonisation of Ireland by English and Scottish planters.

Its hard to find neutral sources on Cromwells role in Ireland that go into any detail. Loyalists view the massacres of Protestants as demonstrating that their freedoms/security are only guaranteed with Britain, whereas Republicans view the massacres of Drogheda as revealing the true nature of the English-Irish relationship. The BBC have a quick note on the 1641 revolt that drew Cromwell to Ireland. The initial revolt is estimated by the BBC as killing 12,000 protestants out of a population of roughly 40,000. Apparently contemporary sources estimated hundreds of thousands dead, tortured etc etc so its easy enough to imagine that Cromwell came over a few years later with an axe to grind and a precedent set. Seems clear his harsh treatment of the Irish was a reaction the outrage/anger the rebellion and the massacres would have caused in England. And given the religious wars of the era Catholics wouldnt have been high in Cromwells estimation to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Thanks for the replies. They have shed quite a lot of light on my research (which started yesterday). On searching the web, I'm finding info on Drogheda and the Ulster uprising.

When I was in Ireland a few years back I remember hearing that Cromwell said 'to Hell or to Connaught" and proceeded to Connaught (or only Galway?) and massacred thousands. I can't find anything to back this claim up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Never actually studied Cromwell in school.

The Irish history I studied was either about the Celts, Vikings, etc or from 1801 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

It was he who famously said that the Burren was useless as it contained - "neither water enough to drown a man, nor a tree to hang him, nor soil enough to bury him" - which pretty aptly reveals his main aims in coming to Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's a Wiki about Cromwell in Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwellian_conquest_of_Ireland

You might also look up the Pettit (not sure of the spelling) map of Ireland. This was commissioned by Cromwell to make a record of the Catholic landowners, for the purpose of stealing their land and transferring it into Protestant hands.

Edit: William Petty made the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

One thing you should consider in looking at Cromwell is that, yes he wasn't very nice in Irish eyes, but he was there to do a job. And he did it very well.

Also note that he was an active participant in the campaign, not just a leader sending men off to fight.

Credit where credit is due.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm surprised that the massacre of Wexfords citizens was not mentioned here........ another 1,500 dead..... It was a case of surrender or face the consequences, and the consequences of surrendering were such that fighting to the death was often the only option. Even the population of Fethard- who were notorious for tending the Cromwellian wounded did not forgoe being deported to Connaught. Re: The burren- there was an expression "To hell or to Connaught".

While Cromwell may have been efficient, to this day the Irish cannot forgive being driven from their lands and having their possessions forfeit to mostly Protestant settlers from Scotland. What is considered as an injustice by many is to this day used as a justification for continuing the struggle in the North. Anyone who thinks its not sectarian need only read up on Cromwells 14 months of terror in Ireland- from Sept. 1650 to Nov 1651. Its nice to know that Galway was the final city to surrender.

smccarrick wrote:
    Anyone who thinks its not sectarian need only read up on Cromwells 14 months of terror in Ireland- from Sept. 1650 to Nov 1651. Its nice to know that Galway was the final city to surrender.

Can you recommend a good book with an unbiased bent to it? The unbiased might be an impossible task.

The recent issue of Christian History and Biography makes it clear that Cromwell was acting as a Puritan and that all Catholics were evil in their support of the papacy. I would then conclude that the whole purpose for his reign was sectarian.

The Puritans also had problems with the Church of England, and is why they left for America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet they don't mention how his rebellion against the King was the spark for parlimentary democracy (not that it would look to much like democracy as its now practised of course).

SebtheBum Cromwell never said the "neither water enough..." comment. It was by Edmund Ludlow but he did say In the name of God, go! Warts and All and my Local favourite By Hook (head) or by Crook (head).

Mike.

• Advertisement

The Christian History mag does talk about his parliamentary reform. We even studied that in Canadian history class. The Ireland bit was left out. Mind you we were studying the beginnings of democracy and not English history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

From what I recall, he was a bit of a bollix.

The phrase to hell or to connscht referred to all of connacht. Dont know about him massacring thousands there. Or do you mean he massacred thousands in Ireland and not just connacht?

The book, "Seek the Fair Land" by Walter Macken is set during the cromwell campaign. Its a really good read, its a fictional story but a good insight to the cromwell campaign and the dogheda thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One thing you should consider in looking at Cromwell is that, yes he wasn't very nice in Irish eyes, but he was there to do a job. And he did it very well.

So was Adolf Eichmann. :rolleyes:
    Also note that he was an active participant in the campaign, not just a leader sending men off to fight.

Credit where credit is due.

Ffs.

Zebra3 wrote:
    So was Adolf Eichmann. :rolleyes:
    Ffs.
    True- the Nuremburg trials condemned him for his "ruthless efficiency"- a similar description would not be astray with Cromwell......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

Also remember "Nits breed lice" being attributed to him - and stories of his troops being encourage to kill babies..

Black Cromwell, as he was known. I remember passing the DART (Dublin Against Royal Tour) demonstration about 10 years ago when Charles Winsor was coming to visit.

There was a placard which read 'Cromwell was right' - I remember being bemused by it.

A republican hero in England, hated by republicans and most of the populace in Ireland even to this day.

Oh, and there was the small matter of his regime chartering slave ships which shipped tens of thousands on Irish women and children to the Americas and the Caribian as Slaves, on the smae slave ships that brought Africans there.

Amongst the many wonderful ideas this led to was 'cross-breeding' of Irish women with African men so that the children would be a lighter skin colour, and thus be more acceptable to the Planters.

This practice was stopped by an act of Parliament as it was reducing the demand for fresh African slaves.

Slavery from Ireland was stopped because it was discovered that the slaver gangs in Ireland had started to become uncontrollable and pick up English women.

These gangs roamed the countryside and rounded up whatever poor unfortunate women and children they came across.

Cromwell is not a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Oh, and there was the small matter of his regime chartering slave ships which shipped tens of thousands on Irish women and children to the Americas and the Caribian as Slaves, on the smae slave ships that brought Africans there.

Amongst the many wonderful ideas this led to was 'cross-breeding' of Irish women with African men so that the children would be a lighter skin colour, and thus be more acceptable to the Planters.

This practice was stopped by an act of Parliament as it was reducing the demand for fresh African slaves.

Slavery from Ireland was stopped because it was discovered that the slaver gangs in Ireland had started to become uncontrollable and pick up English women.

These gangs roamed the countryside and rounded up whatever poor unfortunate women and children they came across.

Cromwell is not a hero.

I think priests were part of that too, werent they? Wasnt there some islands where Irish was spoken up until recently because of the slaves that cromwell sent away from Ireland? Or am i getting mixed up with something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

mike65 wrote:
    SebtheBum Cromwell never said the "neither water enough..." comment. It was by Edmund Ludlow but he did say In the name of God, go! Warts and All and my Local favourite By Hook (head) or by Crook (head).
    Yeah, sorry - I realised I'd got it wrong after I posted, and couldnt be arsed changing it! Ludlow was one of his Generals, and I think the quote was from a letter sent to Cromwell... I still think it sums up what Cromwell's forces were intent on doing on their "mission" to Ireland.

It is definitely true that Cromwell set Parliamentary democracy in motion in Britain, but quickly became its opponent when in power - his son became the defacto ruler after his death for God's sake, how democratic is hereditary rule?!

Nonetheless, the atrocities committed during the Irish Campaign were a result of a quest for vengeance that was shared by most Protestants, it was not as if he was ordering his armies to massacre women and children, it was just the accepted military doctrine which said that cities/besieged centres which refused to surrender would have most if not all of its inhabitants slaughtered if and when they were eventually overrun.

Nonetheless, the atrocities committed during the Irish Campaign were a result of a quest for vengeance that was shared by most Protestants, it was not as if he was ordering his armies to massacre women and children, it was just the accepted military doctrine which said that cities/besieged centres which refused to surrender would have most if not all of its inhabitants slaughtered if and when they were eventually overrun.

I actually read a small bit more on Cromwell, and after the taking of Drogheda and Wexford he actually had to chill out as the treatment of wexford ( his men stormed the town whilst the garrison was sitting down to discuss surrender terms) meant that other garrisons fought all the harder because they feared being killed even if they surrendered.

Either way Cromwells treatment of enemies wasnt exceptional for the time, nor was his sectarianism. Catholics and Protestants were busy slaughtering each other throughout Europe (Puritans fled England for the New World because they faced similar treatment). The reason why English Protestants if the era were so violently opposed to Catholics, and why its still law a Catholic cannot be monarch of England, is because they knew theyd be massacred if a Catholic came to power in England. It was massacre or be massacred. The fact that it seems ridiculous these days to get so worked up about it shows how alien the values of that era were.

Pointless trivia, Richard Harris, a hard drinking Irish hellraiser played Oliver Cromwell in a movie which dealt more with the English Civil War, than with his vist to Ireland. Cromwell may or may not see the funny side of that.
    Cromwell is not a hero.

Who said he was? He was a product of his time, a successful general, and established through force of arms (if nothing else) the concept that the king should answer to the parliment. Even after the restoration English kings were aware they ruled only at the pleasure of parliment, leading to the constitutional monarchy and liberal democratic traditions of today. Was he a nice man? No, but neither were the barons who forced King John to sign the Magna Carta. Even so, historians point to the Magna Carta as a stepping stone on the road of western civillisation.

I dont think we (Irish people) can call foul over the treatment of Drogheda given the precedent set in 1641. It was wrong, but Cromwell was only following the Irish lead in that war.

Sand wrote:
    I dont think we (Irish people) can call foul over the treatment of Drogheda given the precedent set in 1641. It was wrong, but Cromwell was only following the Irish lead in that war.

Unfortunately for that perspective, he was the aggressor in our land (Irish people's) rather than his own.

I think it is entirely reasonable that Irish people call foul. No English city's populace was put to the sword. Irish suffering was disproportionate to English.

There was no English suffering in that no place in England was affected by this war.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately for that perspective, he was the aggressor in our land (Irish people's) rather than his own.

I think it is entirely reasonable that Irish people call foul. No English city's populace was put to the sword. Irish suffering was disproportionate to English.

There was no English suffering in that no place in England was affected by this war.
    Its hard to find neutral sources on Cromwells role in Ireland that go into any detail....

Like I said before, politics inteferes greatly with historical analysis of Cromwell in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sand wrote:
    Like I said before, politics inteferes greatly with historical analysis of Cromwell in Ireland.
    ain't that the truth. Also a lot of religious lables have been attached to the conflicts. And it all has to be taken in the context of the wars in Scotland too. Too much infighting between too many different groups. Could we have achieved independence if we hadn't been seen as much of a threat if the King hadn't been supported ?

There was a rebellion in the North around that time where both settlers and native irish fought alongside against the crown and only later were the roles exagerated.

Also the whole "to hell or to connaught" thing was a little exagerated since most Irish didn't move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 clonycavanman

BrianCalgary must be a bit puzzled by the very even-handed, generous posts made on this topic, some even extending to an understanding judgement of massacre; provided the victims are irish and the perpetrators are angry. Brian must be wondering how we ever had the gumption to take our own country back.
    I'll restore the balence . Cromwell's massacres at Droheda and smewhere else were cliches of my childhood, not taught at school that I can recall, but from parents and other adults as examples of past injustice. Now a well read bore, I have the following understanding of the bitterness borne towards Cromwell, in reverse order;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 clonycavanman

(to continue).
    Massacres of prisoners,clergy and townspeople were not war as usual for the time, were morally condemned by many and had not been practiced during the English and Scottish civil wars except for the massacre of the 'Irish Harlots' (camp followers of the gaelic-speaking Highland army) after Montrose's defeat at Philiphaugh.
    Murders of priests on sight were practiced and -as the catholic church survived this persecution- long preserved in folk memory as 'martyrs'.
    The greatest cause of post-Cromwell bitterness was the massive confiscation of land after the war; except in Connaught which was not coveted enough. Antonia Fraser estimated that in the century prior to 1660 two thirds of Ireland was transferred to the ownership of English and Scottish immigrants. By the act of settlement the 'Irish' were ordered to leave specified eastern counties and go to Connaught. Elsewhere the land was merely given to roundhead soldiery. For subsistance farmers this meant famine. For the educated and affluent it meant poverty or exile abroad as a mercenary in the service of the Kings of France or Austria. Those ex-pat communities kept the flame of Irish hope alive. We were three hundred years reversing the Tudor/Stewart/Cromwellian dispossessions.

It took over 300 years to reclaim *some* of our possessions, and even on our independence our government were made to pay restitutions for what was considered government property (and agree to leave ports and other vital infrastructure in English hands (commonly known as the Treaty Ports etc).

There is an interesting battle ongoing in Co.Cork regarding a Tudor Castle and estate that passed to the state in lieu of death duties in the early '70s. Two parties, the a family member of the original holder of the land over 300 years ago, and a family member of the protestant family who held the property are in dispute over the ownership. (Its a nice tract of land out the Douglas direction, considered prime building land).

Death duties were the weapon of choice exercised by the Irish government to expropriate land from these erstwhile estates over the last 100 years (think of all parks and woodland in state hands- from Glenveigh in Donegal down the whole length of the country- another that comes to mind is Johnstown Castle and Estate in Wexford, Moorepark in Cork, Lots of land in Clare/Limerick, Athenry demense etc etc....

What would be really interesting is if members of the original families banded together and tried to reclaim their familial lands. In my own family's case- we eventually bought them back about 10 years ago, reversing the diminished fortunes of their then incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

In looking at Cromwell, one of the the most important things to remember is that the 1640s saw the greatest demographic upheaval in Irish history, far greater than the Famine. That's how my lecturer put it to us. The Catholic Confederates of Ireland had used the Civil War in England as an oppurtunity for their own advancement, and as in 1916, many English did not like the fact that 1) the Irish/ Old English had tried to take advantage of the situation and 2) most political dealings the Confederates had were with the King, and Cromwell had just defeated the King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

he actually had to chill out
    Now theres's phrase I never thought I'd see on a Cromwell thread.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Cromwell was a great man, how dare people try and denigrate such a democrat and pacifist!!

Thanks to all. This has been a fascinating discussion. I am curently reading "The Rebels of Ireland" by Edward Ruthurford. He shows cromwell from the Irish Catholic, Irish Protestant and English Puritan viewpoint. We were taught the English view in Canadian School which showed Cromwell as a founder of modern democracy. Ireland was never mentioned.

Yes, siege warfare at the tiem justified Cromwells actions at Drogheda, however for a puritan to go against biblical, love your enemy, philosophy Cromwell's light diminishes. It diminishes further with his slaughter of priests and other civilians.

clonycavanman, I'm glad the Irish had the gumption to get their country back. As the offspring of Irish parents I love my ancestral country and find the whole history quite sad. As I see different Irismen more interested in their own gain as opposed to the good of all the Irish.

Dub in Glasgo; is that tongue-in-cheek?

Happy Easter all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Dub in Glasgo; is that tongue-in-cheek?

Yep :)

Advertisement