Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway

• 21-03-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭

Is subway actually healthy or is it just as bad as mcdonalds and all the other take outs? I work just around the corner from a subway and tend to eat there everyday so any info would be appreciated as I dont want to find myself turning into a fat lard in a few months from eating too many meatball marinaras

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

it is if you dont eat too much meat and no sauces. i saw a programme once and it said that the sauces were where the pounds get piled on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They have healthy options like, Roast chicken and vegetables, which appear to be good for you (look at the guy who lost 300 pounds on the subway diet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

he did that through exercising every day and eating lettice sandwiches. if anyone tells you otherwise its propaneganda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i love the orast chicken or the small pieces of beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I dont want to find myself turning into a fat lard in a few months from eating too many meatball marinaras

Use common sense and go for healthy options, perhaps saving the meatball marinara's and other "higher fat" options to 1 a week (i.e. a Friday treat). Also, trying going elsewhere now and again, or bring in the odd healthy lunch made at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Whatever you do, don't have the tuna!!!

They usually have nutrition guides at Subways so pick one up next time your there. Go for wheat or honey oat bread, no cheese or sauces, lots of salads and something like turkey or roast chicken and that should keep it healthy.

Whatever you do, don't have the tuna!!! Like 550 kcals in a 6 inch. They put it in full fat mayo.

They usually have nutrition guides at Subways so pick one up next time your there. Go for wheat or honey oat bread, no cheese or sauces, lots of salads and something like turkey or roast chicken and that should keep it healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    Is subway actually healthy or is it just as bad as mcdonalds and all the other take outs?

Do you see many sprightly octogenarians in the queue most days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is it just me or does anyone get the smell of puke when they walk into a subway?

they are so nice, but that smell just puts me off completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cremo wrote:
    is it just me or does anyone get the smell of puke when they walk into a subway?

I think that might just be you... I usually get the smell of fresh bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Cremo wrote:

Have you ever walked into a nightclub toilet at 3am and smelled fresh bread? I don't think so! What you're smelling is the yeast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I've started having subways a lot more recently... was a bit daunting in my youth. Anyway that meatball sub, with plenty of veg and plenty of ranch/s.western sauce... oh gawd... tis a dream. Think I'll have to pick one up today

I had the ultimate sub the other day. It was roast chicken, marinara sauce, cheese, mayo, black olives, lettuce, cucumbers on honey oat bread. Yum...

15350411a463435233b493959872l.jpg

Looks nasty but it was sooooooo good

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Ladylotts that sound delicious. I've yet to try Subway despite the fact they are around the corner from where I work. Just always seems too packed at lunchtime especially with secondary school students so I don't bother.

Well according to my Weightwatchers Eating Out Guide which gives foods points for the amount of calories and saturated fat they contain, some examples are:

All based on 6 inch subs

Classics:
    Chicken Fajita 6 points
    Chicken Tikka 6.5 points
    Egg Mayo 7 points
    Italian BMT 8.5 points
    Meatball 9.5 points (this seems to be the highest on the list)
    Pizza 7 points

Salads:
    Chicken Breast 2 points
    Tuna Mayo 4.5 points
    Turkey Breast 1.5 points
    Veggie Delite 0.5 points

Wraps:
    Steak and Cheese 6 points

7 under 6:
    Ham 4 points
    Roast Beef 4 points

Well that’s just some samples I have a lot more in the book if anyone wants to know.

I haven’t been following WW in ages but I’d say 9.5 could be high enough for just a lunch especially if you have an inactive job and are having a dinner when you get home. I’m quite petite and only around 5ft 1in and was allowed 18 points per day. Men are allowed more and your height obviously would effect your points allowance. BTW I don’t work for WW! Just it’s the only diet that’s worked for me longterm. Being at my target for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    Is subway actually healthy or is it just as bad as mcdonalds and all the other take outs? I work just around the corner from a subway and tend to eat there everyday so any info would be appreciated as I dont want to find myself turning into a fat lard in a few months from eating too many meatball marinaras
    I'd imagine that as well as the sauces, it's the actual Bread Rolls that could potentially pile on the pounds if you're eating Subs 5 times a week.

Best solution would to cut out the roll every second day and go with a wrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭lau1247

the perfect sub IMO

Footlong "subway club" with any bread..
    It has ham, turkey, and steak..

I put on lettuce, red onion, cucumber and jalapeno peppers..

For sauce, this is the best part which I think made it all worth while.. no matter what other said about it being the worst..

Southwest and sweet onion sauce.. Heaven!!

Urm, I think this is a great mix because normally people think they are only allowed to choose one sauce only..

How would you build yours?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I usually just get a simple 6" with chicken and a light helping of bbq sauce, sometimes minus the sauce.

Better then McDonalds but even so it can be bad for you if you're eating them all the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

HavoK wrote:
    I usually just get a simple 6" with chicken and a light helping of bbq sauce, sometimes minus the sauce.

Better then McDonalds but even so it can be bad for you if you're eating them all the time...

Go for something like 6 inch beef on wheat with vegetables and no sauce and you're looking at less than 300 calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I lost my Subway virginity yesterday with a 1 foot Cheesesteak, pickles, onions, jalapenos & ranch-something sauce. With Walkers cheese & onion crisps washed down with a full-fat coke.

Going back for another 12-incher today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Bah. Liking Subway is becoming a bit of a cliché... I remember when there were only two in the city, and nobody knew what they were. Bah. It's like 'Anchorman' all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

NoelRock wrote:
    I remember when there were only two in the city, and nobody knew what they were.
    I remember it too, people looking at you like a freak when you said these things were called "subs", still a stupid name IMO. Used to get student vouchers for them back in the day.

They are pretty much as bad as mcd's or burger king. You can do the same thing and ask for no sauces on your burgers in mcs and bk and they will be about the same calorie/g wise.

rubadub wrote:
    They are pretty much as bad as mcd's or burger king. You can do the same thing and ask for no sauces on your burgers in mcs and bk and they will be about the same calorie/g wise.

That's actually a really good point...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if you want healthy dont eat fast food, simple really.
    if you want mouthwatering calorie goodness however - go for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭lau1247

if you slap on a sandwich at home with white bread, ham, salami, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and probably mayonaise.. do you consider that as healthy??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

lau1247 wrote:
    if you slap on a sandwich at home with white bread, ham, salami, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and probably mayonaise.. do you consider that as healthy??

Actually without the mayo part, that isn't UNhealthy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I love subway. Even if it is as unhealthy as BK or McDonald's i don't care because i'm always still hungry after them but Subway fills me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

My fav sub has to be a footlong Meatball on wheat with about 3 helpings of jalapenos, tomatoes, lettuce, gherkins, cucumber, no sauce and no cheese. Its the nicest thing ever. More jalapenos the better.

Advertisement