Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in a Hurry

• 21-03-2006 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I have just moved to Ireland and need to get connected in a hurry as it will be my link back to the office.
    I move into a place in Kinsale Cork at the weekend. How long should i expect to have to wait and what are the best options. There are a couple of wireless providers who look to be a quicker route than waiting to get a phone line and DSL. Any sugestions for the quickest turn around?

Thanks
    Nick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Welcome:)
    Wireless would probably be the quickest turn around but might not have the reliability you'll need, depending on the provider.
    Do you know if the new phone line will be connected to a broadband enabled exchange? If the local exchange is not enabled or your new line fails the BB test then wireless may be your only option.
    It may be an idea to go for the wireless option with the shortest or no contract to get you up and running. Then when the phone line is installed and DSL setup you can dump the wireless.
    If you post the wireless options available to you then some of the lads here might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Don't use Irish Broadband, even if your life depends on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

start off by checking the OLD number

put phone in socket

dial 199000 (does not require account with eircom)

put the number it talks back into line checker on internet , it will be like

or

the number for the line checker then is

022 43321

checker is here

http://www.netsource.ie/prequal.asp

then ring 1800503303

(tell them you own the house and are not renting)

ensure that they note the pass on the line and are prepared to provide BB on it , you will have to get a new number like 022 45678 and then ask them to connect the line and give you an account number and do not make you wait 1 month for a test because you have passed

if you do not get anything when you dial 199000 then you must simply sign up as a new customer and wait up to a month for the line test on the new number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

if you're going with dsl, digiweb had my modem sent out and the line enabled 4 days after placing my order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aus404

Thanks for the tips especially checking 199000. I get acces to the property tomorrow so I'll see then.
    DSL is what I've always used in the past and already have a dsl router so for relaiability thta might be the best bet.
    Rapidbroadband are the wireless provider I am considering, both for a quick turnaround and as I 'll have a symetrical connection which is better for me as a remote worker. Whats the latency normally like? ( The unwired.com.au service in Sydney & Melbourne was as fast as DSL)

• Advertisement
Advertisement