Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCD Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

60 squids is a bit steep when there's only one big act. I'm not a fan of this multiples stages lark either. Pump the money into getting a good line-up for one stage, and stick on a couple of djs somewhere else butI saw the timetable. A few of the decent support bands are on at the same time as Bellx1 which is a wreck the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Thing is 2 weeks before my and most people's finals. Terrible time to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Spiraling costs e.g. Ticket, Tux, Drink on the night - have forced me to improvise. Im thinkin, a few cans and sitting/hiding near the bushes/trees to eitherside of the car park and enjoyin the sound of bell X1 through the tent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

ok I've an idea not sure how viable it is though....

Darams house anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Spiraling costs e.g. Ticket, Tux, Drink on the night - have forced me to improvise. Im thinkin, a few cans and sitting/hiding near the bushes/trees to eitherside of the car park and enjoyin the sound of bell X1 through the tent!
    If the weather is anything like now it is going to......*stops and listens to thunder*.....be ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

it is a good idea but 60 quid is too much and its too close to exams!! they should have the likes of this is september when no one has **** all to worry about exam wise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

scraggs wrote:
    ok I've an idea not sure how viable it is though....

Darams house anyone???

being down there myself, unfortunatly I dont think theres and door inside the venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I don't think 60 is overly steep but it isn't cheap either, the main hidden cost is in the dresswear. The lineup wouldn't be all to my tastes but it is a decent lineup by all standards. I think the timing of the ball could be a little earlier but it is an end of year ball afterall.

In summary something along these lines would probably make it a big success.

- Cut down to 2 stages and have a DJ set (It's not Glastonbury!)
    - Get rid of formal wear and bring in casual wear (Gigging in a tux? A needless cost)
    - Have it first week back after easter break (A month before summer exams)
    - Charge 50 euro (Similar linep to this year, economical enough for students)

and you should have a highly successful UCD Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'd love to see the future kings of spain but other then that i don't think anyone good is playing. No way would i pay €60 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Seems like they arent selling at all well, especially now that they're bringing in that you can put down a deposit for tickets.

My friend bought a ticket during the week, and it was number 60 or something, so if they've been sold starting at one... it doesnt look good!

I'm not going, cant afford it with the saving i'm trying to do for canada. and it is too close to the exams really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

beanyb wrote:
    Seems like they arent selling at all well, especially now that they're bringing in that you can put down a deposit for tickets.

My friend bought a ticket during the week, and it was number 60 or something, so if they've been sold starting at one... it doesnt look good!

I'm not going, cant afford it with the saving i'm trying to do for canada. and it is too close to the exams really.

jesus thats pretty bad

although i doubt that's the case. I suppose the ball has to start somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

beanyb wrote:
    :eek:

I can't believe that. 60 tickets sold out of 5,000 would probably bankrupt the union! I reckon they're struggling but I have no doubt there has been far more sold than that amount. Simply IMO the ents office has tried to make the ball too big too soon. The ball is only in its infancy and they should be trying to gradually establish it. Maybe lessons will be learned for next year but I still hope it will turn out to be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

tbh I doubt they're being sold in strict numerical order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

Oh man..... just realised I don't know a single person who's going to the UCD Ball and I know loads of people. a total liquidation of the union when after a reasonably successful year the Ents Officer manages to cripple the Union in one foul blow..... not the first time

wait till Thursday evening and Friday morning when they come into the bar and start trying to flog tickets for a fiver to try and get people to go........

Then the people who paid 60 will feel like twits. Its happened before in UCD, the last Freshers' Ball on campus years ago the nearly bankrupted the union.

Bottom line, students just don't care. The mob is fickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

I wonder.... from a damage limitation point of view, how much it would cost to just cancel it?
    How much does it cost to run and where is the break even point? How much do all thosebands and stages cost? I'm hoping the Ball is being run on a worst case scenario plan of action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

guys tickets sales are well well above 60 and were the very first day they went on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

gliondar wrote:
    wait till Thursday evening and Friday morning when they come into the bar and start trying to flog tickets for a fiver to try and get people to go........
    Yea I can def see that happening.

lads that's never going to happen, tickets for a 5iver not a chance.

Maybe not at a fiver, but still not full price.

Nope... very much doubt it. Nearly 2500 sold at this stage, and loads more will only go to get them in the days coming up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Still €60? Don't think i'll bother, if it was cheaper maybe, sure I my debs was around that (although I didn't bother going to that either :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

So I'm going. What will getting home from this be like? Do you reckon it'll be easy enough to get a taxi? I'm assuming the taxi's will know they'll be wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You just know it's in trouble when you get lecture addresses and the Ents officer pulling stupid stunts.

Do you reckon it'll be easy enough to get a taxi?
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You'll be waiting a while for a taxi I bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Pythia wrote:
    You just know it's in trouble when you get lecture addresses and the Ents officer pulling stupid stunts.
    I was in the restaurant with a friend last week when we were interrupted by the Ents idiot heading some asinine gimmic involving a megaphone and two other cretins dressed as a donkey. I wished bad things upon them.

there will be no prob getting a taxi home as there will be a car park reserved for taxis and all the taxi companies will be informed, also there will probably be some sort of bus service operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

zap wrote:
    there will be no prob getting a taxi home as there will be a car park reserved for taxis and all the taxi companies will be informed, also there will probably be some sort of bus service operating.

I'd foresee there being some problems getting a taxi, I'm just hoping it's not a total cock up of organisation and everyone is left to get a taxi standing on the side of the dual carriageway. Where did you hear about the car park of taxi's and bus services?

people won't be on the side of the dualer waiting for taxis, there won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

gliondar wrote:

yeah i can see that happening - well maybe around 20e, but yeah.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    I understand where all of you are coming from as regards the over-promotion (and I do agree - people are getting the wrong end of the stick as regards tickets sales because it's over-promoted like this) but in fairness, you can't say that lecture addresses are a bad sign when you haven't seen a successful UCD Ball to compare promotional methods to. It's not as if you can go "oh, last year the UCD Ball sold out and they didn't need to do lecture addresses" or anything like that.

Advertisement