Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCD Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

zap wrote:
    there will be no prob getting a taxi home as there will be a car park reserved for taxis and all the taxi companies will be informed, also there will probably be some sort of bus service operating.

It's one thing to inform taxi companies, it's a whole different ball game having an agreement with taxi companies to have taxis there.

It's a friday night, it's hard enough to get a taxi in town alone. You'll all prob get a taxi. Jsut don't be under the impression you'll walk out of the main stage and it's there waiting for you. Be prepared to go out to dueller and hail taxis on their way back to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Anybody else see the posters along the walkways today? Feckin hilarious I thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Scraggs wrote:
    Anybody else see the posters along the walkways today? Feckin hilarious I thought!!
    On one of those three posters...

...spot the Boardsie!

I knew it! I was gonna PM ya...

Thats so cool, keep a few and show your grand kids!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

We got a lecture address today where we were told that the UCD Ball is no longer formal but "smart casual" - looks like a last gasp effort to get the people who aren't going because they don't want to wear a tux :S

• Advertisement

I know they seem rather desperate to sell tickets..I was a doubter myself.. but after talking to people turns out there seem to beloads going! When I was at the Arts Day stand way back, the Ball desk was beside us and they had a steady stream of punters for the couple of hours I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Scraggs wrote:
    ...the Ball desk was beside us and they had a steady stream of punters for the couple of hours I was there.
    Um, nah.

See, they paid those people to make a big queue, so as to make it look like more ppl were buying tickets, and therefore vicariously that the whole event was much more popular than it actually is.

Like in the Simpsons where they're at Itchy & Scratchy Land, when they discover a long queue - "Wow, if the line's this long, the ride's gotta be good!" - only for it to be a queue of those waiting to get at the Complaints Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

SebtheBum wrote:
    Um, nah.

See, they paid those people to make a big queue, so as to make it look like more ppl were buying tickets, and therefore vicariously that the whole event was much more popular than it actually is.

Like in the Simpsons where they're at Itchy & Scratchy Land, when they discover a long queue - "Wow, if the line's this long, the ride's gotta be good!" - only for it to be a queue of those waiting to get at the Complaints Office.

Do you really think so? Or is it like that time in The Office where David Brent is trying to be funny but he's not really?
    I don't understand why everyone is dissing the Ents office this year, apart from Education and Welfare it's the only active office in the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

On one of those three posters...

...spot the Boardsie!

OMG, are you buckie-boy? If so I recognise you - you're bloody everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't understand why everyone is dissing the Ents office this year, apart from Education and Welfare it's the only active office in the Union.

So you're saying it's not the only active office then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Pythia wrote:
    So you're saying it's not the only active office then?

Good point. No I mean it's been the most active office all year. Granted, it's easier to get a band for the student bar etc... than force the college to back down on modularisation but I really think that after the spate of poor Ents offices we've had over the last few years people would at the very least be glad about how good it is this year; TNL is back, the Battle of the Bands actually happened not to mention a Fresher's Festival on campus (usually financial suicide for the union) and then the first UCD Ball ever.
    In actual fact everyone just seems to be sneering at everything, it just doesn't make sense. Even if they personally don't like the officer they should be able to admit that he's done a good job this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Welfare was good, but what did education do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Education ran the entire campaign to inform 2nd years about modularisation which we'd previously been told wouldnt affect us. And she did a pretty damn good job too. And I'm sure there was lots of background work that doesnt lead to much glory.

I have a feeling you might just be trying to get a reaction out of Vainglory with that post though.

beanyb wrote:
    Education ran the entire campaign to inform 2nd years about modularisation which we'd previously been told wouldnt affect us. And she did a pretty damn good job too. And I'm sure there was lots of background work that doesnt lead to much glory..

Didn't that just involve an e-mail and a few lecture addresses? On its own that is nothing huge.
    beanyb wrote:
    I have a feeling you might just be trying to get a reaction out of Vainglory with that post though.
    I was hoping that she would answer as she is probably best-placed to blow her own trumpet.

Yeah they got the college to change the entire policy of modularising all 2nd years next year with just an email and a few lecture addresses. :rolleyes:

beanyb wrote:
    Yeah they got the college to change the entire policy of modularising all 2nd years next year with just an email and a few lecture addresses. :rolleyes:
    You said that she informed you. You said nothing about changing the policy.

Was this the noise protest which disrupted the lectures with wistles and shouts, to protest at the disruption of lectures?:rolleyes:
    Since only about 200 (at most) turned out it could hardly have been that influencial. Most likely they realised that it would be too difficult and therefore put it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Since only about 200 (at most) turned out it could hardly have been that influencial. Most likely they realised that it would be too difficult and therefore put it off.
    My thoughts exactly

The noise protest was only a small part of a long campaign. As far as I've gathered anyway, a lot of work was put in with the college authorities that led to the change of policy.

What I meant was, the campaign they ran to get the registrar to tell the 2nd years what was going to happen to their degrees, which they did pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

This is ridiculously off topic and deliberately provocative.

Firespinner, if you'd like me to email you my end of year report, all 3500 words of it, which includes details on Access Week (which I organised), the Grants Campaign (which was a year long campaign from my office), the Modularisation Campaign (incidentally, I had been begging the university to send an email and a letter informing students of the proposed changes for MONTHS before the protest, they refused to do it until after the protest), the new Price Monitoring Agreement with the Campus Bookshop, the new IT facilities for the SU bookshop, etc etc, blah blah, then PM me your email.

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

beanyb wrote:
    Education ran the entire campaign to inform 2nd years about modularisation which we'd previously been told wouldnt affect us. And she did a pretty damn good job too
    i'm in 2nd and i recieved no info from the SU education office about modularisation.

ferdi wrote:
    i'm in 2nd and i recieved no info from the SU education office about modularisation.

We didn't give the information directly, we campaigned to ensure that the university did.
    Did you receive a letter from the Registrar detailing proposed changes to your course? What course do you do?

Vainglory wrote:
    Firespinner, if you'd like me to email you my end of year report, all 3500 words of it, which includes details on Access Week (which I organised), the Grants Campaign (which was a year long campaign from my office), the Modularisation Campaign (incidentally, I had been begging the university to send an email and a letter informing students of the proposed changes for MONTHS before the protest, they refused to do it until after the protest), the new Price Monitoring Agreement with the Campus Bookshop, the new IT facilities for the SU bookshop, etc etc, blah blah, then PM me your email.
    Or come to Council, where singingstranger will have the enviable task of taking minutes for the entire presentation...

Or come to Council, where singingstranger will have the enviable task of taking minutes for the entire presentation...

Good Lord man, I won't be doing any presentation! It's 3500 words long!!

Vainglory wrote:
    Good Lord man, I won't be doing any presentation! It's 3500 words long!!
    /me blesses self

Thank you, God...

Blush_01 wrote:
    OMG, are you buckie-boy? If so I recognise you - you're bloody everywhere!
    I am all seeing and all knowing! Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :D

Either that or you're a little manslut :p

Scraggs wrote:
    Either that or you're a little manslut :p
    Either that or I was around the Union offices when they were looking for people to help out with the photos...

I'll be there anyway

• Advertisement

I'll be there anyway

*quakes in proverbial boots*

Advertisement