Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCD Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

About 1000 left, but I would think they'll stick to their guns and not flog them at cut-price unless it's at a whim at the very, very last minute. Wouldn't count on it, though, they're quite adamant that they're not going to be made cheaper.
    1000!!!! If they sold nearly 3000 then they have about 25% left. Have they broken even. Pity about the price, I won't go unless its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

About 1000 left, but I would think they'll stick to their guns and not flog them at cut-price unless it's at a whim at the very, very last minute. Wouldn't count on it, though, they're quite adamant that they're not going to be made cheaper.

How many do they have to sell to break even? It is getting to the stage where it looks like some will have to go cut price, that is how I got my tickets for the freshers ball the year it was on campus, and I only went to that because I was already drunk in the student bar and the tickets were cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Not 100% sure it's true, but I heard a rumour that they have to sell 84% to break even. But the Trinity Ball loses money most years too, and it is it's first year, so making a huge profit on it was probably unlikely anyway.

How well did it sell in the end? I know Anto said that they could not lose more than 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Can kind of hear it now. Hate being in library at this hour! Just checking emails while I wait for a lift.
    Perfect day for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

i can hear it well bangin out from the science floor.sittin beside window.

wreckin my buzz. i think its tiefschwarz,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

aye we used make a huge loss - tis why it almost didnt happen last year (and due to lateness in it actually getting sorted we lost a couple of bigger names) - MCD are involved in it now so trinity never lose money :D MCD take the burden of the loss for the next few balls! :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i personally know UCD,D people that wouldnt go, based on the fact that its not as " well known" as the trinity ball....

bah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm sad enough to have completely forgotten that it was actually on.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Those feckin barriers all over the place near Comp Sci helped remind me it was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

So, who went?
    Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

I went. I thought it was brilliant! Bellx1 blew me away. I was up v close too which was an added bonus! The pit stage wasnt there tho and that left me confused for a few minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Yeah, Bell x1 were rather fantastic in terms of fantasticness. Front row centre, baby. Woot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Yeah Bell X1 (though they were the only band I saw) were AMAZING. As the stranger who sings sadi: FRONT ROW CENTRE BABY.

Oh yeah, I must congratulate the organisers on there being very little incident for an event of its size. Kudos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

I was there too. I saw the end of the Musical Show, Director, The Blizzards and Bell X1. The atmosphere was really good. I wouldn't hazard a guess at how many people were there but there were a good few anyway. Did anyone else get one of those crepes from the stall at the back of the car-park? Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I liked it too, I'm glad I went. :)

Though I thought that there wasn't that much too do after bell x1. Maybe they should have saved them to the last and not the poor Damien Dempsey chap. There wasn't too much interest in him.

However, that they changed the event from black tie to smart casual obviously left a few people to their mad creativity.
    Anyone seen all these guys wearing tux jacket and stuff, but then shorts and the oldest possible trainers?
    Oh yeah, and who posed for a pic with spider man?!!

Unfortunately, it was sort of impossible for a while to get a drink served in the forum bar. I didn't quite understand why there were only two guys working the bar.

It was much easier to get it spilled all over the dress though. Me being in the forum bar for 2 min, drunk blondie turns around, spills all her bear over me, starts apologising endlessly and trying to rubb it off my dress....with her hands.... funny girl. But at least she felt so sorry, I couldn't even be mad at her any more.
    ;)

i personally know UCD,D people that wouldnt go, based on the fact that its not as " well known" as the trinity ball....

bah?

Meh, it was a good night though. I was surprised coming into UCD,D and not hearing anything at all, and then getting lost since I assumed i'd just 'follow the music'. Bell X1 were, to my surprise, quite good. They sucked when I saw them before in the Olympia. Then the Republic of Loose were well cool.

I'd say around 2,000 people were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I heard it was a savage night -I'm raging now I didnt go... but theres always next year right?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It sucks being in final year. would have gone otherwise - did ye lot who went wear tuxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

It was like a maximum security prison but I managed to get in - pm me for the blueprints - evaded 4 security barriers, eventually got backstage, and then got caught backstage and thrown into the crowd;)
    Sadly I was the only one out of 9 to get in so it was kinda ****. Way too few ppl around and Republic of loose just seemed like wa*kers the way they were treating the crowd. The techno room was deadly, shame there was so few ppl though, the red bull van was also cool. Worst part was the maze they created at the end for ppl to get out - such a mess.
    overall not great though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

well i for one had a savage nite, ye most ppl wore tux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Congrats to Anto Kelly and everyone involved in putting the whole thing together, sounds like it was quite successful - and given that it was the first (hopefully of many) UCD Ball, that's not to be sniffed at.

I'm going to go next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'm surprised that more people aren't making any sort of a fuss about the fact an entire stage was cancelled. How does that happen the day before the gig is meant to go ahead ffs? I understand these things sometimes happen, but there was no explanation at all. I bought my ticket on Friday afternoon, fully expecting the pit stage to be running, what with all the posters everywhere with the line up and a big f*ck off promise of 4 stages. 2 of the 3 bands I particularly wanted to see ended up being cancelled (FKOS and Stone Roses Experience). The least Anto Kelly or whoever responsible could have done was put up a poster of explanation/apology at the ball just to let people know what the situation was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I know 5 people who got in for free, just went up to some security guards and walked straight in! They were saying a lot of people got in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

If some acts were cancelled, then you should be entitled to a partial refund of your €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

If some acts were cancelled, then you should be entitled to a partial refund of your €60.
    I wouldn't even be looking for that. Just thought it was rude that they didn't even tell anyone what the story was.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

They moved the time from 8 to 7 at the last minute as well didn't they?

Which acts were cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

They moved the time from 8 to 7 at the last minute as well didn't they?

Which acts were cancelled?
    FKOS and Stone Roses Experience.

Yeah, changed from 8 to 7 at the last minute, no real announcement as such - I only noticed when I went to the SU shop to buy some smokes...

Obviously, as the first event of its kind on campus, there were teething problems, but by and large the consensus seems to be that it went well. I've been forced to eat my words too, as I reckoned it would be a catastrophic failure, but meh; I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

They moved the start time to fit in the bands from the canncelled stage. Stone Roses Exp played the student bar which was amazing apparently, but nobody was told beforehand which was kinda ****ty.

Advertisement