Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Performance Chipping

Options
  • 22-03-2006 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about chipping my A4 tdi 100bhp.It will bring it up to 143bhp according to the company that I enquired from and they will charge €400 for the job and it would take 4 hours.They said it does affect manufacturers warranty and is not traceable by insurance companies.It is also guaranteed for life

Has anybody got this done before?
    Did you inform your insurance Co?
    Does it affect the engine / car in any bad ways?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So you will have no warranty and you risk voiding your insurance. I wouldn't do it. You will risk wearing out the engine quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Rather than rechip, consider a remap of your existing chip. AFAIK this doesn't effect warranty, but you should check.

Naturally, you should advise your insurance company of any car modifications that can effect a claim or premium

Most tuners advise that the engine may be effected, but only to a small degree, but that over an engine design life of 100,000s of miles, 5% is not bad. Others say that because of our all round cooler climate, compared to continental europe, there should be no negative effects. Take your pick.

Who are you thinking of using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Check out www.superchips.co.uk

I would definitely do this and would be one of the first things I do to a deisel car. It can improve the performance of a deisel car as well as increase fuel ecomony.

Re-mapping is normally better than getting the car chipped though.

But check out the above site they have blue fin as well which means you can controll the output.

Worth the money for a deisel car but not for a petrol car IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

kluivert wrote:
    Re-mapping is normally better than getting the car chipped though.

http://www.autoremap.ie/

These are based in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Got a quote from Logic Automotive to remap €400.Anybody experiences of these guys?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

€400 seems like a lot to remap the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Remapped/chipped... they're both the same at the levels of which are being discussed here.

Some companies provide a warranty with their remap/chip.

If you tell your insurance company (I did) you may find it doesn't affect your premium.

With normal servicing, there's nothing to suggest the life of the engine will be affected.

Time and time again, I see people put up their opinions on chipping on this website and any negative ones, 99.9% of the time, it's pure ignorance on their part.

The 1.9TDI engine produces at least 150bhp from the factory in other models so WHY would the thing suddenly fall apart??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Big Balls wrote:

Time and time again, I see people put up their opinions on chipping on this website and any negative ones, 99.9% of the time, it's pure ignorance on their part.

Too true,

Another point thats overlooked is the extra benifit to be had considering additional mod's before the map,eg air filter and exhaust then having the car mapped around them to see the best gains.

Advertisement