Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regurgitating Dog

Options
  • 22-03-2006 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

I have a 5mth old Boxer Bitch, recently she has started to regurgitate water after drinking from her bowl. We thought that she was just drinking too fast and being greedy so we fed her water in small amounts. This seemed to be working, However, this morning she even started regurgitating the small amount of water she was given.

This doesn't happen with her food at all just her water. She is still eating fine (she is being fed Pedigree Dry Kibble for Puppies), putting up weight (she's 11kg), she was given her monthly treatment for worms at the weekend - but had been doing the whole regurgitation thing beforehand. She is up to date on all her innoculations. She pretty much lives inside with us.

I intend to take her to the Vet tomorrow but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Jackie is my first Dog so all this is new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had/have the same problem with one of our fellas. Vet couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Seems to be just quantity and speed of water intake that causes the problem.
    Lots of water mixed with air seems to cause liquid "burps".

We put his water bowl on a stand so he can drink standing up without having to bend his neck, this has helped a lot and he only rarely brings his water back up now.

Also we tell him repeatedly to slow down and not drink too much in one go ....after three years this seems to be taking some effect now:D

Another trick is to place some large pebbles/stones into the water bowl, so that your dog has to drink "around" them, slowing the whole process down a little.

But definitely have the vet check her first to rule out anything more sinister.

Advertisement