Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master of Puppets tribute album

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Speaking of covers, Sonata Arctica's version of Fade To Black was quite excellent.
    Oh, must get my hands on that.

I think that album sounds horrible, looks horrible and has oh so bland/crap bands. Mastodon might do a good cover though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thedaveman

it's really easy to assess this album
    bands that can't f**k it up - machine head, trivium, bfmv, chimiara and mastodon

bands that should never be let near the album - fightstar, mendeed(???), and funeral for a piece o' s**t, the artwork is indeed terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Beekay wrote:

Trivium sounds ok
    Machine Head...hmmmm
    Mendeed, Chimaria, Fightstar- no vocals - why? Maybe they are ashamed of how it came out?
    Bullet for My Bloody Valentine - weak ass vocals
    Mastadon - ok, but then again it is hard to screw up an instrumental
    Funeral For a Friend - terrible, simply terrible

Would I buy this album - based on what I heard....absolutely not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Trivium sounds ok
    Machine Head...hmmmm
    Mendeed, Chimaria, Fightstar- no vocals - why? Maybe they are ashamed of how it came out?
    Bullet for My Bloody Valentine - weak ass vocals
    Mastadon - ok, but then again it is hard to screw up an instrumental
    Funeral For a Friend - terrible, simply terrible

The Fightstar,BFMV and FFAF are the worst sounding so far.Especially the Funeral for a friend one,what is with the vocals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Trivium sounds ok

Eh, yeah because it just sounds exactly the same as the original. Matt Heafy is just shamelessly impersonating James Hetfield instead of actually singing himself. What's the point (apart from self indulgence)?

It comes free with a magazine :P

Oh and did anyone notice that there's a note wrong in Machine Head's version of the main chug-chug Battery riff (no I don't mean the fact that it's in D)?

It comes free with a magazine :P

Therefore I wouldnt even buy the magazine - in fact I would refuse a cd copy of this album recorded by a well meaning friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Oooh legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah I'm not so sure of this album either. Also I detest Trivium. Their music irritates me and their obsession with Metallica only adds to said irritation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Jesus the Funeral for a friend is f**kin terrible.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Dr.Poca wrote:
    Jesus the Funeral for a friend is f**kin terrible.....

No-one really expected better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Picked it up today, sure there are worse things to spend €3.40 on. Mastodon do a great cover (no surprise there), as does Chimaira which really suprised me cause I have never taken to them in the past. Machine head make a valiant effort but battery shouldnt be played in D and the rest of the album is pretty muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Sch!Sm

Was impressed by chimairas disposable heroes, liked puppets and orion sounded good too.
    Didnt really like battery and i'm a big machine head fan. Other than that, dear jesus who let BFMV in there, vocals sound like a 12 year old. I wont even comment on fightstar :eek:
    I just plain dislike FFAF so anyview on them wud be biased, mendeed's effort was pretty poor too.

Was worth the 3 sumtin for the couple good covers on it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I hate Trivium and i liked that cover i must say. Chimaira one was class. WAs very disappointed by BFMV though. I was kinda surprised at Fightstar and FFAF, but then the vocals came in so i turned it off. Didnt like Battery at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Sch!Sm

ye i thought trivium did a gr8 job but i would say that cos i'm a fanboy :p
    Mendeed's vocals really put me off, hadnt heard them b4, dont want to hear them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

ffaf is laughably bad

death to kerrang!!!!
    death to false metal!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Picked it up today - here's what I thought

Battery (Machine Head) - Excellent, beautifully heavy. Possibly better than the original
    Master of Puppets (Trivium) - Good, but vocals weren't quite right.
    The Thing That Should Not Be - Limp
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Vocals are way too weak.
    Disposable Heroes (Chimiara) - Was expecting worse, it's OK
    Leper Messiah - Ruined
    Orion (Mastodon) - Surprisingly mellow, but uninspiring
    Damage Inc. (Funeral for a Friend) - I don't like these guys, but I have to admit, I think they did an excellent job of this track. Certainly better than the original, possibly the best track on this album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Damage Inc. (Funeral for a Friend) - I don't like these guys, but I have to admit, I think they did an excellent job of this track. Certainly better than the original, possibly the best track on this album.

Wha? They didn't even get the riff right :eek:

Picked it up today - here's what I thought

Battery (Machine Head) - Excellent, beautifully heavy. Possibly better than the original

Sacrilege, heresy, may you burn in the fires of hell and may your genitals sprout wings and fly off (even if you did use the word 'possibly', still no excuse)

Are you seriously looking to get pointed at and mocked in the street? FFAF are quite possible the worse band on the album (with the exception of Fightstar).

And to lay claim that they have produced a cover that is better then the original, well it just gets me angry and aroused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The album, wasnt as terrible as I first anticipated. I didnt like Chimaira but was shocked that FFAF and Fightstar's efforts weren't as tragic as I initially thought. I liked Orion and Master of Puppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Sacrilege, heresy, may you burn in the fires of hell and may your genitals sprout wings and fly off (even if you did use the word 'possibly', still no excuse)

I dunno, its really a very "Machine Head" cover, nice and heavy, substantially faster, quite crunching, and I think it really suits the song. I hope that's enough justification to keep my genitals intact :cool:
    Ph3n0m wrote:
    Are you seriously looking to get pointed at and mocked in the street? FFAF are quite possible the worse band on the album (with the exception of Fightstar).
    And to lay claim that they have produced a cover that is better then the original, well it just gets me angry and aroused

I don't like Funeral for a Friend. I think their own material is poor. I've seen them live, supporting Therapy though and thought that their musicianship was actually quite solid. They did a stonking cover of Black Sabbath at the end of the set, so it doesn't actually surprise me that much that Damage Inc. is good here. Don't let your prejudice against FFAF influence you and listen again, they've changed the song unquestionably (as DoctorJ says, the riff isn't right, but have you considered that this may be intentional, there's no law against improving the original!) and I think they've changed it for the better. The new cover has a much better sound, really aggressive and it suits the track, I wasn't a great fan of the original but I think this cover's pretty good.

The one big let down for me was Mastodon, I was expecting great things and I didn't get them.

was that meant to be aimed at me :)

anyway Civilian Target - I am glad your genitals wont fly away - nobody should be without them.

I dont mind covers of songs - but I find it very difficult to believe any band can improve on the original - especially given the admittedly poor crop of bands performing on the album

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well I guess it is time to listen to this album if I can get my hands on it and give my infinitely great opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Nightwish wrote:
    The album, wasnt as terrible as I first anticipated. I didnt like Chimaira

I taught the Chimaira track was the best on the album, I felt that bringing back Andols was a masterstroke, and that his drumming made the song one of the heaviest....the vocals werent as 'original' or 'classic' as i would have liked, but I did feel that the album was generally fantastic. Ive got Trivium, BFMV, Mastodon, Machine Head and Chimaira on my mp3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Yea chimaira and trivium did reasonable justice with their songs, sticking to the script, making the riffs perfectly audible and clear and throwing in a bit of additional double bass to modernise things. But the rest is throw away material; As a whole, it's a shoddy cd with varying degrees of volume between songs and awful vocals throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Sacrilege, heresy, may you burn in the fires of hell and may your genitals sprout wings and fly off

I agree with what you say here
    Ph3n0m wrote:

Im confused by this, perhaps not the best choice of word in todays modern society....especially after insulting FFAF fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I believe the man meant what he said. :p

Im confused by this, perhaps not the best choice of word in todays modern society....especially after insulting FFAF fans

I stand by what I said - I was so angry about this, the blood had to rush somewhere - and it choose its own direction.

Plus some FFAF fans are cute - even if that makes me a pervert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Akaonimark

Here's a link to Trivium's cover. Quite mediocre.....

http://www.myspace.com/trivium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BloodLust

Overall i thought the tribute album was pretty cool.
    All of the bands i thought did a half decent job.I thought that "the thing that should not be" coverd by mendeed was deadly,the way thay changed it around abit and put in the blasts and stuff like that.B.F.M.V`s cover of "Welcome Home (Sanatorium)" i was shocked when i heard it.Such a classic song and i think thay coverd it well.I wasnt to fond of Matt from triviums vocals on "puppets" tho.Machine heads cover of "battery" was good.I think Chimaira did a Fuking good job on "Disposable Heroes".Mastodon`s cover of "Orion" was deadly,FightsStar`s cover for "Leper Messiah" was half decdent i have to admit even tho i absuality hate that cockmuchincunt and ffaf cover of 'Damage, Inc.' was ok.. I was just glad thay didnt put that emo **** on vocals that all.

So fair play to all of them thay did a good job i thought :)

Advertisement