Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Bronchiolitis etc ??

Options
  • 22-03-2006 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

My 7 week old daughter was admitted to hospital last week with Bronchiolitis. The docs told us that this is common in infants. Then my sister in law (who works for a health insurance company in Ireland) told me that the number of claims coming in for babies with bronchiolitis this winter is huge and apparently Cork seems to be the biggest offender (which is where we live). The staff in the hospital said that they were swamped with children coming in with this viral infection this winter.

Is anyone else not shocked by the amount of viral infections young babies are contracting these days??

In addition to this, during her time in the hospital (6 days) they saw signs from test results that she is lactose intolerant. Again the doc said this is common amongst young children (do they tell me things are common just to stop me freaking out!) and they often grow out of it. Anyway, we have switched formula to SMA LF (lactose free).

Has anyone else discovered their babies being lactose intolerant?

The past week has been very tough for my and my partner...this is our first child and didn't expect to be in feckin hospital so soon!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The weather has been unseasonible cold at the moment, so there are lots of things knocking about but I'm sure your little one will get the best of care.
    Yes it is will be tough but you will get through it.

As for the lactose intolerance it does happen, you will just have to learn when
    she is older what type of a diet she can have when she gets to the weaning stage.

Two of my cousins had lactose intolerance as children and one of them grew out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Is anyone else not shocked by the amount of viral infections young babies are contracting these days??

Get used to it! There are people who'll argue that the increase in viral infections is inversely proportional to the number of babies being breast-fed.

Don't be tempted to use antibiotics for viral infections though, they're no use and could contribute towards your child developing infantile asthma. See this article on the BBC news website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4801118.stm

As regards lactose intolerance, from kidshealth.org
    Most people eventually become lactose intolerant in adulthood - some while they are still in their teen years. Many health care providers view lactose intolerance as a normal human condition likely to occur in the majority of people in the world (especially as they get older), and therefore don't really consider lactose intolerance a true disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hughchal wrote:
    Get used to it! There are people who'll argue that the increase in viral infections is inversely proportional to the number of babies being breast-fed.

Don't be tempted to use antibiotics for viral infections though, they're no use and could contribute towards your child developing infantile asthma. See this article on the BBC news website:

About the breast feeding thing...that's just another little tactic from the people who like to harp on about how great breast feeding is...ours was breastfed for the first 2 weeks. It's a load of rubbish, while I was in the hospital there were lots of babies in there with the same condition and were breast-fed..the breast-feeding wagon likes to use scare tactics for some reason..We all know breast feeding is best, but the lobbyists should wise up and realise that scare tactics and intimidation aint the way to get people to consider breast feeding.

We didn't use anitbiotics for a viral infection (well, the doctors had that call) but they did give her antibiotics for a nasty infection in the right lung which was required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Is bronchiolitis a virus? Thought it was bacterial?

It is often caused by a viral infection called respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). RSV infections are responsible for more than half of all cases of the illness and are most widespread in the winter and early spring. (quoted).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had my daughter in hospital with same condition twice at eight and ten weeks old. Luckily we were not admitted. Doctor explained to me that it is a babies version of the cold that we adults get. Except it goes into their chest and will clear in own time. Thankfullt it did not affect my babies feeding.
    About your baby been lactose intolerant what were the symptoms as I am worried about my baby with reguard to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

My youngest gets this too and has it at the moment. He is on an inhaler which he is menat to take 4 times a day. I also have a dehumidifier in his room which helps him breathe and "cough" it out so to speak. The first sign of chestiness we give him his inhaler and the visits to doctor / hospital are reduced. Mind you he didnt have it at 7 weeks. It is a scary scary sound for anyone who has not heard it. Obviously the younger a child the more serious it can be as a baby cant clear its lungs as easier as an older child. It must have have been a traumatic week for you all. Hope all is well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

This was a bad year for respitory problems over here, too. My daughter had a sinus infection that went on for over a month.

She was also mildly lactose intolerent as an infant. She would get pretty gassy following a feeding, and just seemed generally uncomfortable with milk-based formula. The doctor said it could be lactose intolerence and we could try a non-milk formula. We ended up using a soy formula and she seemed to do better. She is 3 now and seems to do ok with dairy.
    the breast-feeding wagon likes to use scare tactics for some reason..We all know breast feeding is best, but the lobbyists should wise up and realise that scare tactics and intimidation aint the way to get people to consider breast feeding.

I agree. Over here, we are bombarded with this message all the time. If you choose not to breatfeed, or can't, you are looked at as if you are abusing your child.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Breast feeding in the states seems more common. Of all of my friends and family with cjhildren only one breastfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I think a lot of it has to do with going in and out of too warm enviroments into the cold. Cars, creches houses etc. I find most enviroments either to hot or too cold these days. Its seems to be impossible to regulate the temps.

• Advertisement

Efioanaes wrote:
    I had my daughter in hospital with same condition twice at eight and ten weeks old. Luckily we were not admitted. Doctor explained to me that it is a babies version of the cold that we adults get. Except it goes into their chest and will clear in own time. Thankfullt it did not affect my babies feeding.
    About your baby been lactose intolerant what were the symptoms as I am worried about my baby with reguard to this.

Efioanaes, we only copped on to the fact that she might be lactose intolerant when she was in hospital for the bronchiolitis and she had a few 'loose' bowel movements..and the nurse said it shouldn't be like that but we then said that she always had runny ones (sorry if I am grossing anyone out here ;) ) as being first time parents we thought that was a normal babies nappy...anyway the docs did a few tests and it came back as lactose intolerant. Since then we have noticed her skin has become much clearer and she never brings up any milk anymore whereas before she would often bring up a bit after a feed...we are now on SMA LF which she has taken to with no problems.

I know this is going away from the original thread topic..but hey, I started it :D

WICKL0W wrote:
    My youngest gets this too and has it at the moment. He is on an inhaler which he is menat to take 4 times a day. I also have a dehumidifier in his room which helps him breathe and "cough" it out so to speak. The first sign of chestiness we give him his inhaler and the visits to doctor / hospital are reduced. Mind you he didnt have it at 7 weeks. It is a scary scary sound for anyone who has not heard it. Obviously the younger a child the more serious it can be as a baby cant clear its lungs as easier as an older child. It must have have been a traumatic week for you all. Hope all is well now.

yeah, it was scary alright but the staff were great and helped in every way. I just hope that she will not become prone to these sort of things now!

I think a lot of it has to do with going in and out of too warm enviroments into the cold. Cars, creches houses etc. I find most enviroments either to hot or too cold these days. Its seems to be impossible to regulate the temps.

I think that has something to do with it alright TempestSabre...it was bitter a couple of weeks ago and we had the heating on a lot etc..it's hard to find a happy medium. hopefully we have seen the end of the cold snap for this winter and can start enjoying some walks etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

About the breast feeding thing...that's just another little tactic from the people who like to harp on about how great breast feeding is...ours was breastfed for the first 2 weeks. It's a load of rubbish, while I was in the hospital there were lots of babies in there with the same condition and were breast-fed..the breast-feeding wagon likes to use scare tactics for some reason..We all know breast feeding is best, but the lobbyists should wise up and realise that scare tactics and intimidation aint the way to get people to consider breast feeding.

That's unfortunate, you didn't really try for long enough. It takes at least 2 weeks to get started if it's the first child but that's also the time that you start tearing your hair out!. Also it can be difficult to start with because you seem to get conflicting information from different sources.

You're statement that breastfeeding "is a load of rubbish" is in itself, absolute twaddle. The mother's immunity gets passed on to their child through breastfeeding and that's just how it is. It's not a "tactic", it's a fact.
    Will it mean that the baby won't get ANY infections? Don't be ridiculous, of course they bloody will.

Sleipnir wrote:

That's unfortunate, you didn't really try for long enough. It takes at least 2 weeks to get started if it's the first child but that's also the time that you start tearing your hair out!. Also it can be difficult to start with because you seem to get conflicting information from different sources.

You're statement that breastfeeding "is a load of rubbish" is in itself, absolute twaddle. The mother's immunity gets passed on to their child through breastfeeding and that's just how it is. It's not a "tactic", it's a fact.
    Will it mean that the baby won't get ANY infections? Don't be ridiculous, of course they bloody will.

yes, and the first 2 weeks is very important because the colostrum and first milk is rich in goodness and mothers immunity..so she did get that..not sure what you mean when you say 'for long enough'!
    Also who said anything about babies not getting infections?

Advertisement