Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skyline or Impreza

Options

Comments

Quite like both of those cars too :)

Never driven either but from what Ive read I'd probably go for the STi. Just for more exciting handling over pure power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

never been in a Skyline, but have the Impreza 2.0 Turbo Sportwagon, and love the car to bits.

can highly recommend them, especially a great car for the streets of dublin.
    the STI should be quite a bit more fun too. looked at one in Swords, are indeed great cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

The 2.5 turbo Skylines arent really all that powerful tbh. Unless it was a 2.6 GTR i would pick the Scooby.
    But THAT Skyline is lovely.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Less skylines around and much more of a wow factor with them

draffodx wrote:
    Less skylines around and much more of a wow factor with them

This is definatly changing. Thre seems to be a hoop-load coming into the country. They are very popular with the modification crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sohandy

Kersh wrote:
    The 2.5 turbo Skylines arent really all that powerful tbh. Unless it was a 2.6 GTR i would pick the Scooby.
    But THAT Skyline is lovely.....

jaysus really thought they where more powerful.
    anytime i have seen one that mentions HP its been over 300.
    these must be mods then.

so would you know what the one in the link is around

sohandy wrote:
    jaysus really thought they where more powerful.
    anytime i have seen one that mentions HP its been over 300.
    these must be mods then.

so would you know what the one in the link is around

Methinks its the GTR that is around 280 and thats a twin turbo.
    I'm nearly sure the one you are looking at is only a single turbo.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline

Probably better off asking at one of the multitude of Skyline forums on the net thou.

The sky is the limit (pardon the pun) with skylines as their chassis can put an insane amount of power down on the road, especially the AWD models. Some Skylines have been tuned and modified well over the 1000bhp mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Skylines have to be 280bhp from the factory, Japanese law demands it, what they actually put out is a whole other issue.
    a little exhaust work and a new chip and you are looking at 400 easy.
    and as Ronoc says the skyline is quite easy to tune to 1000bhp.
    I prefer the R32 series for understated elegance, and Value especially the GTR version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would go for a gtr,or sti, i love the both of them but if i would prefer the skyline.

Ok, heres some info -
    R32 models -
    2.0 N/a has 155bhp.
    2.5 Gtst single turbo has 212bhp
    2.5 Gtst N/a has 180 bhp.
    2.6 GTR has 280bhp;)
    R33 models-
    2.5 Gtst single turbo has 250bhp
    2.6 GTR has 280bhp, and again ;) .
    R34 models
    2.5 Gt has 193 bhp
    2.5 Gtt has 280 bhp.

Im not sure which model is in your link, the 193 bhp , or the 280 bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Skyline, or get a P1 Impreza from somewhere (that's what I'd get!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A friend of a friend has a '98 2.6 twin turbo GTR, and it is a f**king bullet :D
    I love it to bits. Only been in it once but the acceleration was insane. Never been in the 2.5, but afaik they're RWD only, as opposed to the all-wheel drive GTR. Strikes me as a scary car to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=182438

theres the skyline you want.

Yes currently the market is flooding with them so probably wont have the wow factor for too long, still I think there nicer than an impreza

how is the market all of a sudden get flooded

are these imports.

i heard before to stay away from imports as mainly cause of the fuel they use in Japan is slightly different therefore having to make sure you have a little extra cash for servicing. so i will avoid imports but surely there are a lot that are not imports as well.
    obviuosly i will always ask before buying if it was or not.

that new link again that looks great. i still prefer the look of the one i posted but put the second 2.6 into the 2.5. twin turbo i mean my goodnes that would be very fast. careful now.

i think i would go for the 2.6 though you can always do it up

I am currently running 2 300zx twin turbos, one is remapped, the other is not, and I have had no problems with either, and both are imports.
    But trust me, get the GTR, the Gtst is a poor mans Skyline....;) :p *

*unless you like ar5e out action and want to do drifting/trackdays.

i want this one, i love the bodykit etc and it looks nice in white.i would just change the bonnet to a carbon fibre one.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=380702

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

drdre wrote:
    i want this one, i love the bodykit etc and it looks nice in white.i would just change the bonnet to a carbon fibre one.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=380702

Thats only a whinnneyy 2 Litre.

Id' go for a Skyline tbh, Impreza's make me fall asleep to look at. A skyline I think will always have that better WOW factor. They are absoloute amazing cars, I love to seem them drive by... The lovely smooth low pitch Exhaust noises etc... Not like the dirty impreza's sound. But they are both great cars.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Skyline tbh, way more fun although less practical.

Never driven a scooby mind, but had the lend of a friends 34 for a night... WOW :eek:

Theyre way overvalued in this country, do yourself a favour and hop over to the UK for the weekend and drive one home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

legacy b4 or audi s4.
    there is a tendency for jap cars to be a little bit on the tin-can side. it's so much nicer to have a car that's swish as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

I'd definitely bypass the single-turbo Skylines for a full-fat GTR (make sure it has been remapped for 95 octane, unless you're happy to use octane boosters).
    This would be my pick of the skylines available, if you can get it for <21K.
    Ken Lawford has been trying to flog this nice GTR for over 2yrs, so he may be willing to do a deal.

I'd personally pick an Evo over an Impreza, if I was that way inclined.
    As for the Legacy B4, the estate is better looking that the somewhat ugly saloon...nice sleeper alternative to the hairy-chested Skylines/Imprezas.

bmoferrall wrote:
    I'd definitely bypass the single-turbo Skylines for a full-fat GTR (make sure it has been remapped for 95 octane, unless you're happy to use octane boosters).
    This would be my pick of the skylines available, if you can get it for <21K.
    Ken Lawford has been trying to flog this nice GTR for over 2yrs, so he may be willing to do a deal.

I'd personally pick an Evo over an Impreza, if I was that way inclined.
    As for the Legacy B4, the estate is better looking that the somewhat ugly saloon...nice sleeper alternative to the hairy-chested Skylines/Imprezas.

he has had it for 2 years. now thats a ll time to be trying to sell a car.
    i thought something like that would be snapped up. it looks gteat. how could you say no to the power in that.
    if its not remapped is it a big deal money wise to get it remapped for 95 octane. and would any garage know how to do this.
    the single would be the poor mans but if the one i original posted is the 280HP i dont think i would turn my nose up to that. id say the GTR is quite a bit more money and i just bought a house so i guess i would have to go for the poor mans version.
    on know guys much rather performance but what can ye do.
    sure i will see how me finances are see if i can afford

Does anyone know what insurance would be on a GTR or a 2.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

sohandy wrote:
    he has had it for 2 years. now thats a ll time to be trying to sell a car.
    i thought something like that would be snapped up. it looks gteat. how could you say no to the power in that.
    He originally had it advertised for a ridiculous 44K!! He then wisely changed it to POA. Realistically, it's worth around 30K in our market.
    if its not remapped is it a big deal money wise to get it remapped for 95 octane. and would any garage know how to do this.
    I believe Trackday Performance will do it for a few hundred euros.
    the single would be the poor mans but if the one i original posted is the 280HP i dont think i would turn my nose up to that.
    Just my opinion, but I think the R34 is pig ugly, especially when it has bits and pieces tacked on.
    Does anyone know what insurance would be on a GTR or a 2.5?
    You could try 123.ie's 'special' offer. Probably no use to you in a crash, but at least fulfils the legal requirement :).

hey all

Was onto Peter Lawford in Ken Lawford.

They are looking for nearly €37000.
    they seems very steep compared to other GTR's there
    what the hell is with that
    i saw 97 GTR for around €24000
    is this guy taking the pi** or am i wrong

They are taking the piss, they have a Ferrari 348 there too for ages, I expressed an interest in it, if the prive were lower, they didnt accept, and its still there.... he is looking 60k for it, a 91 too... much cheaper to go UK and pay vrt...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I currently own an R34 GTT and have driven STIs and various models of EVO so I may be in a position to give you a fairly accurate comparison. First of all, it's not really fair to directly compare the 98/99 model STI or EVO to the R34 GTT as they are quiet different types of car. The STI/EVO is a 4WD 2.0 litre turbo charged rally bred nutmobile. They are designed for one purpose only - to go around, and accelerate out of, corners as fast as the laws of physics will allow. And they do this with a viscious sense of purpose.

The GTT on the other hand is more of a grand touring car. It's more comparable to a BMW M3 than to the STI/Evo. It has a 2.5 litre turbocharged engine with 280bhp (R33 GTST was only 250), is rear wheel drive and has the Nissan HICAS 4-wheel steering system. So power wise it is easily a match for the STI and EVO.

Traction wise the GTT is no real match for the 4wd of the STI/EVO. This would be especially apparent in wet/damp or poor surface conditions. The arse of the GTT is very light and really needs wider tyres than the 225s that are on it. That said, it's not that it's a bad handling car. In fact it handles better than most other cars you can name but it just can't cut it against the finest cornering machines ever made. The STI/Evo wins hands down in this area. One point to note, the GTT will not move at all in snow. Not even from ditch to ditch.

Acceleration wise the GTT is slower than the STI/EVO from 0-60. It's 0-60 time is only around 6 seconds because the rear wheels are just not capable of putting that much power to the road and end up spinning. But 60-120mph is very very quick. It'll top out somewhere after 160mph. I drove an Evo 6 there a few days ago and it reminded me again just how quick these cars can get to 60. There is no spinning, no tail waggin', just shotgun acceleration all the way from standstill in wet or dry. The GTT on the other hand has to be fettled and coaxed to 45/50mph or else it'll spin the rears and send the arse out. At any speed over 50mph thought there is no difference.

Looks wise...well that's really an individual thing. Some love them, some hate them. Personally I've wanted an R34 since I first seen one in the original Gran Turismo on the PlayStation. Never really had any heed on the R33 models. I think they look a bit "fat". Was never really too gone on the subarus although the older ones look better than the newer ones but are as common as muck these days. I love the Evo 5 and Evo 6. I think they look so evil in black. I actually went up to Dublin to buy a black evo 5 but seen the R34 and knew instantly I had to have it. The R33 model is relatively common on the roads now but the R34 is still rare. I've only ever met one other one the road. So it still gets the "what the **** was that?!?" stares from people. I have to admit though that it does look a bit "awkward" from some angles...

Comfort wise the GTT would be way ahead of the STI/EVO. As I said, it's a grand tourer.

Fuel economy...as they say, if you have to ask the mpg then you can't afford to run either one. It is possible to get over 20mpg...with the engine turned off.. Tax is 821 euros on the skyline...a good bit more than the 544 on the 2 litre subaru.

Maintenace wise... i don't really know yet. Tyres are in the region of 200 euro for both cars but the subaru will be changing the four tires for every change of the rears on the skyline.

Some people are throwing around the phrase "just buy the GTR" as if it was a 2 grand upgrade from the GTT....a '99 R34 GTR would be about the same price to import here as a nearly new Subaru. The R33 GTRs are still making around 25 grand....The Skyline GTR is one of the reasons why there is an STI or a Lancer Evo. Being better than the GTR was one of the main aims of both these cars....and it took the guts of 10 revisons of each of these to better what the Skyline GTR did in 3 revisions. Basically the R34 GTR is their daddy.
    Another thing, although getting 400bhp out of a skyline might be relatively "easy" it is not relatively cheap. 1000 euro might get you up to 320 but you'll easily spend another 7 or 8 grand before you'll see shades of a reliable 400bhp.

So to sum up, if you want to drive every journey like it's a rally stage then get the subaru. If you want to compromise a small bit of performance for some comfort, and a be a bit more original, then get the skyline. You won't be disappointed either way. If you have a spare 50 grand or so then buy a used R34 GTR and be content in the fact that you are driving one of the finest cars ever made... By the way, 21 grand is way too much money for that skyline you're looking at in Limerick. Mine is the exact same year, colour and spec,and has less mileage than that one except for the bling bling alloys and I bought it for a little over 18 grand all in. Shop around and you'll get a better deal.

sohandy wrote:
    hey all

Was onto Peter Lawford in Ken Lawford.

They are looking for nearly €37000.
    they seems very steep compared to other GTR's there
    what the hell is with that
    i saw 97 GTR for around €24000
    is this guy taking the pi** or am i wrong

There car prices are a rip off thats why they still have them or they would be sold ages ago.

Cerberus wrote:
    I currently own an R34 GTT and have driven STIs and various models of EVO so I may be in a position to give you a fairly accurate comparison. First of all, it's not really fair to directly compare the 98/99 model STI or EVO to the R34 GTT as they are quiet different types of car. The STI/EVO is a 4WD 2.0 litre turbo charged rally bred nutmobile. They are designed for one purpose only - to go around, and accelerate out of, corners as fast as the laws of physics will allow. And they do this with a viscious sense of purpose.

The GTT on the other hand is more of a grand touring car. It's more comparable to a BMW M3 than to the STI/Evo. It has a 2.5 litre turbocharged engine with 280bhp (R33 GTST was only 250), is rear wheel drive and has the Nissan HICAS 4-wheel steering system. So power wise it is easily a match for the STI and EVO.

Traction wise the GTT is no real match for the 4wd of the STI/EVO. This would be especially apparent in wet/damp or poor surface conditions. The arse of the GTT is very light and really needs wider tyres than the 225s that are on it. That said, it's not that it's a bad handling car. In fact it handles better than most other cars you can name but it just can't cut it against the finest cornering machines ever made. The STI/Evo wins hands down in this area. One point to note, the GTT will not move at all in snow. Not even from ditch to ditch.

Acceleration wise the GTT is slower than the STI/EVO from 0-60. It's 0-60 time is only around 6 seconds because the rear wheels are just not capable of putting that much power to the road and end up spinning. But 60-120mph is very very quick. It'll top out somewhere after 160mph. I drove an Evo 6 there a few days ago and it reminded me again just how quick these cars can get to 60. There is no spinning, no tail waggin', just shotgun acceleration all the way from standstill in wet or dry. The GTT on the other hand has to be fettled and coaxed to 45/50mph or else it'll spin the rears and send the arse out. At any speed over 50mph thought there is no difference.

Looks wise...well that's really an individual thing. Some love them, some hate them. Personally I've wanted an R34 since I first seen one in the original Gran Turismo on the PlayStation. Never really had any heed on the R33 models. I think they look a bit "fat". Was never really too gone on the subarus although the older ones look better than the newer ones but are as common as muck these days. I love the Evo 5 and Evo 6. I think they look so evil in black. I actually went up to Dublin to buy a black evo 5 but seen the R34 and knew instantly I had to have it. The R33 model is relatively common on the roads now but the R34 is still rare. I've only ever met one other one the road. So it still gets the "what the **** was that?!?" stares from people. I have to admit though that it does look a bit "awkward" from some angles...

Comfort wise the GTT would be way ahead of the STI/EVO. As I said, it's a grand tourer.

Fuel economy...as they say, if you have to ask the mpg then you can't afford to run either one. It is possible to get over 20mpg...with the engine turned off.. Tax is 821 euros on the skyline...a good bit more than the 544 on the 2 litre subaru.

Maintenace wise... i don't really know yet. Tyres are in the region of 200 euro for both cars but the subaru will be changing the four tires for every change of the rears on the skyline.

Some people are throwing around the phrase "just buy the GTR" as if it was a 2 grand upgrade from the GTT....a '99 R34 GTR would be about the same price to import here as a nearly new Subaru. The R33 GTRs are still making around 25 grand....The Skyline GTR is one of the reasons why there is an STI or a Lancer Evo. Being better than the GTR was one of the main aims of both these cars....and it took the guts of 10 revisons of each of these to better what the Skyline GTR did in 3 revisions. Basically the R34 GTR is their daddy.
    Another thing, although getting 400bhp out of a skyline might be relatively "easy" it is not relatively cheap. 1000 euro might get you up to 320 but you'll easily spend another 7 or 8 grand before you'll see shades of a reliable 400bhp.

So to sum up, if you want to drive every journey like it's a rally stage then get the subaru. If you want to compromise a small bit of performance for some comfort, and a be a bit more original, then get the skyline. You won't be disappointed either way. If you have a spare 50 grand or so then buy a used R34 GTR and be content in the fact that you are driving one of the finest cars ever made... By the way, 21 grand is way too much money for that skyline you're looking at in Limerick. Mine is the exact same year, colour and spec,and has less mileage than that one except for the bling bling alloys and I bought it for a little over 18 grand all in. Shop around and you'll get a better deal.

Thanks man

appreciate your input. i only recently changed my mind regarding car i would like.
    i am a big fan of the STI wanted this for a long time just as usual never had the money.
    i only really last few months i have taken a big shine to the Skyline. didnt realise they where so many different models.
    really cause of the looks and the fact that i see impreza'a nearly every cornor you turn just doesnt have same affect. i like to be a bit different. and what a way to be different. Would love to get the GTR
    been looking at this one looks great

http://www.northdublincars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=334877
    still just bit of a dream right now as i said only bought house few months ago so will need to save a bit of seriuos money.
    even if i got loan over 5 years i be looking at around €500+ a month

unless someone out there knows a magically place where i could be paying less than 300 a month from a loan of over €20000

Have to of least ask

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think Cerberus summed it up quite well, the Subaru STI is a rallying car designed for road handling and quick acceleration, the Skyline is a touring car.

I actually think I have a good compromise in my Legacy 2.5 RX AWD, it has a exceptional handling with the AWD system and enough power to keep most people happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement