Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do I feed a St. Bernard

Options
  • 22-03-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've just bought a 12 week old St. Bernard pup to add to our 12 month old siberian huskie and 5 month old son, so busy times (These are not listed in any preference:) ).

I'm just wondering how much I should be feeding him, as I get the feeling if I was to tip the whole bag of food on to the floor, he'd eat the lot. I know it is recommended to feed them about three times a day, rather than one big feed, but I'd be worried about feeding him to much or too little.

Also, I'm wondering whats the best way in letting the dogs get use to each other. The huskie is a neutored male, but is still very excitable and mad for sport. The St. Bernard is afraid of him, and seems to be adopting "attack is the best form of defence". I know he won't hurt the huskie, but I'd be afraind of the huskie getting too aggressive. Should I introduce them gradually or just let them find their own feet.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you bought the dog then why didn't the breeder give you a feeding plan and information? It baffles me in general how many people buy dogs but the basic care of them isn't handed out with them.

St Bernards and other big breeds need more than one feed a day since he's young my guess is 3 smaller feeds a day of high quality food (not ped chum and other supermarket brands) mabey your vet can fill you in or recommend a food, I find Burns great but there may be food more suited to that breed around.
    Here's a list of trainers to give you proffesional advice on how to handle the pooches with large dogs especially it's handy to get someone to give you some top tips.
    http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

Hope that helps, at least you won't need a buggy for the 5 months old you can just sit him on the St Bernards back lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Did your breeder not give you any information on how, when and what to feed your pup?

It is very very important that you get the feeding right, not just quantity but quality as well.
    For large breeds it is considered best to feed them a rather lean diet, still containing all essential nutrients. Food that is too rich could cause rapid growth and weight gain, which isn't good for a dog that is going to be very large and heavy and therefore needs well developed bones and joints.

Please consult your vet on this and also try to find some St. Bernard breeder/expert to give you some recommendations on proper feeding.

As for introducing your dogs to each other, just let them sort it out.
    But keep in mind that the pup is still a baby and needs a lot of sleep and quiet time. Also he shouldn't be made jump too much, once again the bones and joints need time to grow strong before they can be stressed.
    As the Husky is still very young and exuberant you might need to separate them now and then to give the pup a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I must take a lot of the blame for not been better prepared for getting the dog. I'd wanted one for a long time, but had virtually given up on getting one as they never seemed to get advertised, and any breeders I new were looking for money I simply couldn't afford. This pup happened to be advertised yesterday, I visited the house yesterday evening, seen both parents and the sister, seen the papers and veterinay details and by eight o'clock last night he was mine. In all the excitement I forgot to ask about quantities of feed, although various feeds were discussed.

I have to get in touch with the breeder again anyway, so 'll probably ask them, or I may just ring the St. Bernard club. He is also due to go to the vet on Friday. So between those three options and this forum I'm sure I'll get an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

This is a breed that needs very special care in the first year -- not over exercising etc -- and fed the correct amounts. Giant breeds grow very quickly and too much exercise (eg walks) can cause bone damage. You really, really need to get some professional guidance on all these points if you can.

Also (and with all due respect) are you *sure* you are ready for this huge breed when you are saying in another thread that your husky is the dog from hell and you aren't able to control it? Both huskies and St Bernards are relatively difficult breeds -- eg usually are advised for experienced dog owners, though of course people can learn :) -- it's just that having both now seems like it could create a far more stressful and challenging situation than you are already having with one dog alone. It will be hard to focus on getting the proper training for your 1 year old husky when you need to be giving so much focus on the 12 week old puppy -- which in about 8 weeks is going to be the size of an adult collie and still growing to double that size again (I grew up with a giant breed so am well familiar with how challenging they can be!). I understand how appealing these dogs can be but they are not an easy breed to manage and train and (like huskies) can be quite threatening when not trained properly and with confidence.

I'd strongly advise calling the head of the breed club through the IKC and explain your situation and ask for some advice. The couple who are head of the club are very nice people; I've spoken with them before on breed rescue matters. They care deeply about St Bernards and may be able to steer you towards some useful information. Good breeders have much info out on the web as well.

Please be aware too that there are several serious health and behavioural issues occuring in this breed through casual breeding so you'd want to be very, very sure of this breeder you got the pup from (IKC reg alone is NOT a guarantee of quality); this is why there's always a waiting list for pups from good breeders, who take the time to match pedigrees to ensure top health and temperament for their pups. The head of the breed club can probably give you advice in this regard and may know of this breeder. Good luck with these two dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Carb wrote:
    How Much Do I Feed A St.Bernard?

As much as it wants... remember CUJO???;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

karlin wrote:
    This is a breed that needs very special care in the first year -- not over exercising etc -- and fed the correct amounts. Giant breeds grow very quickly and too much exercise (eg walks) can cause bone damage. You really, really need to get some professional guidance on all these points if you can.

Also (and with all due respect) are you *sure* you are ready for this huge breed when you are saying in another thread that your husky is the dog from hell and you aren't able to control it? Both huskies and St Bernards are relatively difficult breeds -- eg usually are advised for experienced dog owners, though of course people can learn :) -- it's just that having both now seems like it could create a far more stressful and challenging situation than you are already having with one dog alone. It will be hard to focus on getting the proper training for your 1 year old husky when you need to be giving so much focus on the 12 week old puppy -- which in about 8 weeks is going to be the size of an adult collie and still growing to double that size again (I grew up with a giant breed so am well familiar with how challenging they can be!). I understand how appealing these dogs can be but they are not an easy breed to manage and train and (like huskies) can be quite threatening when not trained properly and with confidence.

I'd strongly advise calling the head of the breed club through the IKC and explain your situation and ask for some advice. The couple who are head of the club are very nice people; I've spoken with them before on breed rescue matters. They care deeply about St Bernards and may be able to steer you towards some useful information. Good breeders have much info out on the web as well.

Please be aware too that there are several serious health and behavioural issues occuring in this breed through casual breeding so you'd want to be very, very sure of this breeder you got the pup from (IKC reg alone is NOT a guarantee of quality); this is why there's always a waiting list for pups from good breeders, who take the time to match pedigrees to ensure top health and temperament for their pups. The head of the breed club can probably give you advice in this regard and may know of this breeder. Good luck with these two dogs.

What exactly makes an experienced dog owner? Does 25 years been brought up with dogs not count for something. I would also add that 12 months with the huskie has bee a great learning experience, and I'll admit that there were mistakes that we won't be repeating.

As I've hinted on the other thread, I feel the biggest problem with the huskie was boredom and a lack of sport. We've had the St. Bernard for two days, and there is already an improvement in the huskie's behaviour. I'll be updating the thread in a couple of days when I see how the weekend goes. In terms of training, the St. Bernard is already showing signs that he mightn't be that difficult to train.

On the breed itself, the pups father has a great pedgree with a number of champions before him. I don't know as much about the mother, but at €1300 euro, and from the look of her, there is good breeding in her also. The St. Bernard club were also out to inspect the pups and said that they were of great quality. Both dogs have been brought up in a family with two small children.

I don't know what other precautions I could have took. I'm not the sort of person who thinks pups stay the same size and then want rid of them at 12 months old when I realise that they do grow. Afterall, if I didn't get a St. Bernard, I was looking at rehoming a fully grown Great Dane. It's unbelieveable the amount of these that are been advertised at 1 or 2years old.

Advertisement