Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bulbs blowing frequently

Options
  • 22-03-2006 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi there. I have a 03 Toledo, that we bought second hand a couple of years ago. Since we've had it, I've had to replace at least 5 bulbs in the thing, from indicator to parking to dipped headlight. I only just replaced a driver side dipped and now the passenger side one has gone. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As long as it's not one bulb that continually blows then I wouldn't be too worried about it. Always use good quality bulbs rather than cheap ones that tend to blow a little more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

When you replace the bulbs avoid el cheapo generic ones like crosstownk said. They don't last and the connections aren't always the best. Remember also not to touch the bulb glass with your fingers when you replace them. Use a clean piece of kitchen roll to hold them, especially when you handle halogen bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I was having the same problems with the parking light for the Alfa...kept blowing until I realised it was a halogen one and I was using bare hands.
    Latest one has lasted a lot longer after using gloves to install it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Check the voltage regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have seen the same thing on the VW MkIV Golf, Bora, Passat B5 (to a lesser extent) and Skoda Octavia MkI, especialy rear bulbs. Since the Toledo shares most of it's components with the Golf/Bora it might be safe to assume that the wirings and fittings are also basically the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote:
    I have seen the same thing on the VW MkIV Golf, Bora, Passat B5 (to a lesser extent) and Skoda Octavia MkI, especialy rear bulbs. Since the Toledo shares most of it's components with the Golf/Bora it might be safe to assume that the wirings and fittings are also basically the same.

I had the same problem with my Mark IV Golf, and it was the rear ones as you mentioned. I seem to remember having to change one every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mk IV golfs have a well known 'feature' that causes rear bulbs to blow repeatedly. Something to do with poor water seals. I've seen posts about it on this board a few times. Given the parts commonality between VW and Seat/Skoda, its possibly the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Cliff77

Thanks guys. All the lights I'm having a problem with are in the front of the car.

I'll have to look at the voltage regulator as Henry Ford suggested, but I find it strange that a problem there would only be causing the front bulbs to blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 garygmk2

Had this same problem with a mondeo, quality bulbs didn't seem to make a difference. I eventually left the cover at the back of the lights off as I was changing the bulbs so much. This seemed to cure the problem.

Advertisement