Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Credit card

Options
  • 22-03-2006 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

applied for visa with NIB, refused :mad: despite having a healthy balance and 3 yr account with them. have a part-time job.

Bank of Ireland best option for a student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bank of Ireland are desperate to flog their student credit cards, I got offered one when I had no income and a loan over my head a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Bank of Ireland are desperate to flog their student credit cards, I got offered one when I had no income and a loan over my head a few years back.

yeah, thought they were the most student-friendly. but do you not have to have an account with them for 6months or something before you can apply for a card?

rippin with nib, im the perfect customer. and have the account with them to back it up. apparently deutschbank will be more easy going come april so if i can't get a BOI one, i might just sit tight until april.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

The AIB one is easy to get as well, the only thing is that it is the colour of urine. Other than that it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

AIB ones have a nice shape though, which is extremely important.

Advice from a broke student with almost €900 sitting on his credit card: don't get one

yeah colour and shape aren't really high on my list of priorities. (when we're talking about credit cards) ;)

will look into AIB too, i know it's a temptation to go mad with it, but im fairly responsible and can't see myself spending what i dont have, i hate owing money and usually pay for things up front.

• Advertisement

When you see it you'll understand why we mentioned the colour/shape. It's missing a corner, and as I said before it's urine yellow. Not a nice card in any way. That said, I think the conditions are good and you can set it up so it will automatically take funds from your other account to clear the credit card account entirely every month. Helps you avoid running up debt

yeah, that automatic transfer of funds thingy would be handy. im still onto NIB, trying to twist their arm, but looks like they've left me in the gutter

pic3.jpg[IMG][/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

gilroyb wrote:
    When you see it you'll understand why we mentioned the colour/shape. It's missing a corner, and as I said before it's urine yellow. Not a nice card in any way.

Plus the fact that it's missing a corner means that some ATMs in continental Europe & North America have been known to swallow your card, something to do with not recognising it as a "proper" ATM card due to its unusual shape. It could be a bit disastrous if you're relying on it for cash when abroad.

good news people, ive got one from nib :D after a bit of haggling.

so i'll not need the aib one that they have pissed on and decapitated :p happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

AIB has €600 limit, BOI has €400 limit on their student credit cards.

• Advertisement

Skyuser wrote:

dunno if it's a good or a bad thing but ive got a limit of a grand on mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I'm really tempted to get one but think I would REALLY regret it.

I'm with Ulster Bank and haven't really looked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Skyuser wrote:

As far as I can tell AIB just had 600 onto your limit no questions asked instantly when you request it via their online banking. Within limits I'm sure, but mine is up to 1800 no problem. Didn't have to speak to anyone or wait for anything, just clicked a button and it was done. I needed the increased limit for some one off car expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Simple, move your bank account to BOI or someone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

steviec wrote:
    AIB... mine is up to 1800 no problem... just clicked a button and it was done...

mine is up to about 2100, but you can only get a limit increase every 6 months, indeed the it says you can only "request" an increase every 6 months, so every time you ask, and are refused it sounds like the clock starts again.

besty wrote:
    I'm really tempted to get one but think I would REALLY regret it.

ah go on, you know you want to :) what harm can a square piece of plastic do to you? ;)

imo, for us internet people, we NEED one. i was finding very frustrating having to leech of other people's. i almost felt guilty doing it and as a result, only bought what i needed.

now im gonna buy the stuff i dont need :D now where was that usb powered vacuum cleaner i need for the laptop.... (not joking by the way, im getting one :p )

smemon wrote:
    ah go on, you know you want to :) what harm can a square piece of plastic do to you? ;)

But remember, if it's AIB it's not square, its got it's corner sanded off. Can do a lot more harm, you could probably cause a savage graze.

Advertisement