Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Mapping Issue

• 22-03-2006 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

The hard drive failed on one of the PC's here in the office. I managed to get it back up and running, bad sectors repaired etc. and had to reinstall XP. This all went fine and no data was lost, XP seemed to install perfectly. It logs onto the network no problem, but for the life of it, it won't map any of our shared network drives! I have reinstalled the netwok several times, taken the computer off the network and back on, but it just won't map any of my shares. Any ideas?

It is only showing Microsoft Terminal Services and Web Client Network within my Entire network, no sign of Microsfot Windows Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is microsoft windows network actually installed in the network list? You would think it is.. how about of you just pick a computer name then go start-run type \\computername press ok.. if it logs on it will be very strange indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kasparov

Yeah, it's well strange. Microsoft Windows network is installed, and I can map to one of our servers, yet nothing is showing up in the shares when I map.

I can map the shared folders, yet nothing is is showing up in Explorer, i.e. lock like blank folders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

step through
    start
    run
    cmd

start
    run
    %LOGONSERVER%
    open Netlogon
    drag/drop logon script on to command prompt and click on it and press enter

just might see any error messages

TBH I've had more problems with XP PRO not running logon scripts than other versions of windows and that is REALLY annoying since the only version of windows that isn't supposed to run logon scripts is XP HOME.

To force a logon script to run.
    This works on XP HOME too, so it seems to me that microsoft have deliberatly broken XP's ability to run logon scripts ! (Ok maybe it's a network setting or something else but the fix has been the same as the hack to map drives on XP HOME, sometimes I feel that we could have saved a lot on licenses and time wasted getting XP to map drives /RANT)

Startup.bat - put in the startup folder
    If exist \\servername\netlogon\script.bat  \\servername\netlogon\script.bat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

odd one on the off chance , in windows 2003 service pack 1 there is an option to hide folders you don't have rights too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A couple of potentiall basic questions so apologies if they are that to you.
    Is your environment an Active directory one? (Had you joined the PC to the domain)
    Can you ping the server you are trying to map to? EDIT-I believe you can.
    Have you tried manually mapping a drive to the share (without using the log on scripts) EDIT- I see that you can
    Does the user you are logging on with have the correct script associated with it to map the drives?
    What service pack level have you on the machine and is is the same level as the machine was before the rebuild?
    Have you tried remapping the drive manually again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kasparov

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check it out now. thks.

Advertisement