Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eta 'announce permanent cease-fire' - report

Options
  • 22-03-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Eta 'announce permanent cease-fire' - report
    22/03/2006 - 11:28:55

Armed Basque group Eta has announced a permanent cease-fire, say Spanish TV reports.

More to follow.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/03/22/story250456.html
    Great news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

its been coming for a long time now. their organisation was crushed last year when the police said they captured most of their weapons and 20 volunteers. it has always seemed to be 10 years behind the IRA/SF. local basques have become increasingly critical of eta and they have not been strong since the late 80s. the writing has been on the cards for a while now. pity these type of people keep on killing even when they know the game is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

any ideas what the future of spain will be like ? Will nation hood be given to Basque country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

Maskhadov wrote:
    any ideas what the future of spain will be like ? Will nation hood be given to Basque country ?

i dont think so. only about 30%, from what ive read, want an independent nation. many just want greater autonomy. they want greater control of their own culture, language etc. i suppose its something similar to scotland. i dont think spain will ever break up as much as the UK will never break up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 blackbuster

hopefully it will bring some peace to spain and a basque recognition like wales and scotland in the UK.:)

Advertisement