Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Ads

Options
  • 22-03-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭

I've just recently added google ads and a google search bar to my site. The search is only on the main page at the minute as I just added it quickly to test out, will edit the rest of the site later. Anyways just wondering if the positioning looks right to you guys or do you sugest changes I could make in the placing of both the ads and the search?

*edit*

Might help if I actually include the URL, heh.

http://www.stevetrek.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I haven't got a comment on the positioning of the Google bits (sorry!), but can I just suggest you change the blue-on-black colour scheme.

It's really sore on the eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It's fine for me any anyone else who's looked at the site... sometimes the fault is the user's if the screen's brightness is set too low.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You should have a big pop up window telling users to adjust their system properly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Better off with a 1600x1200 interstitial, with the relevant information in the bottom-right corner.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Better off with a 1600x1200 interstitial, with the relevant information in the bottom-right corner.
    Come again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ken Shabby wrote:
    That would be the Romulan technique? ;)

Regards...jmcc

I wasn't asking about the design of my site's colours... simply if the positioning of the search bar and ads were ok...

Apparently nobody can answer such a simple question.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The adverts look IMO odd as they are all different sizes.
    I guess the searchbar would be better off elsewhere as it is one of the first things you see on the site, whereas I presume some content woul be better off there. Maybe move it to the left between the menu & adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Hi,
    The ads are of diffferent sizes as previously mentioned & this looks a little untidy. I think these would look better centered in the table rather than left-aligned

I'd maybe put the Google Search between the nav & ads on the left.

Hope this helps.

The ads are all different sizes? They should be, the ads are all the same size on all of the pages, the only place they're a different size is on the blog, that's all. Can you give me an example of different sized ads?

(The layout of the site isn't very uniform anymore as I've been messing about with different ad/google search layouts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

On this 800x600 monitor (with badly set brightness) you don't see any of the welcome blurb unless you scroll down. What's with the 3 empty form input areas on the top left? I would attach a screenshot but I don't think attachments are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Gordon wrote:
    On this 800x600 monitor (with badly set brightness) you don't see any of the welcome blurb unless you scroll down. What's with the 3 empty form input areas on the top left? I would attach a screenshot but I don't think attachments are working.

That is really odd alright. You need to remove the <input> code at the top of the html:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
      [b]<input>
      <input><input>[/b]

Wow that is quite odd... no idea why they're there. Probably something I forgot to remove when shifting the ads about in the code or on a form or something...

Will tidy up everthing during the week, cheers lads.

Advertisement