Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB speed increases?

• 22-03-2006 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

anyone know whats going on with this?
    ive been getting burst of up to 4mbps on and off for the past few days,
    im only signed up for 2mbps

its currently running at 2.8mbps [360kbps] for the past hour or so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

where you based i.e. what mast you on?

I'll check when i get home last night was 220K on 2Mb connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

baldoyle mast,
    speeds have gone back down again,
    seems to increase for an hour or two every couple of days.

i was thinking it may be some sort of stress testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I heard off a reliable source that IBB were supposed to increse speeds of 2mb lines to 4mb in febuary so i think they must have it planned to do it :)

oh god no not again :( I hope they leave it alone cos it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Ah no tbh paying this much for a 2mb line is not fair... and if they upgrade im sure they wont make the same mistakes... (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well Im paying 48 for my 2 meg and id happilly pay 60 for a 1 meg connection that worked at this stage. These increses in speed really worry me, as bad as things are now they can only get worse on IBB. I rember when they went from 1 to 2 meg a year ago, my BB has been in the dog house ( on and off mind yo ) since the last increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Has everyone elses pings gone to pot this evening on IBB?

138 ms between ibis-access to ibis-gw this is a bloody joke.

so they are cant say i noticed but im not playing games tonight web / P2P @220Kbs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

trying to play bf2 and the lowest ping I was getting befor I picked a bloody server was 156. Head wrecking and typical that my new monitor arrived today and I can;t play bf2 on it PAH!!!!!

Oh and now I'm getting 50% packet loss wonderful

similar here now,
    ridiculous pings of between 817 and 1279 ms to google.com and bbc.co.uk

speeds are ok tho,
    hovering around 250-260k

• Advertisement

heheh,
    and when i drop download speed to 0,
    pings return dropm to about 120 - 160 .

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Sh!te ping... Sh!te speeds... IBB doing nothing about it. Showers of c*nts...
    Wish SMART would hurry up upgrading my exchange! I FUC*ING HATE IBB! :mad:

Sh!te ping... Sh!te speeds... IBB doing nothing about it. Showers of c*nts...
    Wish SMART would hurry up upgrading my exchange! I FUC*ING HATE IBB! :mad:
    Thats nice,

After a long drawn out affair I told them give me WiMax and they were ready too and all as mine went to **** once they started the WiMax testing in my area low and behold all was well and has been since for last ~4-5months. Dont play games a huge amount but if i did i wouldnt have wireless of any form, mainly torrents :D just checked 850Gb down in the last year to be exact :D:D.

Edit: All redhat/linux iso's etc... of course :p

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Don't much care for pings myself, don't play computer games, but I went with IBB for the 1MB asynchornous package.

Speeds are mostly dandy, connection almost never drops... Can't really complain tbh. I'd like it to be a bit faster though; NTL 6MB is starting to look very tempting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I heard off a reliable source that IBB were supposed to increse speeds of 2mb lines to 4mb in febuary so i think they must have it planned to do it :)

What lines? its Wireless :D

CuLT wrote:
    Don't much care for pings myself, don't play computer games, but I went with IBB for the 1MB asynchornous package.

Speeds are mostly dandy, connection almost never drops... Can't really complain tbh. I'd like it to be a bit faster though; NTL 6MB is starting to look very tempting.
    OMG! How can you have an IBB connection in an NTL-enabled area? :eek:
    I'd swap in a heartbeat!

Thats nice,

After a long drawn out affair I told them give me WiMax and they were ready too and all as mine went to **** once they started the WiMax testing in my area low and behold all was well and has been since for last ~4-5months. Dont play games a huge amount but if i did i wouldnt have wireless of any form, mainly torrents :D just checked 850Gb down in the last year to be exact :D:D.
    Believe it or not, pings with wifi broadband connections are better than the traditional copper-wire broadband connections (something to do with not wasting 40ms hitting the exchange... or something like that). The problem is not wifi... It's better on paper. The problem is IBB...

well pings to boards.ie are back to 5/6ms today and pings between access and gw are just 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Are ye all downloading files while doing these pings???

Someone up above mentioned that when they stopped the download the pings returned to normal (this would make sense)

Also, I think perhaps you can attribute the slow speeds in some areas with the CONSTANT download habits of a majority of users in the same subnet as you-which in my opinion would mean that it is these users who are causing the problem, in turn however IBB should ensure fair bandwitch for all-if this mean strictly enforcing download caps or packet shaping then it should be implemented more strictly.

Anyway-there's my two cents on the whole affair......
    Kippy

kippy wrote:
    Are ye all downloading files while doing these pings???
    Of course not
    kippy wrote:
    Also, I think perhaps you can attribute the slow speeds in some areas with the CONSTANT download habits of a majority of users in the same subnet as you-which in my opinion would mean that it is these users who are causing the problem, in turn however IBB should ensure fair bandwitch for all-if this mean strictly enforcing download caps or packet shaping then it should be implemented more strictly.

Anyway-there's my two cents on the whole affair......
    Kippy
    But do they actually give a cr@p about quality of service?

• Advertisement

Of course not
    Good, I just wanted to make sure that this was the case for everyone, as someone above mentioned that they were downloading while doing the pings and by some miracle when the suspended the download the ping times got better......
    But do they actually give a cr@p about quality of service?

Well from the many many posts in here I would say that is a no.
    I use them myself in Galway and I have used them before in Dublin-without any problems at all-that said I do realise that many many people here have problems with them - would it be fair to say that most of these people are gamers who need fast ping times?
    The fact that they keep expanding their network when there are so many problems with it is crazy but unless EVERYONE who has problems with the service quits the service in disgust I doubt IBB will every do anything about it.
    And I know that not EVERYONE has another option for broadband.
    Kippy

Well I'm swtching to SMART the second they become available! A year and a half with IBB it's been... Worked properly for about 1/3 of that at the most... Useless...

ffs,
    i posted up so that people could see my mistake,
    not so someone could come across all high and mighty.

another pc on my network happenened to be steaming away onnthe downloads while i did some ping tests.
    as you can see above that gave the slightly shocking 1000ms+ results
    i posted this up as soon as i saw them,
    a bout a second later i relasied that nother pc may be using b/w so i checked each machine and found one, stopped it and pinged again.

the results were not "normal" but still around 150ms.

i could easily have edited my post so this never happened but thought i would'nt bother.
    now i have to type a full explanation to stop someone i dont even know accusing me of not having a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I have NTL in my area. I have SMART in my area, and I'm happy to stick with IBB. Ping times are teriffic, download speeds too, and the upload speed is a great benefit to me also. I'm happy.

Why do people think I should transfer to NTL or SMART?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Because they're both cheaper and more reliable. Your happy IBB days can grind to a halt at any time.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Because they're both cheaper and more reliable. Your happy IBB days can grind to a halt at any time.
    +1

AND, you get a land line with them too!

subway wrote:
    ffs,
    i posted up so that people could see my mistake,
    not so someone could come across all high and mighty.

another pc on my network happenened to be steaming away onnthe downloads while i did some ping tests.
    as you can see above that gave the slightly shocking 1000ms+ results
    i posted this up as soon as i saw them,
    a bout a second later i relasied that nother pc may be using b/w so i checked each machine and found one, stopped it and pinged again.

the results were not "normal" but still around 150ms.

i could easily have edited my post so this never happened but thought i would'nt bother.
    now i have to type a full explanation to stop someone i dont even know accusing me of not having a clue.

Hold your horses subway! I don't think kippy meant anything nasty by asking if we were downloading files whilst checking our ping! A bit OTT IMO... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've had IBB ripwave since August 05. The service was an absolute joke so I gave my notice in Feburary.
    They said a courier would pick up the ripwave box. When they didn't I phoned twice and they promised they'd take it away.

I've been using it for March now and haven't been charged. Speeds have pretty good for the last two weeks(as in it actually works). Maybe they've forgotten about me and I get free broadband for the future.

Sorry Subway, Didnt mean to come across high and mighty.......

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote:
    I've had IBB ripwave since August 05. The service was an absolute joke so I gave my notice in Feburary.
    They said a courier would pick up the ripwave box. When they didn't I phoned twice and they promised they'd take it away.

I've been using it for March now and haven't been charged. Speeds have pretty good for the last two weeks(as in it actually works). Maybe they've forgotten about me and I get free broadband for the future.
    Get as much as you can for free from them! :p

Advertisement