Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB speed increases?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Blaster99 wrote:
    Because they're both cheaper and more reliable. Your happy IBB days can grind to a halt at any time.
    I have yet to have a reliability issue with IBB, I've had many with NTL (NTL Digital TV). Neither NTL nor SMART have the upload speed. NTL also have bandwidth caps.

So I'm happy to pay the price considering it is reliable, has the upload I need, and has no caps.

Show me a cheaper product with these three areas equalled, for a lower price, and I will switch with pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sorry,
    bit too many painkillers in my system.

didnt mean to jump down anyones throat.
    just thought you hadnt read the whole thread and were taking the wrong idea fro my post earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Back to Increasing speeds...
    Has anyone of you got an email a few weeks back about upgrade work?,

I'm hoping this has something to do with the Increases in bandwidth if they are planned.

Copy of email below..
    *** Important Notice - Planned upgrade outage will take place on Thursday 23rd March between 12:01am and 5am ***

Dear Customer,

Due to upgrade work on a core element of our network it is likely that you will either experience an intermittent or a full loss of service on Thursday 23rd March between 12:01am and 5am, please rest assured that every effort will be made to keep downtime to a minimum.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause but assure you that the work being performed is necessary.

Thank you for your time.
    Irish Broadband Customer Services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

snappieT wrote:
    I have NTL in my area. I have SMART in my area, and I'm happy to stick with IBB. Ping times are teriffic, download speeds too, and the upload speed is a great benefit to me also. I'm happy.

Agreed..

Also, the large upload speed if a massive deal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If IBB's service worked, I would be all for it. But I've tried it in two locations and it didn't work in either. I think that's me done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Didn't work for me on 2 differents masts... :mad: Roll on SMART I say! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

snappieT wrote:
    I have yet to have a reliability issue with IBB, I've had many with NTL (NTL Digital TV). Neither NTL nor SMART have the upload speed. NTL also have bandwidth caps.

So I'm happy to pay the price considering it is reliable, has the upload I need, and has no caps.

Show me a cheaper product with these three areas equalled, for a lower price, and I will switch with pleasure.

THats great for you, where do you live? Can I move into youre area as these problems are area sepcofic. You may be on the same mast as the IBB CEO or somthing.

One thing i notice every time I ring Tech support i always get a recording saying they are aware of problems in the following areas X and Y. Always like there is always one part of their network down, one part with bad speeds and one part working fine. They cant cope with theie current user base and now they want to increase speeds.

BTW it seems to be a general theme with broadband in ireland every ISP seems to have had problems at one time or another like the infacturcture is not there. Its just worse for the majority of IBB users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm on Killester I think. Here are my first couple of hops:
    traceroute to boards.ie (82.195.136.250), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
     1  (none) (192.168.11.1)  53.015 ms  1.147 ms  1.102 ms
     2  dn44-fe-0-0-1-160-killester.irishbroadband.ie (62.231.46.241)  188.449 ms  300.458 ms  393.030 ms
     3  dn19-fe-0-0-0-13-odlums.irishbroadband.ie (87.192.233.110)  383.244 ms  159.175 ms  169.907 ms
     4  87.192.233.21 (87.192.233.21)  102.571 ms  375.286 ms  247.743 ms
     5  dn01-as1-0-rte.irishbroadband.ie (83.141.117.22)  312.073 ms  18.672 ms  8.171 ms
     6  dn42-ge-0-1-0-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie (87.192.233.165)  14.872 ms  15.359 ms

Ignore the ping speeds, the connection is maxing out at the moment on downloads & uploads. I've had to ring up 3 times, and only once were there reports of areas down.

I had an two engineers call out to the house today (see my blog for details why), and I casually asked about the upgrade. One seemed not to know anything, the other seem to know what I was talking about, but wasn't admitting anything.

Well the reports of areas going down have only been happening the last 2 months or so, about as long as ive had my current problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

THats great for you, where do you live? Can I move into youre area as these problems are area sepcofic. You may be on the same mast as the IBB CEO or somthing.

No he lives in Ranelagh, most of the IBB execs live on the Southside, though there is one on Malahide and one in Clontarf.

I doubt any of them rely on IBB for their internet.

Here's an interesting game...

Can anyone confirm the existance or not of IBB Antennae at the following addresses

edit: NO PRIVATE ADDRESSES PLEASE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cormac_byrne, no need to post private addresses here

Cabaal wrote:
    cormac_byrne, no need to post private addresses here

I didn't post private addresses I posted Company Director's addresses.

That is publicly available information (a condition of registering a Limited Company is that you have to make public the addresses of the company directors) The addresses of any company directors can be obtained from the companies office. http://www.cro.ie

That is exactly what I did all they addresses are from CRO documnts so they are not 'private' I also have phone numbers for some of them. These were obtained from the phone book, so they too are public.

Moderators, Please confirm that is permissable to post information that is (and can be proven to be) in the public domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I didn't post private addresses I posted Company Director's addresses.

That is publicly available information (a condition of registering a Limited Company is that you have to make public the addresses of the company directors) The addresses of any company directors can be obtained from the companies office. http://www.cro.ie

That is exactly what I did all they addresses are from CRO documnts so they are not 'private' I also have phone numbers for some of them. These were obtained from the phone book, so they too are public.

Moderators, Please confirm that is permissable to post information that is (and can be proven to be) in the public domain.

why post thier names? what are you trying to achieve? use IBB or not I dont think people here really care, they just wanyt an acceptable quality of service for themselves, also I would not like to see my address posted all over the net! not all the directors work in networks and probably have no idea how poor the network is! sure I believe reading Boards.ie is banned in IBB.

not looking for a row, just curious to see why you posted the addresses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Drapper wrote:
    why post thier names? what are you trying to achieve? use IBB or not I dont think people here really care, they just wanyt an acceptable quality of service for themselves, also I would not like to see my address posted all over the net! not all the directors work in networks and probably have no idea how poor the network is! sure I believe reading Boards.ie is banned in IBB.

not looking for a row, just curious to see why you posted the addresses?

For a start, the directors are perfectly aware of how many people have problems with their network. Why? because they oversell the bandwidth in each sector. This is the single cause of rubbished speeds, overloading of sectors. IBB only count a sector as full when there are an extra third of customers on top of what there should be.

Also, in fairness, this guy has said that the information is publicly available, and is therefore posted "all over the net". I don't think theres anything to gain by posting it here though, nor do I expect that boards users are going to call to the guy's house and bitch at him; not only would it achieve nothing, it would be highly immature.

marclar wrote:
    For a start, the directors are perfectly aware of how many people have problems with their network. Why? because they oversell the bandwidth in each sector. This is the single cause of rubbished speeds, overloading of sectors. IBB only count a sector as full when there are an extra third of customers on top of what there should be.

Also, in fairness, this guy has said that the information is publicly available, and is therefore posted "all over the net". I don't think theres anything to gain by posting it here though, nor do I expect that boards users are going to call to the guy's house and bitch at him; not only would it achieve nothing, it would be highly immature.

I agree with you 100%.

marclar wrote:

Highly immature? Fine, won't be talking to them then! I'll just poo in a bag, set fire to it, ring the bell and run! You'll see!

Highly immature? Fine, won't be talking to them then! I'll just poo in a bag, set fire to it, ring the bell and run! You'll see!

please don't lol

Drapper wrote:
    please don't lol
    Why not? Should be fun! LOL :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

marclar wrote:

It sounded like his intention was to see if the directors of IBB use IBB's service.

Speed upgrades confirmed to be happening within the next two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

God help the rest of ye then! Glad I jumped ship.

marclar wrote:
    Speed upgrades confirmed to be happening within the next two months.
    See you in 3 months lads! :o

Blaster99 wrote:
    It sounded like his intention was to see if the directors of IBB use IBB's service.

Yes exactly, so far I've learned that the CEO doesn't use it (or at least there's no mast visable according to another boards user)

If I wanted people to hassle the IBB directors then I would have published the corresponding names & phone numbers that match the addresses.

Actally I feel it would be reasonable to post such info (as it's public domain) and many people on here have legitimate reason to want to contact them.
    Phoning them at the office just doesn't work ... I tried that.

I've asked the Mods for clarification on publishing information which is (and can be proven to be) in the public domain.

I'm not encouraging people to do the 'dog **** in burning paper bag trick' but if you are a customer of a company and are not receiving the service that you should be then should be able to escalate the matter. If you're dealing with customer support and they won't escalate an issue, it's perfectly reasonable to write a letter to a company director. Maybe even call them at home if they've put their number in the phone book. i.e. they have publicly published it.

I was fed up with the support I was receiving from IBB, I asked the support guy if I could speak to Neil Parkinson. He didn't know who I was talking about.
    He's your new CEO 'I said', 'It says so on your website', 'maybe you're having network probs and can't see that site!' (ok that was a bit sarcastic)

He wouldn't put me on to Neil so I asked him to arrange a callback for me, if he was too busy to call me today I would call him at home later. (fair warning)

Of course I got no call, unfortunately when I called him at home later his wife Una said he was in a meeting. I left my name and number with her just in case the IBB staff had 'accidentally' forgotten to pass them on earlier.

It must have been a long meeting as Neil didn't manage to call me back that evening.

So I tried to phone him at the office the next day, I got fed up holding on the line listening to the VRU telling me how 'IBB works without wires' etc...,

So I called the number the installers use when out on calls, but nobody answered.

Then I tried another number to get directly to a receptionist and it worked.
    I asked to speak to Neil Parkinson, I was put through to his office.

Unfortunately at that moment he was in a meeting, so I gave my name and number to his PA Angela (just in case he didn't already have my details)

Neil didn't call me, but I did get a message on my phone from accounts (couldn't answer as was driving at the time)

When I called back their accounts dept the woman there said she was too busy to deal with me and would call me back in an hour.

Amazingly she didn't call back, so I had to move to stage 2 of my plan.
    Texting people at their PR firm and emails to IBB Marketing...

Your technique is very time consuming though... I'll stick with my 'dog sh!t in burning paper bag trick' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

He might be using ripwave ever think of that?

Anyways your posts are not on topic at all btw and you seem to have hijacked the thread. :mad: Regarding the IBB speed increases bring em on i look forward to seeing my 230K jump to ~400K :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Yeah, I ditched them, waiting now for my smart connection. But I think IBB are total cowboys, they should have their licence revoked.
    They cap ,limit speeds, dont upgrade their networks to meet the increasing demands, and are just out for the quick buck.
    Avoid at all costs. Customer service is also basically non existent.

He might be using ripwave ever think of that?

Anyways your posts are not on topic at all btw and you seem to have hijacked the thread. :mad: Regarding the IBB speed increases bring em on i look forward to seeing my 230K jump to ~400K :D

All threads on IBB degenerate into how sh1te IBB are, someone always always their connection is now working or has improved, than several others post that no theirs is still crap.

e.g.

This hijacking always occurs, it's an unwritten rule of boards.ie, you can't blame me for it. This threas was hijacked before I started.

My Initial post was simply an exploration upon the idea that maybe IBB speeds relate to the proximity of IBB directors houses. That's Spooky Donkey's theory not mine. My Theory they don't use use their own product. Ripwave! yeah right :p
    marclar wrote:
    nor do I expect that boards users are going to call to the guy's house and bitch at him; not only would it achieve nothing, it would be highly immature.

If IBB had continued to ignore my requests then I would have not hesitated in visiting company directors to explain my situation, I wouldn't describe that as bitching.
    Drapper wrote:
    why post thier names? what are you trying to achieve? use IBB or not I dont think people here really care, they just wanyt an acceptable quality of service for themselves ... not looking for a row, just curious to see why you posted the addresses?

For those having problems, I don't think there's anything can be done about getting acceptable quality service from IBB. The alternative to that is getting your contract cancelled and a refund paid.

I am letting people know that it is possible to get the Names, Addresses and phone numbers of Company directors and that contacting them can get results. I'm just trying to be helpful :D
    marclar wrote:
    sure I believe reading Boards.ie is banned in IBB.

Gee I hope I didn't get "Orla Duffy" <Orla.Duffy@irishbroadband.ie>
    Head of Marketing at IBB into trouble. Send her a list of 28 Boards threads (all saying how bad IBB is)
    Your technique is very time consuming though... I'll stick with my 'dog sh!t in burning paper bag trick' :D

Nope 2 weeks total,

Week 1:
    Monday - asked for contract to be cancelled and all money refunded,
    spend week researching contact details etc...

Week 2:
    Monday - declared war phone calls, emails & txts
    Wednesday - they've given in.
    Friday - every cent I ever paid IBB now back in my A/C (over €500)

Sorry as I'm definitely hijacking thread now, If I get an answer from the Mods will consider starting a 'How to get your money back from IBB thread'

Nope 2 weeks total,

Week 1:
    Monday - asked for contract to be cancelled and all money refunded,
    spend week researching contact details etc...

Week 2:
    Monday - declared war phone calls, emails & txts
    Wednesday - they've given in.
    Friday - every cent I ever paid IBB now back in my A/C (over €500)

Sorry as I'm definitely hijacking thread now, If I get an answer from the Mods will consider starting a 'How to get your money back from IBB thread'
    Fair play to you mate! ;)

All threads on IBB degenerate into how sh1te IBB are, someone always always their connection is now working or has improved, than several others post that no theirs is still crap.

e.g.

This hijacking always occurs, it's an unwritten rule of boards.ie, you can't blame me for it. This threas was hijacked before I started.

My Initial post was simply an exploration upon the idea that maybe IBB speeds relate to the proximity of IBB directors houses. That's Spooky Donkey's theory not mine. My Theory they don't use use their own product. Ripwave! yeah right :p

Well my comments came from me saying that this speed increase will only make IBB service worse and some guy saying he has never had a problem. I know loads of people on IBB in different parts of Dublin and every one has has a problem at one time or another. That was not to say that perhpas some part of their network was always good and I was wondering where that was. As bad as mine is now I have 2 months to move house or get another BB service ( of witch I have little choice ). My real intention was to find out where that guy was and what high site he was on. As some one said surly the CEO and co would have some other reliable service, but I dont really care what they have, I only care what kinda service all us IBB punters are getting.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marclar
    sure I believe reading Boards.ie is banned in IBB.

^^cormac_byrne, I did not post that, I actually quoted it from Drapper's above post.

For the record, IBB staff do monitor boards threads about them.

Advertisement