Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband and a Wireless router..

• 22-03-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,

My brother recently got broadband installed at home - not sure of the package but:

(1) there is an antenna on the roof so it is the wireless system
    (2) the cable runs from the antenna and plugs into a modem type device. This cable is not a phone cable nor does it have a standard Cat 5 connector
    (3) there is a Cat 5 cable running from the modem type device to the PC

He wants to set up a wireless system in the house so that he can connect the laptop and roam from room to room.

My question is around point 2 above. In any of the wireless routers that I have seen, they only accept a phone cable. With the IBB system, there is no phone cable.

How can he setup the system wirelessly around the house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I have IBB with a linksys WRT54GS i think it is wire from modem into router internet port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Yap.. i had the same setup.. IBB with WRT54G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Mines better i have an S at the end :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

decrrrrrr wrote:
    Hi,

My brother recently got broadband installed at home - not sure of the package but:

(1) there is an antenna on the roof so it is the wireless system
    (2) the cable runs from the antenna and plugs into a modem type device. This cable is not a phone cable nor does it have a standard Cat 5 connector
    (3) there is a Cat 5 cable running from the modem type device to the PC

He wants to set up a wireless system in the house so that he can connect the laptop and roam from room to room.

My question is around point 2 above. In any of the wireless routers that I have seen, they only accept a phone cable. With the IBB system, there is no phone cable.

How can he setup the system wirelessly around the house?
    A friend of mine had IBB with a US Robotics wireless router and it worked fine. You run the Cat 5 cable from the 'modem type device', as you say, into the wireless routers WAN port. I though it should go into one of the LAN ports but that didn't work on his so we tried the WAN port and it did work.

Advertisement