Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does any1 know if you can buy a new number plate with fancy fonts

Options
  • 22-03-2006 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

No need to be personalised (i.e. keepin the original reg!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Of course you CAN but you will be taking a risk if you encounter strict Garda having a bad day.

This is all that's legal.
    http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/carplate.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

jtiernan wrote:
    Most good car acces. shops would do them, but they are illegal and would fail an NCT afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Yeap you can but its illegal but cops dont really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This really pisses me off. The number plate is meant to be readable and in a quick easy fashion not a 'work of art'

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

This thread should read "Does any1 know how I can p!ss off the Gardai and other motorists with by changing my regulated reg plate"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't. It's silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jtiernan wrote:

If you must check these guys out: http://www.fancyplates.com

You might draw unwanted attention from the garda though as anything other than standard plates are illegal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you want to be "different" why not consider wearing a silly hat instead :D

hat_Michael_car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yep it's illegal alright. Go to Waterford, i'm sure the Gardai love boy racers down there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

That fancy plates website is pretty good, I see someone already posted it up. Folks, don't think there was need for all the "they're illegal" comments, I pretty sure the OP wasn't asking for your permission, just your help on where to buy them.

• Advertisement

I reckon the comments were justified.

When you see a guy proposing publicly to openly and deliberately break the law, a negative thought is fully warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Lads, anyone know where I can hire a hitman? Thanks.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys is italics on the number plate illegal, if it is then why do most of des cullen and other dealers car have them on the number plate. why donot they ever get stopped.:D

Its got to look like this unless its a 'classic'

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

mike65 wrote:
    Its got to look like this unless its a 'classic'

Mike.

Do you draw that yourself ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

actually didnt see anything about the actual font in that first link? Just black letters on white background. So you should be able to do italic,bold etc if you want. Id print that off and keep it in the car though!

drdre wrote:
    guys is italics on the number plate illegal, if it is then why do most of des cullen and other dealers car have them on the number plate. why donot they ever get stopped.:D
    Cos when they are on a €150-200k car its the last thing the cops are looking at bar just to get the year off before they drool. :p

phill106 wrote:
    actually didnt see anything about the actual font in that first link? Just black letters on white background. So you should be able to do italic,bold etc if you want. Id print that off and keep it in the car though!
    if you did that and got smart hed do you for something / anything

K-TRIC wrote:
    Do you draw that yourself ??

Naturalment! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It'll be a pain if you go through a checkpoint tbh.. and looks a little chav tbh.

When I bought my car it had competition plates (ie covers up teh number when you take a pic etc... and it worked!) but took them off because I got grief going through a checkpoint before... Just not worth the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I actually like the font used on the german plates and would be tempted to put it on my car (swap back to old plates for the test)
    autogeek_1886_123571524

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

K-TRIC wrote:
    This thread should read "Does any1 know how I can p!ss off the Gardai and other motorists with by changing my regulated reg plate"

Em. Piss the Gardai off. Go ahead and change the reg, ya might get a summons. And make the Garda real happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have always had 'different' plates on every car I've ever owned and the only time I had a problem was when I put one the size of two credit cards on the front of a Prelude - the cop only told me to change it but I never did. Lots of things are illegal, but some are more illegal than others - try parking on a Gardas foot for instance.

'cptr

drdre wrote:

1/. Yes.

2/. I don't know.

phill106 wrote:
    So you should be able to do italic,bold etc if you want.

The law dictates otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

And it depends where you live - (Dublin) 'Oh my gawd Clarissa, have you seen the black and silver plates Nigel has put on his new X5' (Donegal) 'Hiy Kevin ye're scooby looks mung with them there ornery plates - get some small yellow wans like mine...' (Or Galway) 'Begob wouldja look, he have number plates on the front AND on the back - fancy git'

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

I reckon the comments were justified.

When you see a guy proposing publicly to openly and deliberately break the law, a negative thought is fully warranted.
    Well then maybe he should keep it to the Mod Cars forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

And it depends where you live - (Dublin) 'Oh my gawd Clarissa, have you seen the black and silver plates Nigel has put on his new X5' (Donegal) 'Hiy Kevin ye're scooby looks mung with them there ornery plates - get some small yellow wans like mine...' (Or Galway) 'Begob wouldja look, he have number plates on the front AND on the back - fancy git'

'cptr

ROFL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its odd that Donegal plates all seem to have a bolder font that the rest of the country. Some new Toyotas also have an odd font put on their new cars recently.

NI has its fair about of "chav/scobe" drivers, but not many cars have non-standard plates on their cars.

If metal plates were made compulsory, then the different designs of plate would go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement