Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sissoko - how good?

• 22-03-2006 4:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When he first came on the scene he was branded a possible new Vierra.
    While he is no Vierra yet ,the word "yet" could be valid as he is getting better and better all the time.
    After a dodgy start he has really improved no end the last few months imo.
    Up until his injury he has been outstanding.
    Sure he has some flaws like giving the ball away cheaply at times but overall he has impressed me no end.
    As good as Vierra was? only time will tell but i wouldnt bet against him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I agree completely with you. He has impressed me. Yesterday I thought he did exceptionally well considering the nasty injury he had.

He has the appearance of someone awkward and clumsy, but he actually has great control of the ball, plenty of strength and aggression and gets his long legs in well to tackle the ball. He is a huge prospect and could get very close to what Vierra is/was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Has been playing well, bet Moyes is kicking himself he didnt get that transfer pushed thru. Was thinking he was good when Valencia put in his contract at Liverpool they have first option to take him back. The only sold because he wanted to move to get more first team footie.

Good player, sometimes his tackles are a bit over the top, passing has been his let down but he seems to be getting better. Needs to get his eye protection sorted, really he shouldn't have been allowed play without them last night. If something did happen he could go blind. Liverpool should have tested the glasses before the game to make sure they wouldnt steam up. Bit short signed(:D ) there by Liverpool medical team.

He is a decent player, not anywhere close to alot of the top midfielders out there but as you said he is young and has already improved alot since the first game I seen him in. Also Gerrard seems to like playing with him because he free up Gerrard from most defensive duties

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I also meant to say he can be a bit over aggressive but im sure he will learn to curb that enough so as to not pick up too many cards.

Dcully wrote:
    I also meant to say he can be a bit over aggressive but im sure he will learn to curb that enough so as to not pick up too many cards.

Mentioned above his tackles can something be over the top:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yup just saw that Nelly after i posted second time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Must remember he is only 22 and still learning really. Is he any good? Did liverpool miss him while he was out?. Yes ++

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DC wrote:
    He has the appearance of someone awkward and clums
    He now has the appearance of a Super Hero. All he needs now is a cape!

_41469640_sissoko_ap220.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I thought he was amazing when he arrived, adapted very well to the Premiership. Lost the run of himself for a while before Christmas, giving away stupid frees etc. Definitely a prospect, and not a bad deal considering what Chelsea paid for Essien!

mike65 wrote:
    Must remember he is only 22 and still learning really. Is he any good? Did liverpool miss him while he was out?. Yes ++

As I mentioned above from day one I remember everyone saying he was a rough diamond so to speak and that he needed to get a few things sorted on his game. Passing being the main one. In his first season you can see the improvement in his overall play and passing. Was just really watching him closely last night and you could see the improvement since the last time I watch him closely in a game. You can see a great improvement. If and a big IF he continues this improvememt he could become one of the best midfielders in World but many a player has fallen to the way side after they burst onto the sceane.

Hopefully not because I like his passion!

BaZmO* wrote:
    He now has the appearance of a Super Hero. All he needs now is a cape!

_41469640_sissoko_ap220.jpg

A super hero who cant see because its too Steamy

"Oh young man!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

He's the reason we have been able to get the grip in midfiled we lacked last season and climb the table. He has an enormous well of energy, never seems to tire and rarely misses a tackle. As mentioned, his passing is a bit off but he has plenty of time to practice that.
    Himself, Gerrard and Alsonso make up a fantasy central midfield. More like him please Rafa.

Some stat which I mentioned in another thread showed how he covered 50% more ground in a typical game than the average Prem midfielder.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

DaBreno wrote:
    Himself, Gerrard and Alsonso make up a fantasy central midfield. More like him please Rafa.

Hear hear! :-)

Don't start to go over the top, he is a decent player I agree with but he has alot to learn and improve in his game. There is alot more better midfielder in England let alone the World but he has the oppurtunity to continue to improve so he can move up toward being a complete midfield player which he is not at the moment.

I would rate Hamann as a better midfielder playign in that role at the moment but his age is catching up on him so he cant play as much. If he teachs Sissoko all he knows then Liverpool will gain a good young Hamann who could even become better than Hamann is

I think its the combination thats impressive rather than the individual talents (though they're pretty decent too! :) ).

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I think its the combination thats impressive rather than the individual talents (though they're pretty decent too! :) ).

Mike.

Agree here, Alonso/Gerrard/Sissoko play well together but in that combination I would stick in Hamann against the top teams. Think he has more about him in a tight midfield battle. Have to remember Sissoko looked great last night but the Birmingham midfield was non-existant. Liverpool player where just walking up the pitch with the ball and not getting tackled, no pressure on the ball. It would be difffernet if you where playing Bolton who put constant pressure on the ball in midfield area

Big Nelly wrote:
    It would be difffernet if you where playing Bolton who put constant pressure on the ball in midfield area

Its games against Bolton where he excels. Last season, the like of themselves, Boro etc were rolling us over with hard working midfielders, preventing us from gretting a foothold in midfield to control the game. Momo is our answer to that. He never seems to tire or slow down, his function is to cover the pitch harrying the opposition while they have possesion, break up their movements and get the ball back. He does that exceptionally well. By third time I watched him play this season, I was singing his praises to anyone who would listen. He's a quality signing, made for the Prem and will get a lot better. Hubba!

DaBreno wrote:
    Its games against Bolton where he excels. Last season, the like of themselves, Boro etc were rolling us over with hard working midfielders, preventing us from gretting a foothold in midfield to control the game. Momo is our answer to that. He never seems to tire or slow down, his function is to cover the pitch harrying the opposition while they have possesion, break up their movements and get the ball back. He does that exceptionally well. By third time I watched him play this season, I was singing his praises to anyone who would listen. He's a quality signing, made for the Prem and will get a lot better. Hubba!

Yes I know what he does, but Hamann does the same and I would rate him as a better overall player at the moment than Sissoko, would you not?

I think Didi is legend but Momo is far more mobile. Didi has the experince and his advancing years are compensated by his reading of the game, he knows where to put himself. But faced with the likes of Davids and Kevin Nolan, Id rather the work-hungry and pacey Momo. Didi doesnt waste possesion either but as we said, no better man than the meticulous Rafa Benitez to improve that part of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yes I know what he does, but Hamann does the same and I would rate him as a better overall player at the moment than Sissoko, would you not?

Hamann has better distribution! However as you said earlier Hamann is getting on a bit now and Sissoko is the up and coming player! I would not mind having Hamann around for another season but eventually Sissoko will be a fixture in the team he has been improving with every game, and hopefully he will bloosom into a great player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I've gone a bit AWOL as far as Liverpool games are concerned since January but I have to say that Sissoko has yet to convince me that he is the "new Viera" from what I've seen he's awkward and occasionally verges on dangerous in relation to tackling. Still he's young and he'll probably get better with time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

as mike stated look at the games he was missing for, and i think it speaks for itself. when a team starts doing badly you have to look at what has changed and that was no sissoko and i know you cant put the poor form on him missing but the amount fo ground he covers and he breaks up the play very well.

i dont think hamann has much left in him (along with hyypia) he doesnt have the pace of momo and the ground he covers has to be a hell of a lot less. all in all momo should be a consistent starter for the rest of the season with hamann maybe playing for the last 15 to close out the opposition in tight games.

but it is great to see him back and playing so well, especially after an injury like his is no easy task. long live momo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Big Nelly wrote:
    he is a decent player I agree with but he has alot to learn and improve in his game. There is alot more better midfielder in England let alone the World but he has the oppurtunity to continue to improve so he can move up toward being a complete midfield player which he is not at the moment. I would rate Hamann as a better midfielder playign in that role at the moment but his age is catching up on him

I agree with your viewpoint BN stated above.

He is a rough diamond, and whilst he is getting about and winning tackles, he is also giving away frees and picking up cards and is far from the finished article. Maybe he has learned from his eye injury incident and perhaps is more controlled. Last night was not a litmus test for his skill or control, as lets face it, Birmingham were just terrible in midfield. I re-watched the Morientes goal and they gave no protection for the defense which was a 4 v 4 situation, and were just walking and watching.

As many say, he is only 22 and there is time for further development, but it is needed.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Big Nelly wrote:
    Agree here, Alonso/Gerrard/Sissoko play well together but in that combination I would stick in Hamann against the top teams. Think he has more about him in a tight midfield battle. Have to remember Sissoko looked great last night but the Birmingham midfield was non-existant. Liverpool player where just walking up the pitch with the ball and not getting tackled, no pressure on the ball. It would be difffernet if you where playing Bolton who put constant pressure on the ball in midfield area

I'd have to disagree. i am much happier when i see Sissoko in the line-up instead of hamann.

Didi is a great player when you are playing the weaker sides and you just need him to sit in front of the back 4 and control a game. but against the better sides Momo is am uch better opition.

By just using the b'ham match your giving Sissoko a discredit. Against Arsenal at anfield he was our man of the match, he had an excellent game against united in the Fa cup aswell. I feel if we had him instead of didi against Arsenal at highbury we would of done alot better.

Arsenal got far to much time and space in midfield. This wont happen with Sissoko. I think he has massive potential. And if he continues the way he is, and rafa stays on to coach him i can see him being one of the best midfielders in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

He is what the Spanish call a "destroying" player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

He's got decent pace, great aggression and tonnes of stamina. No one's saying he needs to pass like Alonso, but the ability to make short, simple passes like Hamman would be great.

Advertisement