Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SImple Question: Scandanavian Metal

• 22-03-2006 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Right, amtter of opinion here folks, but hopefully I'll get some good reccomendations thrown at me. What is the greatest scandanavian metal band of all time?
    Personally, I vote for Opeth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Agony, Hexenhaus, Artillery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Spiral Architect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That little chunk of the world has produced far too much amazing metal to ever have just one band top of the list. There are simply too many It's a metal goldmine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Snoogans wrote:
    What is the greatest scandanavian metal band of all time?

No such thing.

But there are plenty of absolutely fantastic Scandinavian Metal bands, here's a few:

Emperor
    At The Gates
    In Flames
    Sonata Arctica
    Children Of Bodom
    Arcturus
    Dissection
    Enslaved
    The Haunted
    Immortal
    Mayhem

Though my personal favourite would probably have to be Opeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dismember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Despite the IMMENSE knobbery of Varg Vikunt, I was listening to Burzum earlier and forgot just how ****ing good they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

John2 wrote:
    Despite the IMMENSE knobbery of Varg Vikunt, I was listening to Burzum earlier and forgot just how ****ing good they were.
    You reckon? I think they had one or two really classy bits here and there, but other than that, mediocre. Maybe I'm just predjudiced against metal's unsung knobhead though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

burzum is very underrated i feel as a musicician.
    i remember listening to him for the first time, knowing his background and ideals.
    i was expecting very poor music, but instead i was treated to excellent riffs which he used in repetition.everything i have of burzum i was impressed by (i dont have daudi baldrs, which is considered rubbish i heard).

if you you were forced to pick one band thou, i think emperor are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Locust Reign

Meshuggah for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

I'd say Emperor. Such amazingly well constructed music. And the keyboards... As an experience, listening to an Emperor album is so good it beggars belief. But I like Burzum's music a lot too. The whole dark, trancey thing is really cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭psilocybe

Opeth and Emperor are tied with me with Enslaved not far behind.

Snoogans wrote:
    You reckon? I think they had one or two really classy bits here and there, but other than that, mediocre. Maybe I'm just predjudiced against metal's unsung knobhead though.

Personally I think Filosofem is one of the best albums ever. The first two albums and the Aske EP are excellent too but there's something about Filosofem that is just ****ing bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I've only got into the Scandanavian thing recently but so far my favourites are Opeth and Darkthrone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I agree with John2 on Burzum, Filosofem is an incredible album. I like the releases prior to that as well but there is just something about Filosofem that still grabs me. Maybe it's because of when I got it, who knows.

For me the number one Scandanavian metal band is At The Gates. There's no doubt in my mind that they are the greatest. After them, I quite like Emperor, Mayhem and Burzum but they all pale in comparison to At The Gates. For some reason I just can't get in to Opeth. They're a band I should like but just...don't. Oh well.

Edit: Forgot about Darkthrone and In Flames somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Apart from Opeth, Katatonia, Bodom, I really love Green Carnation. Really excellent band & playing here again in September. Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Burzum, purely for Filosofem, Dunkelheit písses all over everyone else. Although, Darkthrone, even though they suck ass now, would be a close second as Panzerfaust was just....Fecking amazing.

But I'd say Burzum, Watain, Dissection, Bathory, Meshuggah, Emperor, Einherjer, Ulver (The lack of Ulver in this thread makes me sick), Hellhammer(the band)
    Isengard , Nifelheim and Svartsyn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oral Slang wrote:
    Apart from Opeth, Katatonia, Bodom, I really love Green Carnation. Really excellent band & playing here again in September. Can't wait!

Again? They must really love Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Again? They must really love Ireland!

Yeah they seem to. Kjetil announced it on Wednesday on Metal Ireland..

Date was to be the 2nd of September in the Music Centre, but its clashing with another metal thing thats in the planning stages, so its gonna be moved to another Saturday around that time.. Can't friggin wait - the last two gigs here were amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

1. Opeth
    2. Emperor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

On a purely personal level, it's a tie between Anata and Zyklon for me. Both amazing bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My inner power metaller has to say Sonata Arctica. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Are Thereion Scandanavian?They're pretty good..

Ulver, Ive mentioned them before, and I'll say it again.Ulver!!!!

Ulver you say?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My inner power metaller has to say Sonata Arctica. :)
    Yay for Sonata Arctica! They are a great band indeed.

A mention goes to Ensiferum also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

borknagar
    ..and oceans
    bloodthorn

(where are my dying bride from?)

to name but a tiny few i love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Finntroll :)

If anyone is a fan of Finntroll (which should be all of you!), you should check out 'Little Dead Bertha', their a Russian band who were heavily influenced by Finntroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

byte wrote:
    A mention goes to Ensiferum also.

Damn straight. Wintersun, too.

Also, Opeth, Sonata Arctica, Finntroll, Bodom, Korpiklanni and dozens more.

A few bands here I still have to sample...

John2 wrote:
    Ulver you say?

ULVER!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Oh Ulver! Of course.

Actually, I do need to buy some Ulver. Karl Hungus recommended them before to me but I've never gotten around to buying any. Suggestions?

Advertisement