Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SImple Question: Scandanavian Metal

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

byte wrote:

A mention goes to Ensiferum also.

gave enisferum a listen to last week, wasnt majorly impressed. there new cd - dragonhead (i think thats the name ??) is ok though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

John2 wrote:
    Oh Ulver! Of course.

Actually, I do need to buy some Ulver. Karl Hungus recommended them before to me but I've never gotten around to buying any. Suggestions?

Twilight Songs - Kveldssanger
    Svidd Neger
    Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
    Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler (good BM in this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cheers Dathai, I'll look into them when the oul grant comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm gonna have to go with Vintersorg and Nightwish.

Both have power metal qualities with Vintersorg leaning toward the more death metaly side(although admittedly normally I'm into the 'lighter' types of metal).

If anyone hasn't heard of either of these bands check them out, Vintersorg's best album is probably Till Fjalls(although this is all in Swedish, he has later albums such as Cosmic Genesis almost entirely in English) and Nightwish's Highest Hopes(greatest hits) offers a nice variety of their best songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

gline wrote:
    gave enisferum a listen to last week, wasnt majorly impressed. there new cd - dragonhead (i think thats the name ??) is ok though

The first two Ensiferum albums are absolute quality...brilliant band. Havent heard Dragonheads..its meant to be good tho

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote:

If anyone hasn't heard of either of these bands check them out, Vintersorg's best album is probably Till Fjalls(although this is all in Swedish, he has later albums such as Cosmic Genesis almost entirely in English)

managed to get all their albums on the weekend, yeh till fjalls seems to be really good. :)

Amon Amarth

/me holds up Once Sent From The Golden Hall

Worship!, Ye Bástards!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dathai wrote:
    Amon Amarth

/me holds up Once Sent From The Golden Hall

Worship!, Ye Bástards!!!!!
    YES! :)

Amon Amarth are an amasing band, one of the few bands to still be brilliant now 12 years after their first album, their latest addition (Fate of Norns) is still excellent, they have a DVD coming out soon too, called “Wrath of the Norsemen”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

ARCH ENEMY, how have they been forgotten, wait there scandinavian right?

Patricide wrote:
    ARCH ENEMY, how have they been forgotten, wait there scandinavian right?

who cares they are s**ite anyway ;)
    LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Arcturus.

And if Lativian is included, then Skyforger too.

Dathai wrote:
    *Snip* -Karl

Sorry man, I don't swing that way. Legal and disc shaped for me all the way. Speaking of disc shaped and Scandinavian, look what arrived in the post for me today.

Ooh a Mayhem box set!
    dscf00047nw.jpg

All the studio recordings (including two tracks with Dead) on vinyl. Nice!
    dscf00056kb.jpg

And only €25. Bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Arcturus! How could I ever, under any circumstances, have forgotten those gods among men?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

a box set?!!!!one

that is neither grim, true or necro!

John2 wrote:
    Sorry man, I don't swing that way. Legal and disc shaped for me all the way. Speaking of disc shaped and Scandinavian, look what arrived in the post for me today.

Ooh a Mayhem box set!
    dscf00047nw.jpg

dscf00056kb.jpg

And only €25. Bargain.

€25?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

John2 wrote:

Ooh a Mayhem box set!
    dscf00047nw.jpg

dscf00056kb.jpg

And only €25. Bargain.
    what site btw?

By the way John2, you realise getting a box set for €25 is only technically legal, it's in no way fair. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

By the way John2, you realise getting a box set for €25 is only technically legal, it's in no way fair. :p
    Its only legal because lawyers have no taste in music :o

a box set?!!!!one

that is neither grim, true or necro!

It's kvlt.

I got it from a French metal mail order site. They seem to have more of them. I've only listened to the 7" so far, it's the two studio tracks that Dead did before he lived up to his name. Very good. The one thing I will say is that the vinyl is quite thin, in fact very thin. Still for €25 it was worth the money (I saw it for 50-100 on ebay). I only had a legit copy of De Mysteriis... on CD so I decided I'd fill up the collection the quick and easy way. Maybe once I finish college and begin working I'll start working on collecting first pressings (my number one BM goal is to get Burzum's Aske with the free zippo with the burned church on it \m/ )

De Mysteriis ftw. Ive hardly any vinyl tbh, Ive handled quite a bit of good merch, vinyls which are worth a small fortune now I'd say.
    I want the zippo lighter though :)

• Advertisement

All the first pressings are being snapped up for outrageous prices by Americans who have missed the whole BM buzz up until recently when Southern Lord made it cool.

Advertisement