Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism in UCD

Options
  • 22-03-2006 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I want to study journalism in college but have been told best thing is to do an Arts degree first and write for the college papers. i've applied for UCD but am finding it difficult to get info on what papers there are?
    I found the University Observer on the web, is that the only one someone told me there was another one?
    What's it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Yeah there's one called The College Tribune as well. the observer is funded by the students union and it's a bit more serious than the tribune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

both papers are of quite a low standard for the most part. i prefer the tribune because it is funnier and does not attempt to take itself as seriously as the observer - a wise move for a college paper. but i'd say you'd get some decent experience out of it but as far as i can tell from some articals in both papers, anyone who has a basic tentative grasp of the english language can have their pieces published.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

They're both fine papers considering their limited resources. And their staff work damn hard.

I've been an avid follower of Faustus and Tallyrand ever since I picked upmy first copy of both as a wee first year, never suspecting they'd they'd both do me the honour of ripping the piss out of me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

My advice would be to come to ucd and take subjects like english and history and maybe politics, things that teach you about stuff you'll need to know for being a journalist. join one of the newspapers either the observer or tribune obv. observer apparently always needs staff but they're reluctant, in my experience, to accept any. however still worth a shot. check back in september

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Both papers will let pretty much anyone do an album review, I don't know about news pieces, but I think their quite open about taking people on, but a quick glance through by lines will tell you that you usually have to be involved for a while to do features or opinion pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I think I saw an interview with some sort of journalist (they were being interviewed) in which they said that they were told to do arts, because 'you need to have something to write about', as opposed to just knowing how to write it. Makes sense :)

Good luck to ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Just a quick thought; If you are thinking of becoming a níche journalist, hows about doing one of the Irish courses or subjects in an Arts degree? I'm sure that would open up many opportunities...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Of course, you could always just do Journalism in DCU...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

Of course, you could always just do Journalism in DCU...

:eek: :( :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah the journalism course in DCU is meant to be very practical - there is only one college paper...I think, but its a pretty good one, makes the College Tribune look serious! Although if you're set on UCD try to do a course that will give you some practical and useful knowledge for when you're writing - politics is the obvious choice I'd say

• Advertisement
Advertisement