Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion - insulation concerns & general tips

Options
  • 22-03-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a low cost simple attic conversion. Have a guy coming to quote me but I know he does jobs in the region of 15k. I've seen a job he's done and it's good work.

He's coming to quote me in a few days. I have some questions.

* With this new energy efficiency lark coming in next year, what type and how much insulation should I be making sure gets put in ? I would like to go over the top on insulation if I can. According to this article I should be using 10-12" of insulation. Would it be a good idea to increase this ?

* What else should I be asking this builder in terms of the work he does and the materials he uses

* Anything else I should be considering doing while he's doing this job ? Eg: I'm planning on getting him to run some power cables down into the bathroom walls in case I want to add power showers in the future. Also going to get him to run some Cat5 cable down into the bedroom walls so I can wire up some routers for a shared wired internet connection. Will also run a phone connection up for a broadband modem. Anything else worth considering ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Don't forget about coax cable for TV... getting into the eaves and drilling down to the lower bedroom is uncomfortable work to say the least.

I'd say splash out on the biggest windows you can afford... it'll be well worth it.
    And keep a close eye on the plasterer... if he does a lazy job, you'll be cursing him for years.

There's also a building regulation that requires large steel beams going from one supporting wall to the other, to support the floor of the attic... I think this is only required if it's going to be used as a bedroom... I'm not 100% on the specifics, but definitely look into this and make sure you're covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

cool. anyone any comments on the insulation side of things ? This is a real concern for me since it has to be right first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

The insulation sixe will be dictated by the depthof your raftersas a 50mm/2inch ventilation gap is required between the top of the insulation and the felt. The ideal insulation to use here is a board type either Kingspan or xtratherm. The thickness of the board will be your rafter depth less 50mm ventilation gap. I think the required u value for roofs is 0.16 wm2oC. If you wish to have additional insulation you may use insulation backed plasterboard for the ceiling and walls of the room, alternatively you could put battens on the rafters to give them greater depth and just use a thicker board, may be cheaper?
    The steel beams are usually used when you are repositioning the hangers and moving them closer to the eaves.
    15K is about right you should be getting a good quality job with a nice stairs bathroom etc.
    Have to agree with the point about the plastering also , try and make sure they don't plaster your windows and doors aswell they can get carried away hence the name "muckbirds"

you reckon I could get a bathroom in there too for 15k ? I wasn't banking on that and I know the job this guy did for around this much didn't include one.

Anyone have recommendations of people I could call for an alternative quote ? Only numbers of people that have done a good job on time wanted - I don't want any cowboys that will take months to do the job.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I was at the Homes and Gardens exhibition at the weekend. I went to the Kingspan stand and got information about their solid double foil insulation which seems to be an excellant product. It would be time consuming to cut and put in however. I was also thinking of a thermal plasterboard as well and this would reduce the heat sink at the rafters.

I also saw another product - Tri-Iso Super 9 from Actis - it is like a big roll and you can just attach it under the rafters. They claim as good insulation properties as the Kingspan. I am not sure about the difference in price for the product (it is circa 16.5e/ m2) but the installation costs will surely be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

m_stan wrote:
    you reckon I could get a bathroom in there too for 15k ? I wasn't banking on that and I know the job this guy did for around this much didn't include one.

Anyone have recommendations of people I could call for an alternative quote ? Only numbers of people that have done a good job on time wanted - I don't want any cowboys that will take months to do the job.

thanks all
    I imagine a bathroom would add a bit of extra to the cost - fittings, plumbing, partitions etc.............

I can guarntee you the job can be done with the inclusion of a bathroom for that price did one lastyear with another fella for under 15k full bathroom 3no. veluxes 2 of which were quite large and a small one in the bathroom and what is more the stairs for the conversion was v. expensive can't remember exactly but prob 2 - 3.5k and all walls were beautifully skim finished.

great! do you have a number for the guy who did it or did you do it yourself ? thanks

I will ask the guy I did it with I am emigrating at the end of May so cannot do it but I will ask the fellow I work with if he is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

Hi O-Ninio.. I live near ashbourne, Meath. Would you mind asking your mate if he could get in touch with me about an attic conversion. My head is fried going through golden pages.

I've had 2 quotes so far on our 3 bed semi... 20K and more recently 16K finished but no en-suite. The second guy that quoted me is a carpenter by trade has recently done work for my Mother in Law and he is a top quality fella.. Nothing is a problem to him which has tempted my to accept his quote.. but i feel that 16k for a basic conversion is still a little ott.

Any advice appreciated!!

• Advertisement

@ BTE 72 talked to him the other day about it but he is not taking on any more jobs at the mo till he has cleared his waiting list, i now see you are in Ashbourne so don't think hed be on for the travel. As regards your conversion, you say the tradesman is good and you have seen his work then depending on the spec that sounds good, there is a lot to be said for reliability sometimes the dearer man is the cheaper one. Get a few specs off him as to what he will be including e;g insulation flooring materials etc.
    Find out if the watertank has to be moved, had to right a ceiling lastyear where the plumber threw the tank in randomly without adequate support and after filling the tank to test the system the joists compressed a huge distance, make sure if they are moving it adequate support is put in place. Or put it over a load bearing wall.
    Anyway if that fella impressed the 'mother in law' he must be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

M stan a mate of mine lives in Ridge wood and recently got his attic converted for 15 K no bathroom although he was delighted with the work and the lads that did it so maybe sounds like the same guy , i was interested in getting it done but the well is a little dry at the present , I have his contact details let me know if you want them and ill PM it to you dont know if he wouild appreciate me posting them here .

nice one toolong. Send on those details by PM. Thanks

anyone know if I would have any chance of getting planning for a dormer attic conversion in Fingal ? I don't see a lot of them. The only one I noticed was to the side, and not sure if they got planning or just went ahead without. A builder relative of mine said it was unlikely Fingal would approve, but not sure how well informed he is.

Any ideas ?

Advertisement