Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i-trip for I-pods?

Options
  • 22-03-2006 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Anyone know where i can buy a new I-trip for an I-pod in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

Haven't seen them anywhere here (got mine in France)..as far as I know the are "illegal"...maybe try Mr. Calculator off Grafton St.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

I think they're illegal to use but not illegal to buy or posess. If that makes any sense. At least i think thats the position in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

You cant get them in shops in Ireland unless they sell them on the sly (and I know a couple that do but not in dublin). I bought mine on ebay brand new and perfect for about €30 incl. shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

***Double Post***

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I saw them somewhere in Dublin for sale over the counter think it was around Camden street if i think of the shop ill let ya know. I got mine in the states and theyre **** so i wouldnt bother if i was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tph24601

stupid question, why is it illegal? all it does is just sending out radio signal within your car???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

its illegal because its classed as pirate radio. you can get something that does the same job in b-cool gadgets in the jervis street shopping centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Basically, it transmit's on FM and in order to transmit on FM you need a licence issued byt the goverment / telecommunications regulator.

It's not like a gun licence or car licence in that you can just purchase one, the law was brought out years ago to regulate radio stations, "legal" stations such as 2FM, Century, FM104 etc operate under one of these whereas pirates don't.

It's one of those funny points of law that'll take years to be ammended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've only seen one of these devices connected to na iPod and it was crap !!! The sound was ruined by a background buzzing noise regardless of frequency or car stereo. I expected a lot considering the hype surrounding them but was very disappointed.

As mentioned above B-Cool2 (Also in the Pavillions in Swords) do several devices that perform better. I bought one of these. Good sound and charges the iPod as well as keeping it from rattling all over the car !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

ZENER wrote:
    I've only seen one of these devices connected to na iPod and it was crap !!! The sound was ruined by a background buzzing noise regardless of frequency or car stereo. I expected a lot considering the hype surrounding them but was very disappointed.

As mentioned above B-Cool2 (Also in the Pavillions in Swords) do several devices that perform better. I bought one of these. Good sound and charges the iPod as well as keeping it from rattling all over the car !

ZEN

Is that really any good Zen?
    I bought an i-trip months ago and used it for a while but to be honest it was pretty useless.The sound was poor and trying to keep a signal was nearly impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The problem with any of these devices is proximity to the radio antenna and finding a "quiet" frequency. Another issue is that they never sound as punchy as the radio stations surrounding them which can make them sound poor, cure = turn up volume and adjust tone controls.

With this device there are only 4 frequencies to choose from and they're all around 88MHz (88.1 - 88.3 - 88.5 - 88.7) which is occupied by Radio 1 mostly but I've had no problems with it overpowering those signals and getting the signal to work.

Having seen the iTrip I preferred this thing because it supported the iPod and charged it and kept it accessible. Just be aware that it's not very flexible, so keep in mind where the Cigar-Lighter is in your car. I have a 3rd gen Prelude so it fits perfectly below the stereo an front of the gear stick within finger reach. There are other versions so search around to find one that suits your car layout.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I got the iTrip Auto (charger and iTrip in one) the other day and I have to say it's brilliant. It's obviously not going to be any better than FM quality, but there's no buzzing or hiss.

You can use USA tuning or European tuning, I have mine set to 105.8FM and today I was driving all around Dublin and it was 100% perfect!

It was bought for me on ebay, think it was 30 euro including shipping from the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

well i think thats unusual. i got two and they were crap. buzzing all the time. they are crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

tabatha wrote:
    well i think thats unusual. i got two and they were crap. buzzing all the time. they are crap!

I wanna get one aswell.....a friend has one says that theyre great- didnt have any probs.....havent seen them anywher in town though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I have one, used it a fair amount - in cars, on people's stereos on holidays etc. Have never ever heard it buzz, ... ever and no-on else I know has mentioned theirs buzzing either. I think once you set them up okay and pick a FM channel with nothing else on it, then the sound is fine. It's basically a radio so you have to avoid sources of interferance of course (Got mine on eBay btw)

Advertisement