Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux, Need Help Getting Started.

Options
  • 22-03-2006 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

This is driving me mad . How on earth do I install Linux? Here is what I have so far...
    I downloaded the recommend Linux for my computer. Linux GPL is recommend by the manufacture. I downloaded at
    http://www.targa.de/index.jsp?SID=0&NAV=1398&DOC=0&PAGE=0&PCAT=0&PROD=0&PTUBE=&PARAMS=&PARAMS2=&SPCAREA=undefined. My computer is Targa Traveller 826T MT32. I have downloaded the file. It now ask me:
    Please use the kernel version 2.6.6 to build the system.
    I downloaded it. Now I have to compile kernel, with a C compiler, and how do I compile it to compile the system (very confusing). I don't have one, I would be gratefull if you recommend one. If anyone use kernel before can you explane how do I use it after I compile it. I know it is hard to explain it over the net, but give it a try.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What do you want (to use) Linux for?
    Linux is merely the kernel itself i.e. The core of the OS.
    You may find Wikipedia a good starting point for understanding : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
    (There's also a Unix forum, which covers all things *Nix (Including Linux). http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=32

You might find it easier to download a 'distro', which would (In most cases) provide everything set up for you - you simply have to install it and tweak it a bit...
    A Linux distribution or GNU/Linux distribution (or a distro) is a Unix-like operating system comprising software components such as the Linux kernel, the GNU toolchain, and assorted free and open source software. Some proprietary software is found in certain distributions and is not free software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cyrus the virus

Karoma wrote:
    What do you want (to use) Linux for?
    Linux is merely the kernel itself i.e. The core of the OS.
    You may find Wikipedia a good starting point for understanding : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

You might find it easier to download a 'distro', which would (In most cases) provide everything set up for you - you simply have to install it and tweak it a bit...

For The Fun. To See Can I install it. To improve my IT Skills

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's a bit heavy for a first time Linux installer. I'd start by installing a distro (I usually recommend Ubuntu to n00bs) and move on from there.

oscarBravo wrote:
    That's a bit heavy for a first time Linux installer. I'd start by installing a distro (I usually recommend Ubuntu to n00bs) and move on from there.
    Funny You should have said that, I just download Ubuntu. After seaching the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

if your interested a bunch of us are meeting up on Sat. Its an informal thing and will definitely be noob friendly, so we could help you install if you are still stuck.

details about meet up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

there's a bit of a get together and mini installfest on saturday
    see the thread in Operating Systems -> Unix -> Boards.ie 1st Linux Meet-up
    if you want a bit of help with it...

damn Blowfish bet me to it
    *larryone shakes his fist at Blowfish*

goddamn secure encryption algorithms muttermuttermutter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

:D maybe i just type faster ;)

damn these claws of mine!!!!!111oneone

• Advertisement

larryone wrote:
    damn these claws of mine!!!!!111oneone
    Have you tried using both hands for a change? Ahem. :D

are you using the kamikaze bomber approach?

It always seems everytime I sit down to a computer I'm eating a chicken sandwich. As a result of this I can only type with one hand. I also only have bones in 3 of the fingers of my right hand; pointer, pinky and thumb. My typing is slow. I think I might have better luck with my toes...

larryone wrote:
    It always seems everytime I sit down to a computer I'm eating a chicken sandwich. As a result of this I can only type with one hand. I also only have bones in 3 of the fingers of my right hand; pointer, pinky and thumb. My typing is slow. I think I might have better luck with my toes...
    ...and,at that,only the left one?:)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

larryone wrote:
    It always seems everytime I sit down to a computer I'm eating a chicken sandwich.
    Uh huh. Chicken sandwich. Uh huh.

Is that what you kids are calling it these days...?

;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

haha brilliant...chicken sandwich

Advertisement