Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

T-Cut

Options
  • 22-03-2006 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Having used T-Cut once I have to say it's great stuff on the car, however I am wondering is it safe to use every few months or is it something that you use once a year as it may wear down the coats of paint on the car or does it do no harm at all? I was under the impression that it lightly removed a tiny layer from the top to give the lovely shine am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah from what ive heard, it removes a tiny layer of the laquer to give a 'fresh look' ... Wouldnt recommend doing it on a weekly basis, however im open to correction on this

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use a proper shampoo and wax as otherwise you will eventually be down to bare metal.
    Meguiars or Autoglym spring to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

AFAIK T-cut is a very mild abrasive compared to "rubbing compound" that's used in bodyshops. However I still woudn't use T-cut on the whole car too much, every few months sounds way too often and I don't see why anyone would need to use it that often. Use it once in a blue moon and shampoo/wax your car the rest of the time and it will look grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Cheers lads, have only used it once over 6 months ago but I wanted to give it another go to get rid of all the winter gunk that must be gone through the paintwork. I normally use AutoGlym on the car, it's great stuff but on the occasion I did use the T-Cut and then applied the AutoGlym the car really did look stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BrianD3 wrote:
    AFAIK T-cut is a very mild abrasive compared to "rubbing compound" that's used in bodyshops. However I still woudn't use T-cut on the whole car too much, every few months sounds way too often and I don't see why anyone would need to use it that often. Use it once in a blue moon and shampoo/wax your car the rest of the time and it will look grand.
    Totally agree with BrianD3. If you wash & wax your car regularly you shouldn't need to use T-Cut more than once or twice in a cars lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Cheers lads, have only used it once over 6 months ago but I wanted to give it another go to get rid of all the winter gunk that must be gone through the paintwork. I normally use AutoGlym on the car, it's great stuff but on the occasion I did use the T-Cut and then applied the AutoGlym the car really did look stunning.

If you want to get the winter gunk off, get yourself Meguiar's Quik Detailer and clay bar. Then clay your car. Then wash, polish and wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ernie Ball wrote:
    If you want to get the winter gunk off, get yourself Meguiar's Quik Detailer and clay bar. Then clay your car. Then wash, polish and wax.

I second that motion!

I usually was my car every 3-4 weeks. (Would happily do it more often but it doesn't need it as I don't do a lot of mileage). With building work going on in the house for the last while I haven't had a chance to wash or wax the car since November. Gonna be doing a big clean in a week or so weather permitting. I'll wash with Meguairs shampoo first to get off the looser grime so I don't clog up the claybar with crap that I don't have to. Then Meguairs Claybar with Meguairs Quik Detailer as lubricant. Then wash again to get off any claybar residue. Then I'll use meguairs scratchX to get rid of any light scratches/swirls/skuffs accumulated over the winter. Then apply and buff off some Megs Deep Crystal Stage 1 Paint cleaner, Stage 2 pure polish and finally stage 3 Carnuba Wax....Then I'll collapse and call the ambulance assuming I have enought strength left in my arms to pick up the phone! :D

Ah, the joys of owning a black car! :D

Sh1te!! Just remembered the old mans new Black Xtrail is manky too. When he sees mine gleaming again he'll be wanting his done too....arrgghhh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm fascinated Calibos. How long does that take you?
    Don't get me wrong, I really love cars but I am basically too lazy to do all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wow Calibos - You won't be able to lift a pint glass after that 3 day car wash!!

I think I'll head up to the Statoil and get me a €10 wash.............I'm to tired after reading Calibos post!!!

Advertisement