Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you change your religion?

Options
  • 22-03-2006 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

while lying red eyed in bed listenin to tv theme songs (i know i know i'm such a fun party lovin guy) and the cheers theme came on, this made me start to recall some genius gags and scences from cheers.

then i remembered one episode when the postman (Cliff) was going out with someone and they were meant to marry but she was a differnet religion.

in order to marry her Cliff had to change religion though. he eventually decided that he would change in order to avoid them spending eternity in heaven with a mile high fence awith watchtowers seperating them (her words)

anyway the question is would you change your religion to marry someone?

Would you change? 65 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    30% 20 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    69% 45 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if i was totally head over heals besotted, there is no telling what i'd do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I'd do anything for love but i won't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The kind of woman who'd want me to change my religion is not the kind I'd even go out with.

www.churchofsatan.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

my great grand father was church of england and a major in the British army, he met my great grand mother fell in love and relinquished his prostentism for catholism. his family cut him out and to this day we never had contact with our english relatives (if we have any). he also quit the army to become a watchman for a hospital.

i relinqushed my faith, i could accept the basic premise of the catholic faith and hence after a few years read and learning about other religions and beliefs became an atheist or maybe more accuratly an agnostic

ps. i think it was woody not cliff, woody was going to marry a girl that was a different version of his faith and there were "hysterical" concequences etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No, I wouldn't marry a person with strong religious beliefs tbh. Don't trust them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

I have considered changing my religion, but not for another person. Anyone I would want to be with would have to be the kind of person who would accept me as I am.... not what they wanted me to be.

danniemcq wrote:
    then i remembered one episode when the postman (Cliff) was going out with someone and they were meant to marry but she was a differnet religion.

What about Seinfeld when Geoge changes to Latvian Orthodox to keep a girlfriend.

But the answer is no anyway. I'm not the most devout, but cedtainly wouldn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

who cares about Seinfeld though it's about as funny as Karl Spain (just my opinion) who ironically enough is sitting right beside me at the minute, wonder if he can hear what i'm thinkin...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I could only ever marry another bright

Actually... I'm not all that keen on the concept of marriage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I changed mine recently, actually. Not to marry someone though.
    I wouldn't change mine to marry them though.
    The only way I can see people doing that is if their first one didn't mean too much in the first place or the other one was similar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChillyS

I really really hope I wouldn't but who can say what they'll do untill they're in the situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Voted 'No'.

But thats not in a 'I won't change which God I belive in inorder to marry you' kind of way, its in a 'If you belive in some almighty being that no-one has ever come up with any proof of then what the hell am I doing wanting to marry you' kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

No. I would probably go through with a religous wedding if I really liked the person, but I wouldn't go round pretending.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im not sure about religion, but i would change my philosophy of life. while it isnt a change in an organised religion as such, i dont think its far off theology.

i guess it really depends.

but then again, im not religious in the sense of organised religion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It depends. If it was becoming Protesdant or greek orthadox, then yeah. Muslim, no. I used to go out with a hindu, but I probably wouldn't change it to that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Blisterman wrote:
    I used to go out with a hindu, but I probably wouldn't change it to that either.
    You can't convert to that anyway

Although maybe marriage is an exception...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

changing your religion is changing what you believe in.

you can't just wake up one day and decide ''i want to change what i believe in''.

however you can change it on a piece of paper and if someone i loved that wanted me to do that i probably would to make them happy but still be an atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Football is my religion therefore the answer is a resounding NO :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Could I possibly convince any of the fine ladies of boards to join The Esoteric Order Of Dagon so they could marry me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know...
    I would hazard no, for reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hmm, I suppose theoretically, I already have; I was brought up nominally catholic, I've been an atheist for some time. I wouldn't go out with someone who wanted me to embrace some god or other, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Like blu_sonic, my great-grandparents were from slightly differing faiths - I would have no major problem changing to another judeo/christian faith but would have serious reservations beyond that - at one stage I did consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm atheist and could not really marry someone who's a believer - too much of a culture clash. On the other hand, I could watch telly while she's off to Sunday Mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

biko wrote:
    On the other hand, I could watch telly while she's off to Sunday Mass.
    Nah... slipping into the pub across the road FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm atheist... I wouldn't suddenly find religion for a partner. It would be hypocritical of me to change my beliefs just because someone wanted me to.
    I'm not sure either if I could have a serious relationship with someone who was very religious. Too much scope for argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Changing religion would not make me change my beliefs. I would change my religion for someone else. I probably will. My beliefs may change slightly, but not directly to suit the religion I might change to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I was raised Catholic and the best relationship I ever had was with a girl who was Church of Ireland. Any time I attened a COI service with her and her family I was taken by how much saner the religion seemed than Catholicism so from that perspective I think I would.

However, given that I'm an extremely sceptical agnostic, I couldn't ever see myself adopting any religion for any reason. I'd be happy to have a marriage conducted according to the religious ceremony of any religion my partner might follow (and actually love the idea of the Quaker marriage ceremony) as long as the participants in that ceremony were aware of my lack of faith in that religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Sleepy wrote:
    However, given that I'm an extremely sceptical agnostic, I couldn't ever see myself adopting any religion for any reason. I'd be happy to have a marriage conducted according to the religious ceremony of any religion my partner might follow (and actually love the idea of the Quaker marriage ceremony) as long as the participants in that ceremony were aware of my lack of faith in that religion.

For many religions, that's a deal-breaker. I think Catholicism still forbids interfaith marriage, for instance.

Marriage is not, for the moment, an option for me, but I don't think I'd consider a church wedding. Bit hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Hell now. I'd have nothing to do with religion or that evil mass murderer that everyone calls God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

If she was pressuring me into giving up my religion and following hers, whatever that may entail, just because she was a devout follower of her faith and not because our differing faiths would be a potential stumbling block towards out marriage plans, then no, I wouldn't accept those terms.

If we just needed my name on a slip of paper declaring that I was insert religion here in order to ensure that our marriage would go ahead, if we were in love (I'd hope that we would be!) and it wasn't an attempt to "convert" me, then I quite likely would.

As for the Catholic Church "forbidding" interfaith marriages, I found this on Wikipedia:
    One issue is marriages with one of spouses belonging to a non-Christian religion (called the impediment "disparity of cult" - Catechism of the Catholic Church 1633): these marriages are not sacraments, since the letter of Canon law expressly defines the marriage as a "covenant" between baptized spouses. Still, a marriage between non-baptized spouses is called legitimum when validly celebrated, but it is really not encouraged.

Advertisement