Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a car from Sigma Cars ?

Options
  • 22-03-2006 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I recently bought a car from Sigma cars on Greenhills road off the Walkinstown roundabout. Having a nightmare, paid 8 grand for it. Since i bought it, they have had it in their garage for more time than i have had it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . Anyone else bought from these muppets ? Was there a happy ending ?:confused::confused::confused:

I bought an Alpha Romeo twin spark 1.6 2001. When i first inquired about the car they told me it was running perfectly and the garage owner had been using it the previous weekend because he liked it so much. It was advertised at 8,700 and i got him down to 7,700 euro, which was a bargain with only 50,000 miles on the clock and a brand new timing belt installed.

The Alpha had a few minor problems like front spots not working, elec mirrors not working in all directions and a couple of scratches on the body, and the rear view mirror came off in my hand, so i decided to drop the the car back after two weeks to have them repaired.

On the day i was to drop it back oil started to pour from underneath the car
    so they agreed to collect the car from my workplace and deliver to me a wonderful thrusty ford fiesta for a day or two.

After a week my car was ready to be collected so i went to the Sigma cars and waited until the sales guy to fetch my car. when he returned on foot i knew something was wrong " you wont believe what just happened" he said.
    What ? , the power stearing cable just snapped on the Alpha, so he brough me to see it and sure enough there was a pool of fluid of somekind underneath the car. In fairness the gave me a better car in the meantime while they fix the power stearing cord.

Now Two weeks later im still waiting on my car. Every day i get different excuses and the guys at Sigma take the phone off the hook and dont answer the phone bla bla bla i think they recognize my work number now.

Until this morning i got through and he said your car is ready now, great i thought, he said he would call me when it arrived back at Sigma, i asked why it had taken so lond? and what was the problem with the car ? he replied... they need to put new washers in to stop the oil leak and they had to replace the timing belt. ????????????????????? i thought it just had a new one put in a few weeks ago???? and he said.. em em em i dont know much about the mechanics of cars the muppet said.

Needless to say i have not heard back from the garage and have no idea what is wrong with the car, nor have i any idea when im getting it back or even if i want it back at this stage.

Does anyone know my rights on theis matter ? or do i have any ? can i get my money back ? i asked the but they said " no, not if the problem is fixed".

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: BEWARE OF SIGMA:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what was wrong with it?
    Did they fix the problem only for new ones to occur or have they been fixing the same problems all along?
    What kind of car?
    My €0.02 - get a full refund as the car wasn't fit to do what it was advertised as

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Ive heard a few horror stories about them,some ridiculous prices on there jap imports too.

What was the problem that the cars been back with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 headphone

kbannon wrote:
    what was wrong with it?
    Did they fix the problem only for new ones to occur or have they been fixing the same problems all along?
    What kind of car?
    My €0.02 - get a full refund as the car wasn't fit to do what it was advertised as
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 headphone

eireal wrote:
    Ive heard a few horror stories about them,some ridiculous prices on there jap imports too.

What was the problem that the cars been back with them?

Yeah mad prices. Thought i got mine at a good price tho:( :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

is there any law that can help you eg not fit for purpose, as the car was faulty when sold.
    make sure you keep at them or try get some money back anf then just try sell the car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

headphone wrote:
    :confused:
    your point is?
    You added more info to your post since I made my post!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    is there any law that can help you eg not fit for purpose, as the car was faulty when sold.
    make sure you keep at them or try get some money back anf then just try sell the car.

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 would be the main one. There is also an EU directive but not quite as useful in this situation.

TBH you have an open and shut case there. Write them a letter saying you reject the car, and want your money back within 10 days or you will institute proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The oil pouring out of the car and the power steering leak - were these the same problem? Sounds like they might have been. As regards the timing belt they might have forgotten that the timing belt was done recently or maybe it was never done at all and now someone has "let the cat out of the bag" :) Another possibility is that the belt was soaked with oil becasue of the leak and now needs replacing again as oil + rubber = a bad combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

maidhc wrote:
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 would be the main one. There is also an EU directive but not quite as useful in this situation.

TBH you have an open and shut case there. Write them a letter saying you reject the car, and want your money back within 10 days or you will institute proceedings.

You should really send them a letter that you donot want the car because of the serious faults eg power steering fluid and oil leaking. and tell them that the car is not safe on the car and that you will bring this to court:D .if you have a solictor ask him/her the best option or just tell the solictor to send the letter on your behalf as they will take that more seriously.
    Anyway good luck. and hope you get a refund

Advertisement