Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 5 shares would you invest in?

Options
  • 22-03-2006 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Say you had 5 grand to invest in shares, putting a grand in each - what would you go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I hung onto my Red Hat shares from the Dot Com era and they've really grown big time. I'm going to buy a couple of K more this year.

I'd also recommend looking at German software company SAP.

However, I think the real mega-growth sector in the next 10-20 years will be in new display technologies, such as Light-Emitting-Polymers (LEPS). I'm currently researching the companies with the patients, however many are private start-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

5 grand aint much,invest it in a fund that suits your risk appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

im in the same situation, i have 6k to invest but donot know where to invest. i might just get prizebonds but is there any option .

how much would a bank like robo give in return a year.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

drdre wrote:
    im in the same situation, i have 6k to invest but donot know where to invest. i might just get prizebonds but is there any option .

how much would a bank like robo give in return a year.?

I have just opened an account with Rabo.. They will give you 3.2% on your savings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

I hung onto my Red Hat shares from the Dot Com era and they've really grown big time. I'm going to buy a couple of K more this year

I had RHAT too at $21 !
    But i wouldnt buy any at the current level. I would buy in again at $25-26.

Others are OVTI who make cameras for phones, i posted about them a little while ago and if you bought them you owe me a pint.

I also think AMD are going to do well, take some market from Intel and they have some good products coming out in June i believe.

Two other companies are MRVL and RMBS.
    You might have guessed i like tech stocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Rabo is a good place to leave you money, but really you should look at their investment funds.

They have a range (16 in total) to choose from that you can purchase online. You can mix and match depending on how much risk\gain you want to take\have.

Their fees are a little higher than if you went the "manual" route, but is extremely handy to be able to do it online.

More info here

Im moving my PTSB "save to buy" account and putting most of it in Rabo investment funds. Ill keep approx 2k as savings and put the rest in funds and maybe invest some money in wine, although I still have more homework to do on that one.

Have a look at www.askaboutmoney.com for more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

Elan ..... a June 28th announcement should see them get the go ahead for their new drug which should drive the share price up ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Bobzy wrote:
    If your interested in putting in 5k into something I would have a look at the Liberty Gifting Programme. Originated in Africa, moved to Canada, in Germany for the last 12 years and now its starting in Ireland. We will be traveling up to Dublin to talk to people about it on Wed 29th next. Gives your a return of 7x on your investment. Email me if you want on pjb_tec@hotmail.com.

Take it easy and this is less of a chance than shares you really know nothing about.

ha ha ha ha fools and their money are easily parted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 madser77

Bobzy wrote:
    If your interested in putting in 5k into something I would have a look at the Liberty Gifting Programme. Originated in Africa, moved to Canada, in Germany for the last 12 years and now its starting in Ireland. We will be traveling up to Dublin to talk to people about it on Wed 29th next. Gives your a return of 7x on your investment. Email me if you want on pjb_tec@hotmail.com.

Take it easy and this is less of a chance than shares you really know nothing about.

am I seeing things? THIS IS A PYRAMID SCHEME ... steer clear for God's sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Bobzy wrote:

12 clicks methinks

Elan ..... a June 28th announcement should see them get the go ahead for their new drug which should drive the share price up ....

so you have access to insider information?:rolleyes: if there is an announcement on june 28th and its likely to get approval for a drug then the market will have already factored this into the price! do you know anything about the markets?

Say you had 5 grand to invest in shares, putting a grand in each - what would you go for?
    do you have a pension? invest it into your pension fund through AVC's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

do you have a pension? invest it into your pension fund through AVC's

Not a bad idea, particularly if he's on the higher rate, provided he's investing for his retirement as opposed to any other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

so you have access to insider information?:rolleyes: if there is an announcement on june 28th and its likely to get approval for a drug then the market will have already factored this into the price! do you know anything about the markets?

There's always one! (do your research before making statements) .... as the go-ahead has yet to be given, there is still the chance that the drug will not get the push. As such, major investment has yet to come (btw, prices are not 'factored' this way) .... as with all shares there is an element of risk thus until confirmation, the share price will hover .... either way .. .we'll see

Advertisement