Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options
  • 22-03-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

Right so I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss the game. Got it last night. It is amazing. The graphics are a treat and HDR really makes the textures lifelike. I'm outside the sewers at the start and the countryside looks incredible. It's playing suprisingly well on my medium level system. I'm playing at 1024x768 with an AMD64 3200+, 1GB ram and a 6600gt. Everything is on full and I'm getting steady framerates for the most part, except inside cities where it gets a bit slower. Very playable though.

I don't know whether to follow the storyline for a bit or go find some quests. It's been a long time since I played Morrowind, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Hmm, I think I'll find a horse...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i'll (hopefully) be playing this within the hour, but i'm not sure how playable it will be. from alot of the reports on the elderscrolls.com forums, its very touch and go. what i mean is it works relativly well on one computer, while someone else has major problems on another computer of the same type.

i've a similar spec to yours, except a lowly 9800pro ati instead of a 6600 nvidia, which will hopefully play the game at 1024*768 (the lowest i will go) at medium settings (no AA/HDR of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

OH MY GOD...its out and I didn't know.

/me runs to shop...realises its nighttime and goes to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i should have it by tomorrow, but i've only a 9600!! its going to look crap, but hey..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

are actually brick and mortar shops selling it?
    i canceled my preorder on play (who are now sold out) and i wonder could i have had it by friday?
    tell us more on how well it runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    tell us more on how well it runs

Runs smooth on high @ 1024x768 on my x800xl and 1.5 gigs of ram. The game is constantly pre-loading scenary and entities to stop any breakup of play so ram will play a major factor on how smooth this game runs for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I've heard that the X8xx series of cards won’t be able to enable HDR, because they only support shader model 2, whereas an equivalent Nvidia card can.

Am I wrong? Can you?

JCDenton wrote:
    I've heard that the X8xx series of cards won’t be able to enable HDR, because they only support shader model 2, whereas an equivalent Nvidia card can.

Am I wrong? Can you?

I cant enable HDR but I can enable bloom which is good enough for me (it still looks spectacular!!!!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I dont think its in the shops til Friday, but I got mine from direct2drive :D

Framerate for fighting is too slow most of the time, I'll have to try and mess with the sliders.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

Hey Elessar - what are direct2drive like to deal with? Do you download a single DVD image or a jumble of separate files? And how about download speeds from their servers?

Oh, and is that download restricted to North America, as it says here?
    http://www.direct2drive.com/376/product/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV:-Oblivion-w/-Manual

thanks,

Oh, and first post - w00t - and all that malarkey

Hemmingsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

You download a zip file with the setup contents in it. I was getting good speeds, 360kb/s maxing out my connection. It went down to between 80-150 kb/s for a few hours though.

If you buy the game as a gift, it lets you buy it without any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

nice one, thanks

think i'll log off boards now....

...wouldn't want to interrupt any downloading i might be doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Anyone heard how the xb360 version runs? I can't afford a new pc but I could scrape together enough for a *shudder* xbox.... and I want this game ASAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Inisin

Elessar wrote:
    I don't know whether to follow the storyline for a bit or go find some quests. It's been a long time since I played Morrowind, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Hmm, I think I'll find a horse...

Fighters and mages guilds :) Great places to start to get you out and about. Later you might try the Arena or even go straight for the Imperial Legion :) I want to try for Supreme Commander of the Legion. Or just towns in general, meet people, talk, etc.

For imediate action there's a cave to your right as you exit the sewears full of imps, on the lower levels you'll find ruins you can poke around in or there's the temple ruins straight infront of you... It seems to go down fairly far once you find the hidden passage ways. I got my non-rusty set of Iron armour down there, boots of iron stompyness. :) thump-thump-thump. Stealth doesn't work too well for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

lordsippa wrote:
    Anyone heard how the xb360 version runs? I can't afford a new pc but I could scrape together enough for a *shudder* xbox.... and I want this game ASAP!

Of course you do, you can run around being a malevolent wizard burninating the country side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Maaaaaaaaaan, i can't wait to play this tomorrow.

I've got a nice system in general, let down slightly by a now rather dated ATI X700 Pro. I'm hoping i'll at least be able to play the game until early next week, when the nice new nVidia 7900 GT I have in the mail should arrive :cool:

PS: From the people who have the game already, come on, give us some stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

How did you's get the game already? download-to-drive? man i have to wait till tomorrow and i hope my PC will run it well.

Branoic wrote:
    PS: From the people who have the game already, come on, give us some stories!

Heres one, This game is sooo good I spent all day yesterday playing it instead of working on a presentation I was supposed to present in college today, and subsequently e-mailed my lecturer telling him im sick so I cant make the presentation, nor will I be in today or tommorrow which means loads of Oblivion time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Beecher wrote:
    Heres one, This game is sooo good I spent all day yesterday playing it instead of working on a presentation I was supposed to present in college today, and subsequently e-mailed my lecturer telling him im sick so I cant make the presentation, nor will I be in today or tommorrow which means loads of Oblivion time :)
    maybe im your lecturer & now i know why you didnt hand it in, but i would be willing to give you an extension for you rcopy of oblivion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

JCDenton wrote:

Am I wrong? Can you?

That sucks balls. Im sure there will be a workaround in the near future.

That peice of information knocks 25% off my want to buy this game.

Thats really after wrecking my head now....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Zillah wrote:
    Of course you do, you can run around being a malevolent wizard burninating the country side.

Zillah you're a fan of the elder scrolls, nice, love those games. What kinda characters are you guys going to go for.

Personally stealthy bow wielding lunatic who is also handy with a blade and a few spells, not big into heavy armour though so might go for lighter armour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

My system:

Athlon Xp 2800+
    1 Gig Ram
    9800Pro @ 400/350

Have it running on 1024/768 - mostly medium settings, with water reflection turned on.

Its playable, not silky-smooth, but definetly playable. Game itself seem fun so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Can you get this in shops in town yet??
    If so i might stop off after work and see what i can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    My system:

Athlon Xp 2800+
    1 Gig Ram
    9800Pro @ 400/350

Have it running on 1024/768 - mostly medium settings, with water reflection turned on.

Its playable, not silky-smooth, but definetly playable. Game itself seem fun so far.

That's great to hear, I've an XP2700+, 1 Gig Ram, and a 9800 Pro. So aslong as it's playable, I'll be happy.

This game is going to be huge, does anyone think it will need its own forum, if so how do i go about starting one and being the mod of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Vegeta wrote:
    This game is going to be huge, does anyone think it will need its own forum, if so how do i go about starting one and being the mod of it
    lol

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    lol

Why is that funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Waiting with bated breath for tomorrow. I went down to my local game shop yesterday to see when they were getting it in. Good timing cos they were only getting 3 copies, 2 of which were pre-booked!

I have:
    athlon XP 3000+
    1280GB Ram
    XFX geforceFX 5900XT

To put that in context:
    FarCry
    1024 * 768
    maximum detail
    paradise render mode
    Full screen AA
    16 *AF
    (obviously there are things the card just can't do so doesn't try)

Half-Life 2
    1280 * 1024
    maximum detail (bar HDR)

F.E.A.R.
    800 * 600
    high detail

DOM 3/Quake 4
    1024 * 768
    medium detail

TBH, Morrowind is probably the game I have most trouble with even though it's much older etc.
    I think that's just due to the engine not being optimised or something.

Hope this'll help people

*Edited*
    ..Whistles...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i started playing it last night, and all i can say is HOLY ****!! its bloody amazing. so much fun to play, and such an insanely big world.

having been a huge morrowind fan, its great to be able to play something like it again. it really feels alot like morrowind, except for the combat, which is great fun. it actually requires skill (i.e blocking/dodging/striking) and the stealth and magic are damn cool too. stealth is very basic, but the crit hits from stealth are quite nice.

graphically its running quite well. i've everything set at medium and at 1024*768 res, with draw distances at max, and wter at max (ooh the reflections:D ), and it runs almost perfectly. only a slight bit of slowdown when loading into a new area (i.e from dungeon to outside).

i'm doing a fighter, with some destruction and marksmanship, and its great fun. well worth the *cough* buy...:D (and yes i will be buying it cause i want the gold septim)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

chamlis wrote:
    ...some dodgy reference to dodgy way of getting game...

Just info. that can get you banned though. I would edit that. So we know they'll have it in stock today (saw them unpacking it in square) surely someone knows of shops that usually put it out when they get it regardless of release date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Have to wait til I get a new PC. :(

Ah well. My sneaky member of the Dark Brotherhood can wait...

Advertisement