Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

If anyone wants a nifty robe:
    In Bruma, go to J'Ghasta's house, third house on the left as you enter the main castle gates, (second house down from Olav's Tap & Tack). There's a robe and hood ensemble in his house with the following attributes:

Fortify 15 points to Sneak, Illusion, Marksman, Blade & Speechcraft.

Have a good look around his house, there's some cool stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

does the arena quest ever complete?? or does it stay open so you can fight monsters each week?
    Do those matches ever end, i hate having ANOTHER open quest in the active quest window, i spent most the weekend closing small ones, (did about 20 or more) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Fidelis wrote:
    If anyone wants a nifty robe:
    In Bruma, go to J'Ghasta's house, third house on the left as you enter the main castle gates, (second house down from Olav's Tap & Tack). There's a robe and hood ensemble in his house with the following attributes:

Fortify 15 points to Sneak, Illusion, Marksman, Blade & Speechcraft.

Have a good look around his house, there's some cool stuff.
    Big Dark Brotherhood
    Thats a dark brotherhood robe and in the later missions you are sent to his house and thats a hint to what you are really doing there.
    I think I somehow have shafted my main quest.
    I have two of each of the books, can't remember where I found them(might of been an Oblivion gate) but keep playing and you should come accross one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ciaran500 - man, thanks, thought I was going to have to restart the whole game. You've thrown me a lifeline..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Don't forget you can summon any item from the console once you have the code. Also don't forget you can post specific threads about Oblivion in the Role Playing forum as opposed to making this thread 2 miles long.

• Advertisement

Fair point Musician - I'll post specifics on a seperate thread in future - but just to let peeps know - I had a brainwave and
    went back to the sewers to find my missing book - where the meeting takes place. There it was - sitting on the desk in the hideout behind the meeting room.

[Geek Moment]Thank the Nine[/Geek Moment]

[Geek Moment]Thank the Nine[/Geek Moment]

HAHA thats funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Uh oh, I've been playing merrily away not getting much into the mechanics of the game, but I've just read at http://www.getintothegame.com/pages/gamespace/story.php?pid=927345&sid=6147085&page=11 that I shouldn't try to level up too fast and keep my most used skills as minor ones. Well, I have blade, block, and light armour as major skills, and the real killer, alchemy, which I've been doing loads of. Now I've got 23 hours of play time, and I'm at level 10.

I'm thinking this is too fast, because many of my fights are very difficult and I only keep alive through copious amounts of running in circles healing while the baddies chase me then i bash them a few times and repeat.

My wife has 9 hours of play and is only level 2!!

My dilemma is, should I scrap those precious 23 hours of my life and start a brand new character, or is it possible to get my character built up through clever upgrading of skills?

TBH you should just play the game the way you want to. If its getting hard there a difficulty slider in the options you can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Balfa wrote:
    My dilemma is, should I scrap those precious 23 hours of my life and start a brand new character, or is it possible to get my character built up through clever upgrading of skills?

If you are happy with your character keep going.

You will hit level 30 soon and have the best armour.

Start using heavy armour, I used a lot of light armour at the start of the game but switched the daedric at about level 25.

How high is your strenght?

• Advertisement

Heavy has its obvious advantages but let me tell you - until you have massive strength it will piss you off when you go raiding caves and what not because, of all the nice stuff you find, you can only pick up maybe one or two items before you're over-encumbered. Its been the number 1 factor in my cash flow problems. I cry when I think of the time spent over choosing what to bring back with me and what to leave and also over the cool stuff I've left behind.

If you get to be a master at light armour you'll get a 50% bonus to your armour rating and never have my problem. Of course I'd also recommend working on your ranged attacks because I wouldn't want to get too close to anyone - that's heavy armour territory.

I still wouldn't change from heavy armour though having finally made Expert level which means it weighs half when equipped. I've also persuaded the Master trainer to train me now so it shouldn't be long before it doesn't encumber at all please god.

All in all - diff strokes for diff folks. Light armour to cash in early and move faster but not be able to take a beating, or heavy armour to be able to carry fook all but be able to take punishment. The whole game is about choices and their advantages and disadvantages I guess.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Heavy Armour obviously weighs a ton but you can get around this if you have soul gems, hard cash & have access to the Arcane University.

Simply enchant your armour with either strength or feather and you'll find you can carry loads. Perhaps enchant 2 rings and an amulet with feather purely for carrying loot back to town. Personally I have strength on the armour with feather on rings & amulets. I find I can carry plenty of loot and all my fav. weapons weapons.

As for leaving loot - you should go back and pick it up if you can't carry it all - it will still be there. I usually dump everything I can't carry near the entrance, as sometimes mobs respawn.

One last tip - get your mercantile up. I'm losing so much money selling stuff thats worth as much as 5k for only 800g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Balfa wrote:
    Uh oh, I've been playing merrily away not getting much into the mechanics of the game, but I've just read at http://www.getintothegame.com/pages/gamespace/story.php?pid=927345&sid=6147085&page=11 that I shouldn't try to level up too fast and keep my most used skills as minor ones. Well, I have blade, block, and light armour as major skills, and the real killer, alchemy, which I've been doing loads of. Now I've got 23 hours of play time, and I'm at level 10.

I'm thinking this is too fast, because many of my fights are very difficult and I only keep alive through copious amounts of running in circles healing while the baddies chase me then i bash them a few times and repeat.

My wife has 9 hours of play and is only level 2!!

Doing the same as you. Had about 16hours played and i was all ready level 16. So when i got to level 17 i decided i would not sleep again so i wont level up. I also noticed that i could sleep, level up and then check my stats and it would be almost time to level up again. So this means when you are ready to level up and if you dont like me, you wont lose your experience gained after your ready to level up which is good.

Good game but just takes so much time. Played 30hours of it in just a week and im sure i have played it allot more due to unlocking or not unlocking them chests. Them chests are just not my cup of tea......

BadCharlie wrote:
    Them chests are just not my cup of tea

There's a knack to them:
    Listen carefully to the sound the tumbler makes as it hits the the ceiling of the mechanism. The tumblers make different sounds. Play with the lock a few times, and try to listen for a unique secondary sound it makes when the tumbler 'sticks' for the longest amount of time, as in, just tap the tumblers up in the air a few times, you'll notice that there is a unique secondary sound for when the tumbler sticks for longest. It's possible to do it by ear alone. Sorry if I'm not explaining too well, hard to describe it!

BadCharlie wrote:
    Played 30hours of it in just a week and im sure i have played it allot more due to unlocking or not unlocking them chests. Them chests are just not my cup of tea......
    You can get a special lockpick that makes you never fail.
    You can get it at the Shrine of Nocturnal http://oblivion.gamewikis.org/wiki/Shrine_of_Nocturnal

Ah that's no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You can get a special lockpick that makes you never fail.
    You can get it at the Shrine of Nocturnal http://oblivion.gamewikis.org/wiki/Shrine_of_Nocturnal
    Is it just my settings or did the spoiler tags not hide that link?

because everyone's browser settings are set to highlight hyperlinks it stcks out from a spoler.

Just finished the last thieve's guild quest. My god its a marathon of a quest. phew. 3 hours and 40 minutes playing time excluding dying twice and having to go back a bit. Something serious.
    Thank the lord I had previously found the grand ring of detect life - made sneaking around much much easier. Still took ages though but worth it in the end. I now have the nocturnal cowl which solves my problem about not being able to carry much stuff with its feather 200 points enchantment and I can sell my ring of detect life cos the cowl has that built in too - happy days. :D

This really is SOME game.

it is a fantastic game, i cant wait for expansion packs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

One last tip - get your mercantile up. I'm losing so much money selling stuff thats worth as much as 5k for only 800g.

Im guessing here, but the 800gp is the merchants limit. Lower right hand corner shows the max the merchant will pay for any single item. Doesnt matter if your mercantile is 100 they wont pay any more than that for any item. Think the max ingame is 1200gp merchants. Of course the merchants limit doesnt apply to what theyll charge you for their heap of junk.

Selling items over 2000 or so doesnt make much sense unless its completely useless or youre absolutely desperate for cash.

Its retrievable, youve got blade, block and light armour as majors so youre okay. If you had athletics, sneak or acrobatics as major then forget about it and continue on your own style (you cant control levelling when youre running/jumping/sneaking about the place all the time), but if you dont just work on your endurance first (absolute priority this - the faster you raise it, the better you will be in the long term) via block/heavy armour/armourer - block is easy to train against a knife or one handed sword foe (two handers will smack you up far too fast). Armourer will repair the shield. Heavy armour you can buy training for. Strenth and Speed also sound like your best atts to work on. Just focus your play to using End/Str/Speed stats and keep track of gains. You want 10 pts of skills under each Attribute before you get your final Major skill gain, so raise Minors before the last major. You should have +5 to each attribute each level, until you max at 100. Then move onto the next attribute/skills. And thats it.

Its a style of play that not everyone likes, but it does give you short term stepping stones in a very open ended game. My wood elf archer is only level 7, but ill max speed and agility at 100 by level 9, ill max endurance at 100 by level 14, so I know where I want to get to in that time and what I need to do, which might otherwise be a problem. Scaling in the game is measured via level, but stats/attributes are more important. The whole PC advancement is pretty counter-intuitive, seeing as people can be forgiven for thinking a Level 20 PC is better than a Level 10, when the Level 10 could be miles and away stronger, tougher, faster, etc, etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback. I started a new character last night, but I might not keep him and stick with my old one.

Another question: Pay for skill training or not? What are your feelings on this?

Pay - you can only do this 5 times per level so its restrictive enough to make it not like cheating. that's my 2c anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Balfa wrote:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I started a new character last night, but I might not keep him and stick with my old one.

Another question: Pay for skill training or not? What are your feelings on this?

If its a skill you want, take it. Training is a great way to get a skill you want up quickly without resorting to crazy stuff like shooting Scamps in a cave. (:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

I have some good enchanted weapons but there charge is gone, how or who do I get them restored?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You can pay to have weapons recharged at mage guilds, but it's too expensive. You can recharge them by soultrapping creatures, then use the soul gem (with trapped soul) to charge the item (how much charge you get depends on the size of the soul, ie lesser, common, greater, etc).
    I would tell you in more detail, but I'm sure you can find info using Google, and I'm off to watch a DVD now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you get to be a master at light armour you'll get a 50% bonus to your armour rating and never have my problem. Of course I'd also recommend working on your ranged attacks because I wouldn't want to get too close to anyone - that's heavy armour territory.
    Heavy or Light armour doesnt make a difference in the late game, you will be capped at 85 armour either way if you put the 25% fire shield soul stone onto a piece of your armour, a glass pair of gloves with 25% fire shield on them offers about 40 armour at master light armour skill (dont ask how, but it does), on my main I can get away with wearing 2 pieces of light armour and a shield and still have the capped 85 armour, but thst pointless considering it weights nothing to wear, neither does heavy armour at skill 100 in it, hence their both exactly the same when your master at either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Don't forget that an expert armourer can 'repair' armour and swords up to 125% of their stated rating. So keep plugging away with the hammers until you reach at least 75 in your armourer stat and you'll have a nice bonus to both offence and defence.

The Orrery Quest should be up on the marketplace for 150 points. Its about 10 mins long. Doesn't sound like value for money :/

Another opinion thing... Use the "travel to" feature or walk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

For the first while, walk to build up your Athletics/Acrobatics and Speed. Once you max out your Speed, youll have about 50-60 in Ath/Acro so Id start using fast travel a bit then though by that stage youre so fast that its nearly as fast to go cross country anyway.

Also, theres plenty of useful things like Wayshrines, Doomstones, Heavenstones etc etc that you will not see marked on a map. They grant some extremely useful abilities. Youve got to get out and explore.

Advertisement