Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

where is Vahtacen ayelid ruins??????
    I started the mages guild quest there and left it... now it is not on my map and I dont know where it is, can someone give me directions there

its driving me crazy :mad:

Sand wrote:
    For the first while, walk to build up your Athletics/Acrobatics and Speed. Once you max out your Speed, youll have about 50-60 in Ath/Acro so Id start using fast travel a bit then though by that stage youre so fast that its nearly as fast to go cross country anyway.

Also, theres plenty of useful things like Wayshrines, Doomstones, Heavenstones etc etc that you will not see marked on a map. They grant some extremely useful abilities. Youve got to get out and explore.

does running up your speed skill?

doesnt for me, i run everywhere since i started and it has never gone up from that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

gline wrote:

Its south of Cheydinhal on the West shore near the source of the Reed River in the East of the Map. Draw a line going west from the i in Reed River and when you hit the west shore thats the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Running/Swimming increases athletics only afaik. Speed is an attribute like Endurance or Strength etc isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You only increase your Attributes when you level up. How much you increase your attributes is based on how many skills that that attribute governs increased during that level. Ask Sand, he seems to be the local number whore :)

EDIT: And this is really getting ridiculous, we need an oblivion forum. Go here all of you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054907075

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

does running up your speed skill?

doesnt for me, i run everywhere since i started and it has never gone up from that

Speed is an attribute. Each attribute is linked to 3 skills - for speed its Athletics, Light Armour and Acrobratics. Each time you level, you get a chance to increase 3 attributes. Usually its 1 point for each attribute.

But, if you raise 10 points in Speed related skills ( i.e 4 points athletics, 4 points, acrobatics, 2 points Light for total 10 ) then you will have the chance to raise Speed by 5 points next time you level.

End game, if you want to raise 3 attributes by 5 points each, you need to earn 30 skill points each level, 10 per attribute. Also you need to raise 20 minor skills before you raise you last (10th) major skill. You also need to direct your play to concentrate on using/raising those skills.

In short running wont directly raise you speed. Running will raise your athletics. Raising your athlectics will raise your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

there are loads of objects that can give constaint effects like the acrobatic amulte which will increase speed nicely!

i found raising the speed attribute to be a bit useless, your points are much better added to other skills, like agility etc, max out all the rest (except luck and personality) and then speed

i found raising the speed attribute to be a bit useless, your points are much better added to other skills, like agility etc, max out all the rest (except luck and personality) and then speed

Different strokes tbh. My character was originally built as an archer, so I was maxing Endurance, Agility and Speed. End because its mandatory, Agil for weapon damage, and Speed - well its useful as an archer to stay faster than your target. And basically because your running/jumping everywhere anyway so you might as well max speed early or you throw away those bonus points when theyre earned most easily. I have Athletics at 70 odd now, and its like blood from a stone trying to raise it at this point (minor, stealth as speciality) so If I was trying to max speed from that point, It would be so much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Any point in me buying this ?

1 gig ram
    athlon xp 3200 +
    Radeon 9600 pro 256 mb

• Advertisement

You might get away with it Tusky. It won't be pretty but it should go well enough for you to still enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Sand, I know I can only choose three attribs to increase per levelup, but is there any point in me increasing the skills of all attribs by 10 points per attrib between levels, basically so I'd have the option of adding +5 to any attrib even though I only choose to add it to three?

This is what I'm currently doing, and I guess it'll just slow down my attrib increasing but also slow down the rate at which baddies get tougher, all the while making my skills relatively higher than they otherwise would be.

I guess I'm just trying to ask if there's a reason I should be racing to increase a particular attribute quickly at the expense of fleshing out all my skills?

-- Also, when you say that endurance is mandatory, does that even go for spindley little spellcasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

gline wrote:
    I started the mages guild quest there and left it... now it is not on my map and I dont know where it is, can someone give me directions there

its driving me crazy :mad:

I know directions were already given but for future's sake it's handy to remember you just have to choose the quest again from your active quest log and it should reset the marker to the correct objective.

Sand, I know I can only choose three attribs to increase per levelup, but is there any point in me increasing the skills of all attribs by 10 points per attrib between levels, basically so I'd have the option of adding +5 to any attrib even though I only choose to add it to three?

IMO, nope. The game doesnt save those bonuses, so earning a +5 to personality (for example) and not using it at your next level up means youll have to earn that +5 all over again, but it will take longer as the higher your skills, the longer it takes to raise them.
    This is what I'm currently doing, and I guess it'll just slow down my attrib increasing but also slow down the rate at which baddies get tougher, all the while making my skills relatively higher than they otherwise would be.

Its true, you could set all your majors to be skills youll never use (hand to hand, blunt, etc, etc) and put all your useful skills as minors, and stay a level 1 with blade 100, marksman 100 etc etc. I dont think you need to though, I level slowly with earning the +5s and Ive yet to encounter a troublesome opponent.
    I guess I'm just trying to ask if there's a reason I should be racing to increase a particular attribute quickly at the expense of fleshing out all my skills?

You dont have to, you can play without maxing stats. But if you have decided to aim towards as strong a character as you can build then it makes sense to earn those +5s on each level up, and not to "waste" time earning extra skill ups that wont give you an attribute bonus (if you earn 15 speed related skills before leveling up, you still only get +5 to speed, and the other 5 skills you earned will not count at next level - your back to 0 as far as earning the +5 next level).

Once I max a stat - say Agility, then I dont care about skills related to Agility anymore. Sneak is a minor for me, so once I hit Agility 100, I quickly boosted my sneak from 60 to 100 before my next level up. No reason not to.
    -- Also, when you say that endurance is mandatory, does that even go for spindley little spellcasters?

Mandatory imo. The difference between intelligence & endurance is that endurance gives you bonus pts you cant get later. If I raise my intelligence to 100 now, or 10 levels later doesnt matter. Ill still have magicka of 200 either way. But with Endurance the difference between raising it from the off and raising it later (say from level 12 on) is about 70 hps. The higher your characters endurance is at the beginning, and the faster you raise it to 100, the tougher your character will be at the end of the day.

Mind you Id still go for the Luck boost from the Thief birthsign over the Endurance boost from the Warrior birthsign. End is easy to raise. Luck isnt.

Again, these considerations are only important if youre trying to build the strongest character you can. If not, it shouldnt impact what stats you raise or how fast.

_CreeD_ wrote:
    I know directions were already given but for future's sake it's handy to remember you just have to choose the quest again from your active quest log and it should reset the marker to the correct objective.

i know, it usually does, but it didnt for this quest, thats why i got lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Tusky, you'll be able to play it at about 20~ ish fps. If you turn everything down low, turn off grass etc. I myself have a p4 2.66, 512 ram, 9600 pro 128 mb and i get 20~ fps. It can drop unplayable low in certain buildings and in some scenes.

The extra video mem tusky has could make the difference. This game is memory hungry in all departments - esp. RAM. And to be honest, you wont miss the grass - it looks well but its very easy to lose bodies and items in it which is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I play this game at 1600*1200 with everything turned on to max. Just have shadow on grass turned off. Plays well ish but its a bit jumpy when i go out in the fields or forest and i have to fight. Plays best when im in the towns or buildings. I dont mind the little bit of lag my self as it just looks so good i dont want to turn the detail down.

You have a different philosophy than me BadCharlie. I try not to ever sacrifice gameplay for whistles and bells graphics. You'll get used to a lower resolution very quickly if you change it.

I played through COD2 at 1600 x 1200 unknowingly and the fps dropped to 20 in some parts. I changed it down to 1280x1024 and it never dropped below 50 but still looked very impressive. Resolution is the number one killer of frame rates. (Soft Shadows in FEAR being a very close second)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BadCharlie wrote:
    I play this game at 1600*1200 with everything turned on to max. Just have shadow on grass turned off.

bastard :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote:
    bastard :(

LOL

Yeah my FPS does drop when i go outside but i dont mind it looks so good. And now i have turned off all shadow and the game hardly slows down. Only when loading new area or when it autosaves it gives a slight slow down. Im very happy with my video card :)

BadCharlie wrote:
    I play this game at 1600*1200 with everything turned on to max. Just have shadow on grass turned off. Plays well ish but its a bit jumpy when i go out in the fields or forest and i have to fight. Plays best when im in the towns or buildings. I dont mind the little bit of lag my self as it just looks so good i dont want to turn the detail down.

i just play @ 1280x1024 with all the effects with no lag, id prefer that rather then lag the minute you walk out into the open air :D

gline wrote:
    i just play @ 1280x1024 with all the effects with no lag, id prefer that rather then lag the minute you walk out into the open air :D

:) you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

It seems PS2 fanboys think they have the better graphics....>_>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HHsUfConpY&feature=Views&page=4&t=t&f=b

DingChavez wrote:
    Well, in fairness, most of those things are true. The technology means nothing if the art developers aren't up to scratch. Console games have always been about making the most beautiful artwork and clever use of the system's limited ability, whereas PC games try to go all out for advanced rendering engines and what not. For example, I think Pikmin will always look amazing no matter what the future holds, just because things not only look good, they look nice. Kojima has always given MGS games huge attention to detail, and they look great. Of course it's got nothing to do with PS2 vs XBOX 360, it's just the amount of effort the developers put into things. To be honest, I'm not as impressed as most people seem to be with the graphics in Oblivion. I still think HL2 is the best looking game ever created. Valve seem to have a good blend of technology and attention to detail :)

On another note, do pilfered items in houses and so on respawn after a while the same way herbs and items in outdoor crates do?

Only stuff in cupboards. The stuff onthe counters and on display doesn't respawn.

Only stuff in cupboards. The stuff onthe counters and on display doesn't respawn.
    Arse. The whole of Bruma looks a bit spartan after my theft rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

DingChavez wrote:

can you argue that video?
    Balfa wrote:
    To be honest, I'm not as impressed as most people seem to be with the graphics in Oblivion. I still think HL2 is the best looking game ever created. Valve seem to have a good blend of technology and attention to detail :)

i said that to 3 oblivion fans and nearly got my head torn off... and i agree with hl2. source is stunning looking, and is constantly evolving (ref: dod source cinematic effects)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

but the source engine was creating a world a fraction of the size of oblivion

/EDIT for those of us lacking broadband can someone fill in the details of what happens in that video :o

Advertisement