Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    /EDIT for those of us lacking broadband can someone fill in the details of what happens in that video :o

from what little i remember of it, it had some amazing particle effects, like smoke and dirt rising from bullet holes, along with the usual brilliance of the source engine. looked pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    /EDIT for those of us lacking broadband can someone fill in the details of what happens in that video :o
    I assume you are talking about the video DingChavez posted. It basically compared the effects in MGS2 and Oblivion. Completley pointless video.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I assume you are talking about the video DingChavez posted. It basically compared the effects in MGS2 and Oblivion. Completley pointless video.

Yup, it was pretty much comparing a small, highly detailed world to a huge world where detail is obviously sacrificed for additional content. If they wanted a real comparison they should compare the same game on differing platforms...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Sand wrote:
    Yup, it was pretty much comparing a small, highly detailed world to a huge world where detail is obviously sacrificed for additional content. If they wanted a real comparison they should compare the same game on differing platforms...
    Nahh, you don't have to sacrifice detail for additional content. The content creators can be busy creating content while the 3d engine programmers are creating rain splashing effects. The only trade-off is in the broadest sense of development economics.

If the video serves purely to compare PS2 technical abilities to XBOX 360, then it's having a laugh, but it does basically say "shame on you" to bethesda for not putting in some of the efforts hideo kojima asked of his team back in 2001 (and countless other games have done before and since).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

from playing both mgs2 and oblivion i dont think you can compare them at all when it comes to graphics. Oblivion is far more stunning and has loads of different (better) effects then a console game ;)

so what if it doesnt use the same effects as mgs2, if every game that came out used every effect possible we'd wait 10years or more for each release, its just not practical, things do have to be sacrificed when developing games, everytime

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think when you compare HL2 and Oblivion people say the graphics were better in half life 2 and they would be right. The character modelling, the lighting, especially the lip-sych all looked sweet.

But Oblivion by far has the nicer textures. The environment in Oblivion is allowed to be that much prettier becuase of its setting - in a colourful lush world. If there was one problem I had with HL2 it was the drab inner-city run down locations they were required to use. The prison was grey, grey grey, the facilities just corridors of steel.

When you were on the coast outside things picked up for HL2 but when you compare the coast levels of HL2 to the average coastal area in Oblivion - Oblivion comes up the winner imo. But hey, thats what 2 (maybe 3) years does for outdoor texturing and environments technology so hats off to Valve and HL2 for achieving what they did way back then. But in Oblivion especialyl near sunset and dawn if you're on a hill of any sort and look out across the landscape you'd be hard pushed to find a nicer real than photograph than what the game can produce...

[/2 cents]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Balfa wrote:
    Nahh, you don't have to sacrifice detail for additional content. The content creators can be busy creating content while the 3d engine programmers are creating rain splashing effects. The only trade-off is in the broadest sense of development economics.

You misunderstand. I think he means "additional content", as in, "at once". You can't campare how a game rendering fifty feet of content looks, to how a game running 200feet of content looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Hey it dont matter how the game looks. Its all about how it playes. The gameplay on both HL2 & Oblivion is great.

We have all played some sh*t looking games in the past but when gameplay is great it dont matter. I remember one game i had called " Tank Attack ". Could have a four player game of it. Only problem was that all 4players had to use the same keyboard you could imagine the fun that was.

Well the game did not look great but the gameplay was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

BadCharlie wrote:
    Hey it dont matter how the game looks. Its all about how it playes. The gameplay on both HL2 & Oblivion is great.

We have all played some sh*t looking games in the past but when gameplay is great it dont matter. I remember one game i had called " Tank Attack ". Could have a four player game of it. Only problem was that all 4players had to use the same keyboard you could imagine the fun that was.

Well the game did not look great but the gameplay was fantastic.

You are so right about graphics, Jonah Lomu rugby anyone

Give me a great playing game over a great looking game anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ive only read this page,(assuming my post dosent start a new one) and im not entirely happy with the physics, i could use some more realisim.
    eg, while raiding bandit/goblin caves, you come across traps, one of which being a torso sized pendilum, activated by a pressure plate, once it has stopped swinging, put an arrow in the side of it, and notice how far it leans, HOW HEAVY CAN AN ARROW BE!:eek: , serously.

• Advertisement

ive only read this page,(assuming my post dosent start a new one) and im not entirely happy with the physics, i could use some more realisim.
    eg, while raiding bandit/goblin caves, you come across traps, one of which being a torso sized pendilum, activated by a pressure plate, once it has stopped swinging, put an arrow in the side of it, and notice how far it leans, HOW HEAVY CAN AN ARROW BE!:eek: , serously.

while the mass of the arrow is low its accelaeration is huge. I think an arrow from an english long bow leaves the bow at around 225 miles per hour

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Speaking of those giant pendulum traps the spikey ones in Oblivion to be specific. If you walk into them when they have been sprung ad stopped swinging they hurt you. Which is not a problem if you're me but a group of guards who were in with me all walked into it and got hurt (one even died cos he was a bit fooked before hand). That pissed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Vegeta wrote:
    while the mass of the arrow is low its accelaeration is huge. I think an arrow from an english long bow leaves the bow at around 225 miles per hour

you mis understand, sorry for not making it clearer. what im saying is,
    the trap, once it has stopped moving, stays vertical, right, stick an arrow into it, and once it has stopped moving, look at how much the arrow has tilted the trap, it must be like 30 degrees!(from vertical, not horizontal). get it?

the trap, once it has stopped moving, stays vertical, right, stick an arrow into it, and once it has stopped moving, look at how much the arrow has tilted the trap, it must be like 30 degrees!(from vertical, not horizontal). get it?

ooooh I see once it comes to rest it looks like the arrow is very heay and making the trap lie at a funny angle

What an incredible game that something utterly irrelevant and superficial is the biggest complaint you have.

Although theres a part of the physics that pisses me off no end. If you run down a hill, you fly into the air, as if you're running forward much faster than gravity can pull you back down. Its insufferably when you're trying to run around on roof tops. With my speedy ninja, running down a gentle hill is suicide, he's twenty feet off the ground before gravity catches up. Retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

gline, Good point.

Shivern, I prefer the textures in HL2. If you look at a muddy or rocky scene in Oblivion, the texture repetition is ugly as hell. Check out the area just east of Bruma. But yeah, the subject material does make a difference. Your point about drab inner city versus lush rolling hillsides is true. That's kind of what I was saying about pikmin.

Zillah, another fair point. I agree, to an extent, but good design of Level of Detail scaling should go a long towards overcoming this. Think of Zelda Windwaker... You can see the tower of the gods from miles away and all it really is is a flat grey polygon, but it still looks right and feels immersive. Medium distance hills in Oblivion can look pretty bad because of the way the LOD scaling works (again, east of Bruma), but maybe it's just because my video settings are too low...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Zillah wrote:
    What an incredible game that something utterly irrelevant and superficial is the biggest complaint you have.

Although theres a part of the physics that pisses me off no end. If you run down a hill, you fly into the air, as if you're running forward much faster than gravity can pull you back down. Its insufferably when you're trying to run around on roof tops. With my speedy ninja, running down a gentle hill is suicide, he's twenty feet off the ground before gravity catches up. Retarded.
    I had this, all you have to do is run down the hill sideways.

Balfa wrote:
    Zillah, another fair point. I agree, to an extent, but good design of Level of Detail scaling should go a long towards overcoming this. Think of Zelda Windwaker... You can see the tower of the gods from miles away and all it really is is a flat grey polygon, but it still looks right and feels immersive. Medium distance hills in Oblivion can look pretty bad because of the way the LOD scaling works (again, east of Bruma), but maybe it's just because my video settings are too low...

Did you confuse my post with someone else's? Because I said nothing about graphics.

EDIT: Ah, you must be refering to my post earlier today ;)
    blowfish wrote:
    I had this, all you have to do is run down the hill sideways.

Oh yeah, this I know, but I don't feel I should have to. And it still ruins most roof-top running. The game was not designed for walking on roof tops.

Zillah wrote:
    Oh yeah, this I know, but I don't feel I should have to. And it still ruins most roof-top running. The game was not designed for walking on roof tops.
    I get along grand on the roof tops by walking instead of running, although I did manage to find an amusing glitch where I managed to get on one of the cities walls, and then go outside, only for the ground to completely disapear!

Blowfish wrote:
    I get along grand on the roof tops by walking instead of running, although I did manage to find an amusing glitch where I managed to get on one of the cities walls, and then go outside, only for the ground to completely disapear!

Skingrad? I found that if you climbed onto the roof while within the courtyard of Count Skingrad's castle, then you fell out of the universe.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    Skingrad? I found that if you climbed onto the roof while within the courtyard of Count Skingrad's castle, then you fell out of the universe.
    I can't remember exactly where it was, but it let me go out onto the world map, and didn't stop me when I went outside the boundaries of the province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭GallicProphet

I bought this version of morrowind without the expansions and now cant use some of the most interesting mods because i need Tribunal.esm and / or Bloodmoon.esm files...

Anyone can supply these ?

I am in Dublin 5 but willing to pick up from anywhere in dublin

regs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Start a thread in the wanted section of the for sale forums :rolleyes:

Advertisement