Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Inisin

Does Oblivion deal with the problem in the first game where u get a great bit of loot you want to sell and no merchant has more than 10 gold pieces.

It does, at least later on in the game. Once you have a high enough disposition with the merchant you can invest in the ship raising the max amount of gold it carries. Add in the fact the NPC merchant seem to have a limitless amount of gold, the number in the corner only indicates the max pay out.

Some people have been having fun with the rag doll effects :D poor, porr horsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

All I can say is WOW!!

No pub this weekend for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I'll join you all next weekend when my new parts (and the game) arrive. AMD X2 3800+, 2GB RAM, 7800GT, 19" monitor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Im playin it now (360 version) this very good, only on for 30mins, and im enjoying it alot. I didnt have very high hopes tbh. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got it for pc,played bout an hour so far.
    Graphics are just out of this world,silky smooth for me@ highest settings 1280x1024.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

So are those of us on our 9800 graphics cards missing anything major?

Will it be a big drop in quality or just a lack of shiny armour etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nyahh stop teasing me! Im just gonna leave this thread alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ten minutes into the game, everything is working fine (on medium settings, i've got a x700 pro, but still looks damn nice) - i move through a door in the first dungeon and BANG, fatal error, blue screen with white dots, screeching noise from the speakers.........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Being very restrained here - Oblivion sitting unopened in the gamestop bag while I watch the news...can't hold out much longer...:D
    Plug: If you're looking to upgrade to play Oblivion - check out my 6800GT for sale in the hardware forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

damn stable owner charging too much for horses, he he i showed him....yoink

damn it horsey ran away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

git ut today. never bothered with morrowwind as i didnt like the sound of it. got it on 360. only 64.99 in GAME for the collectors edition and then i get my staff discount too:D

great graphics too. just got out of the sewers. countryside looks like it could be fun to roam. hopefully as fun as shadow of the colossus was.

Should I get it on PC or XBox 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Grr tv is in use... I spent a couple of hours in the game earlier and was really enjoying it. Hadn't even got out of the sewers yet, was just creating different characters and messing around with ragdoll physics and deciding what style I liked. I originally went for Wood Elf but as soon as I tried the first bow I didn't like it, ended up settling on a Breton because I'm liking the fireballs :D Enjoying the sword fighting too though. And the stealth. I can sneak up behind people in my heavy armour then shoot fireballs at them then club them when they turn around right?

As for which version to get. Wellll the PC version is cheaper and you get the construction set. But you also get bugs, crashes, might need to upgrade and all the other hassles that come with PC gaming. Personally I prefer relaxing on the couch in front of my big tv, but its down to preference really!

I think I'll go for the XBox version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Jaysoos. Having trouble alright (FX 5900XT). Everything on low, 640 * 480. CHOPPY, to say the least. And I haven't even gotten outside yet.
    Goddamn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

chamlis wrote:
    Jaysoos. Having trouble alright (FX 5900XT). Everything on low, 640 * 480. CHOPPY, to say the least. And I haven't even gotten outside yet.
    Goddamn.

360 version is beutiful, loading times are fast, but the frame rate is choppy when coming up to a new area. But overall v.nice, but tbh, the environments make this game pretty, the character models, and movements arn't exactally realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Got it today, amazing! Runs pretty good on my spec with 1280x1024 with all the eye candy turned up! by the way nVidia have released beta drivers 84.25 especially for the issues people are haveing with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Love it. Yup it does crash about once an hour but I'm a QuickSave whore anyway and it reloads pretty quickly. One very simple and useful tip for frame rates - if you find it has dropped too far from the level you get on first load do a quicksave and reload (Takes a second or two), I presume there's a leak somewhere in the code and this flushes it, it's particularly useful when moving from inside to outside zones.

• Advertisement

Grrr I'm annoyed with Oblivion now!

Was really into it and had a mission to investigate some merchants inventory so I thought I know, I'll knock down some of his merchandise and sneak past when he's picking it up. But nooooo, he goes screaming for guards as soon as I touch it, and whats worse they took a load of stuff off me that I'd stolen fair and square previously and now I've no weapons :(

Oh well I'm learning!

How so did you knock it down? Maybe you're just not a very good thief?

yea its way too easy to get nicked for something

i found a horse in on of the forests (a second one after spending time for robbing & loosing my first horse :D) so i was trotting around as happy as larry, so i decided to head back to the main town, on my way (a good 10-15 horse ride) i was about to cross the main bridge into the imperial city & i decided to talk to a randommer. after talking to her for a bit i hopped back up on my horse & all of a sudden she is screaming for the guards that i robbed her horse..wtf? needless to say the next i will be avoiding the major cities for a while

anybody know how long the guards try to arrest you for? ie do the charges get dropped after a while?

In morrowind you just had to pay a fine for minor crimes. Like murder. Mass murder had a "mob death" penalty though. So yeah, horse rustlin' couldn't be too serious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just finished my first wander in the world of oblivion. I will never understand why someone wants to sit on a couch and play any game let alone this. You can keep your consoles, I want to be in this games face, totally immersed. Anyway looks great on my PC with my X800 and loading times are non-existant. Seriously no pause whatsoever. I see the message on screen and thats it. Then again 2 SATA HDs on RAID 0 might help :)
    So far so good. Being relatively drunk helps. Tomorrow will be a more sober look, literally.

Zillah wrote:
    How so did you knock it down? Maybe you're just not a very good thief?

Using L1, or whatever they call that button on an xbox...

I didn't actually pick it up into my inventory, you can just use that button to move things around a bit and thats all I did!

The horses in the ranch outside are soooo tempting... but I wanna stay in the guards good books for a while after that incident :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The horses in the ranch outside are soooo tempting... but I wanna stay in the guards good books for a while

sadly i gave into temptation...

Just came out of my 1st experiance of Oblivion (friend bought it but his Graphics card sux and he's waiting for new one so its mine for the weekend, longer if i buy it.)

I like the simple yet functional stealth system. And the scripted plot at the beginning (sewer escape) is a better way to introduce one to the world then the Morrowind version. It gives you a better idea on what style of gameplay you like.

So i'm a catlike assasin with a strong taste for bows and katanas (though i have to steal a new one.)
    does anyone know if you drop the katana of the lead gaurd before the other gaurd asks for it could you be able to keep it?
    I quite enjoyed the first optional dungeon across the river, really got my sneak sneak run like mad shooting arrows sneak sneak tactic to a tee.

my biggest hope for the game is that there will be alot more variety to the monsters in this one compared to morrowind. But apart from that i enjoy being a thieving b*sterd with very loose morals. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Heh I held out for ages but I'm doing a crash cheapo upgrade just for this.

P4 2.4 ->(I'll go to 3.06 when they get cheap on ebay)
    256mb ram ->(bah, I'll through in another 256 and see what happens)
    Radeon 9000 pro ->(off to komplette for a GeForce 6600, can't go wrong with €116.00)
    Win98SE -> (have a Win2000 disc here but I hope it's not Sweedish)

See lads, all this frettin over the top gear, watch and learn.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Whew! Just finished an all-nighter - and only just finished the first main quest :D Loving it so far - even if most of the graphics options are set really low. Man I can't wait until my new card arrives!

Off to bed for a couple of hours now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im underwhelmed tbh.
    Stunning looking etc but cant get into it.
    I got it more out of hype,i think ill be keeping my WOW subscription.
    I thought this might make me want to unsubscribe.
    Think ill return to store today.

Advertisement