Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Odly enough, my overclocking the graphics card seems to have worked quite well. Vast improvement all around and is surprisingly stable. Not one crash yet, though every once in awhile the blue window border flashes around the screen.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get my hands on some glass armor? It was one of the coolest in morrowind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

God I regret ordering it off play.com.

I'll be waiting well into next week before I get my Mits on it. :(

Me too, I'm hoping that it gets here Monday but I seriously doubt it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Anyone know any were i can go to actually buy a **** load of lockpicks? i find one here and there, but i need loads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Everyone seems to be playing this. I'm starting my finals in under two months though so I don't think I should get it. Plenty of study still to be done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I tell you where to get lock picks if somone tells me how to do the spoiler grey highlight yoke.

Ultra High Quality goodness here!

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote:
    I tell you where to get lock picks if somone tells me how to do the spoiler grey highlight yoke.

Ultra High Quality goodness here!

how bout you just tell me in a PM please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just put spoiler in these [ ] and close it with /spoiler in these [ ] again.

Gummy need to more lock picks and no Shady sam around the city wall can't sell me some as i sliced him up long time, LOL!!

But didn't get any lockpicks even though he sells them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The problem with trying to locate high end items (Like the Glass armour) is that apparently EVERYTHING is relative to your level. It's not like in Morrowind where if you were sneaky/smart/fast enough you could nab some really high end Kit early on. Some areas will have higher value items than others
    The Corpse in the Tornado tower in Oblivion always seems to have some good rings (that region was where the first and fourth gates put me
    but you won't get Glass armour until you are of a reasonable level....and I haven't managed it yet myself, Mythril just started showing up slowly at level 10 along with nice Dwarven bows. There's a mod at elderscrolls.com that apparently lets the merchants sell you any level of Weapon, with one catch - you need to restart the game. Still this may all be proved wrong the game is still young and not a single person has done more than see a fraction of the game world so maybe there will end up being some cool items lying about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Oh god, just made myself turn off the game when I released it was 6.30 am

Actually strongly considering putting it back on and skipping sleep tonight. You know its good when that happens!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

steviec wrote:
    Oh god, just made myself turn off the game when I released it was 6.30 am

Actually strongly considering putting it back on and skipping sleep tonight. You know its good when that happens!

5 minutes behind you :) night or morning. whichever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

When I saw that it was 6:30 I thought "bah! Its barely morning yet". Im just taking a break for food.

You started finding dwarven and mithril stuff at level 10? Im 11 atm and havn't seen anything beyond "fine steel".

Also, I think we should start a screenshot thread for oblivion, to taunt those who don't have the game, to show off the cool graphics engine, and show some humorous moments when rag dolls physics go wrong.

I had a shot of a goblin doubled over with his ass in the air after I shot him. Not sure where it went though. There was also that moment where I climbed a mountain and turned around and my jaw actually fell open. Hills vanished into the hazy horizon, the Imperial City was visible far far in the distance, with another city nearer at the base of the mountain. Stunning.

Where Can I Buy Lockpicks People?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Feckin work, all I want to do is play this game

The Arena sidequest is class, and I reckon I'll dabble with the assassination sidequest a bit later

Could have swore I saw a Unicorn last night too can't remember the exact location, I was riding through a forest near the Inn of Ill Omen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Seriously guys!

Lockpicks! Where!?

And....I am still lvl 1. :( It is so hard to get up levels. I wanna join the thieves guild, i lok forwardto finding it. :D

My horsey is gone!? I need another one, I pity the fool who walks around.
    Where can i get free horsey?! I don't wanna get in trouble either, so no stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Timans wrote:
    Seriously guys!

Lockpicks! Where!?

And....I am still lvl 1. :( It is so hard to get up levels. I wanna join the thieves guild, i lok forwardto finding it. :D

My horsey is gone!? I need another one, I pity the fool who walks around.
    Where can i get free horsey?! I don't wanna get in trouble either, so no stealing.

just steal one, you can pay a small bounty to the guards if you're caught (as long as you don't do something too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I've been playing this on my 2800+, 9800pro setup, and its great - but I really wan't to experience the full glory, so just ordered a x1800xt and an opteron146.

The downside is I can't play again until they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

just steal one, you can pay a small bounty to the guards if you're caught (as long as you don't do something too serious
    If i do that, it is just like buying one.

I want a free hprse. I kknow where to get a free horse, but, i lost that one. :(

I got plenty lockpicks :D:D and everytime i pickpocket i get caught anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I really need to sit down and play this game properly. Only been having quick blasts of it here and there. Went to buy a horse, realised I didn't have the money, so robbed one instead.
    Course then I got distracted by a crypt, went inside, horse ran off, got my ass handed to me by skeleton and at that point, I realised I'd left my um..car unlocked, so had to run away very quickly to lock it again.

Honest.

Lads, what are the advantages
    of becoming a vampire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

he he in the thieves guild now & found some nice stuff in
    bruma castle, some nice swords in the throne room but i havent managed to crack the locks yet and i have run out of lockpicks but i did find a lovely silver sword in the barracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

_CreeD_ wrote:
    The problem with trying to locate high end items (Like the Glass armour) is that apparently EVERYTHING is relative to your level. It's not like in Morrowind where if you were sneaky/smart/fast enough you could nab some really high end Kit early on. Some areas will have higher value items than others .... but you won't get Glass armour until you are of a reasonable level....

Here is a quote from someone on another forum, thought it was a good post.
    The basic point of this post is that exploration is not rewarded. Leveling simply makes the enemies more powerful. Items dropped are never significantly better than you'd expect, or (once you reach a certain point in the game) better than the stuff you already ahve. You can explore for the sake of exploration, but that's it.

There's no doubt that exploration is rewarded a LITTLE. At a bare minimum, you'll get some gold from the random stuff you sell.

But it's not rewarded much. The two best rpgs of all time -- BGII and Wizardry VIII -- both had WOW! moments where you ran into some uber powerful enemy, who you KNEW was guarding some ridiculously powerful weapon. (Firkraag and Carsomyr in BGII, Sorceress Queen and Fang in W8) When you finally beat that enemy, and got that item, the sense of accomplishment was IMMENSE.

Unfortunately, due to the loot drop (and enemy level scaling) system, there's no sense of awe or accomplishment in Oblivion. You can wander around if you just like the sights, or if you like exploring for it's own sake. But exploring and fighting enemies doesn't make you significantly more or less powerful. it makes you about as powerful as someone your level should expect to be.

I suppose bethesda wnated to make it so that you could literally go anywhere and do anything at any time, and be fine as far as level/loot. But that's not very fun, and it doesn't make much sense.

Personally, the gothic system (where you literally get smashed by everything above a rat, and wandering off the roads is a surefire way to get yourslef killed) is much more fun to me. But apparently only the "hardcore" european market can sustain such games nowadays. Everything in the US, and for the console market, has to be watered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Got the game, just out of the sewers and I have to say wow. Improved so much over morrowind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Lads, what are the advantages
    of becoming a vampire?
    +20 to most (all?) skills, and some stats too, aswell as immunity to disease.

Downside: 50% weakness to fire, sun does 8 damage a second to you, and people will refuse to talk to you, basically you kick arse but your going to be on your own, you can feed on sleeping people to cut down on your vampirism (takes 4 days to get in full swing vampire, the effects becoming more prominent each day, people will still talk to you right up until 100% vampire, feeding will buy you 3 days where you can talk to people, and 1 day when the sun wont hurt you).

To get it cured you need to do a pretty big quest for someone in the temple district main building, takes between 1-3 hours depending on how well you know where to get the things you need.

As for horse's, you get one for FREE near the start of the game, which follows you around after you claim it,
    When the kings amulet thing gets stolen from Jauffre's place, one of his men gets killed, and the stable boy basically says he doesnt need it anmore (heartbeat is required to ride horses), so gives it to you
    , it will even follow you when you fast travel, and wait outside dungeon's or cities for you.

As for lockpicks, if you join the thieves guild, theres a guy who will sell you 100 lock picks for 600g, that should keep you going :)
    _Creed_ wrote:
    The problem with trying to locate high end items (Like the Glass armour) is that apparently EVERYTHING is relative to your level.
    Yea, thats good in ways, bad in others, good in that in morrowind you could have a lvl1 peon running around in full daedric (and being encumbered beyond the point of moving), and its simply no challenge at all, and if you were a decent thieve you could steal a fll suit of Glass armour within about 6 hours gameplay if you knew where to look. However the bad thing is now that Im level 26, I have Daedric items coming out my ears, its got to the point when I do an oblivion gate I only pick up Daedric Greave's, helm, and boots, and leave the Cuirass's because their too heavy to be only worth 1200 to sell (Highest merchant I have found), Im currently wearing a full suit of Glass (mostly bumped up with sigil stones too), and in my main house I have full suits of Elven, Daedric, Orc, and Ebony armour suits, and most of the weapons for each suit too, and I STILL have 125000g left over, late game money really is a moot point, I could run around and buy every house in the game and not feel the hole in my wallet (but I dont because if you have 10 homes, none feel like 'home' :) only have 2 houses, 1 in Bruma, my main house, and the manor in Anvil because its so cheap for what is unltimately a mansion).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

For anyone with a system not up to Oblivion or wanting to go back in time or have finished Oblivion and want more -

Morrowind for a Fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You can get about 6000gold by fighting at the arena.
    is the arena hard

also im having trouble with lock picking how do you do it
    i usually just use the auto attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ignoring the main quest and simply being a thief for the thieves guild...have my own horse and becoming quite popular with the merchants...i'm gonna hate handing this back to my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

*cries*

My xbox has started informing me that the disc is scratched and throwing me out to the dashboard at regular intervals. I can see the scratch too, its not just dirt. I'll be off to Gamestop tomorrow.

Was really enjoying the game too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

steviec wrote:
    *cries*

My xbox has started informing me that the disc is scratched and throwing me out to the dashboard at regular intervals. I can see the scratch too, its not just dirt. I'll be off to Gamestop tomorrow.

Was really enjoying the game too!
    you've just convinced me not to get an xbox360

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    you've just convinced me not to get an xbox360

he obviously moved it, they dont just scratch themselves you know.

Advertisement