Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phpBB bot shills

Options
  • 22-03-2006 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

just discovered this

33,000 is a hell of a lot of forums. Obviously i know vbulletin would be safer (though aren't the other boards sites running phpBB? ), but just wondering how difficult that actually would be to stop here?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Answer from an idiot: more difficult than it would be if we didn't have to. Having said that, even holding back the tide manually with a few admins, a few smods and a few hundred mods, any user who came on to the site and posted nothing but "O How nice" and "Wow that is cool" would probably make my mental watch list after DeV's "I'm not a nut, watch out there are shills about" thread.

Except in the Humour forum. I almost never go in there so that's a good place for shills to pretend they're normal users in advance.

Then there's Asok. I've never seen Asok but I'm pretty sure he puts on a hunting hat every time he goes near his computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Most of the flaw are in php itself not phpBB2.

Worth banning the name funtklakow maybe and if you are using phpbb2 making sure visual confirmation is on.

You do get quite a lot of bots registering in an attempt to drive up a sites rank in the various search engines. But most people have mods which don't display members in the memberlist or as newly registered) until they have authenicated and/or reached a required post count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

or how about:
    This forum uses Vbulletin, rather than phpBB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

thats what i meant when i talked about vbulettin, prob not very clear though, and the other boards sites do use phpBB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

boards.jp runs vbulletin. boards.us runs phpBB though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

sceptre wrote:

Then there's Asok. I've never seen Asok but I'm pretty sure he puts on a hunting hat every time he goes near his computer.

And a dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

There is an Image check on vB when registering, so it would be harder for a bot to complete the process.
    phpBB is easily hackable as standard. That's why you need to modify it to be more secure.
    vB is payed for, so there is usually security updates regulary. If a bot shill did become a problem, I'm sure Kier and his team would be quick to solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

boards.us is converting to vBulletin soon.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Advertisement