Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laneway wall ideas?

Options
  • 22-03-2006 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,
    My house is adjacent to a laneway:( and I want to stop the associated problems by putting some sort of fencing on to the wall. I cant do hedging cos it would take some of the driveway entrance, and also its all paving. Is there any type of fencing that would be sturdy but tasteful? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

What might work for you is a steel frame fixed to the wall that you can finish with a pressure treated timber fence fixed to the frame, you can cut the top of the timber to a point to prevent anyone climbing over it.

You would have the option of using a stain like fence life and allow a type of ivy to trail through the fence adding natural colour over time.

I prefer the Protim pressure treated timber because you don't have to paint it every year, that leaves two options for the finish that should help to maintain your privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Hey rooferpete thanks for the response
    Just did out a drawing which i cant get to upload...:(
    Youre talking about a palisade type fencing?Using individual timbers pointed at the top?Yes it would look well I think. The frame could be a problem though. Would I need to run a frame accross the middle, and bottom of the timbers?Coach bolting each one to it?Would I need to get a guy to weld the frame for me? or try bolt it together. Most timber yards have that protim timber?
    The main thing I'm worried about is that with the fence up, the neighbour on the other sides view up the road is blocked, and also the view into the laneway is blocked(from a security point of view.).Also I am worried that the fencing will look out of place, as the adjacent neighbouring wall is unobstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I have an in-fill at the side of my house that provides security and hides the real important stuff at the side of the house (OK Junk) :)

I'll take a photo if the rain stops tomorrow, what we did was get the frame made up with two gates so I can drive around the back, the steel was galvanised and the timber fixed using a roofing fixing that is top secret because it self taps the heavy steel.

As to blocking the neighbours view you could allow the fence to taper down at the front, have a word with him / her they might like the idea for themselves.

Protim pressure treatment is available from good timber yards like TJ Mahoney , Ashbourne Timber to name but two.

I had the steel work done by a professional between Dunboyne and Summerhill, he is reasonable and very helpful.

Advertisement