Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie @ 3am

Options
  • 22-03-2006 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

I know some sort of bacup thingy happens at 3am every morning and you can't access boards.ie while it is happening, any chance this could be moved to an earlier time like 5am, because a fair few people are still up at 3am :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

oh noes. not again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I'd agree, it should be moved to a time like 5AM. Was there a reason this was implausable that I might've missed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

5AM is so after 3AM. Your very post is flawed.
    /Swirls brandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, I'd agree, it should be moved to a time like 5AM. Was there a reason this was implausable that I might've missed?
    I seem to recall the last few threads on this issue recieving a lot of support from users and a lot of "why should we?" from the admins.

Arguments insued.

Wasn't pretty :(

(support++ from me though, for what its worth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im supporting of this its so frustrating not being able to use boards at 3 and im usually in bed at 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

And what about those of us up at 5am? Damn you. Damn you all.

Seriously, it's 3am and the downtime is <= 30 mins... take a leetle break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I get up at 5am.... get lost

John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Lump wrote:
    I get up at 5am.... get lost

John

How about 4:40am then ;)

Would it be a big job to change it? I haven't got a clue :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The only threads you get at that hour are 'OMG it's 2AM Already!' and 'OMG it's 2.30AM Already!'

• Advertisement

The only threads you get at that hour are 'OMG it's 2AM Already!' and 'OMG it's 2.30AM Already!'

I still like to browse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I know some sort of bacup thingy happens at 3am every morning and you can't access boards.ie while it is happening, any chance this could be moved to an earlier time like 5am, because a fair few people are still up at 3am :D

visit bebo for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If you're still on boards.ie at 3am, then maybe the problem is with you...

:eek:

Sico wrote:
    If you're still on boards.ie at 3am, then maybe the problem is with you...

:eek:

Plenty of people are on at that time :o
    visit bebo for 10 minutes.

Good idea :p

You're allowed to have more than one quote per post.
    Downtime around 3am saves us from some of the "ZOMG! wot a gr8 nite" posts...

Karoma wrote:
    Downtime around 3am saves us from some of the "ZOMG! wot a gr8 nite" posts...

Just don't look at them threads

They account for a good portion of threads in the wee hours,so the FP is always listing them...
    Changing the time to anything else will just lead to more posts/whinges about it being down at the new time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If it wasn't at 3am it would be some other time. There are plenty of people on at 4am, 5am and 6am as well. I'd go as far to say that 3am is a good time to give people a nudge to sod off to bed.
    Karoma wrote:
    Indeed. Because I'm so endearingly helpful I merged the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I faithfully promise to move the backup time if it ever suits my personal lifestyle. This does not explicitly rule out moving it to 5am.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    If it wasn't at 3am it would be some other time. There are plenty of people on at 4am, 5am and 6am as well. I'd go as far to say that 3am is a good time to give people a nudge to sod off to bed.

Indeed. Because I'm so endearingly helpful I merged the posts.

Thanking you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Regi wrote:
    I faithfully promise to move the backup time if it ever suits my personal lifestyle. This does not explicitly rule out moving it to 5am.

Thanks.

..what are you ever doing at 3am?

[boarderati]

Eh Dan? Tell me that!

[/boarderati]

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

sceptre wrote:
    I'd go as far to say that 3am is a good time to give people a nudge to sod off to bed.
    I'll go with that. There has been a few times that the backup has given me the nudge to bed that i needed.

Just don't tell the wife thats the real reason i decided to turn the computer off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Regi wrote:

Thanks.
    wan teh dan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

..what are you ever doing at 3am?

[boarderati]

Eh Dan? Tell me that!

[/boarderati]

From what I have been told it involves kittens, a croquet mallet, 12lb's of bacon grease and 1 roll of bail wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, tbh, 3:06am to about 3:40am its down, and if you're up till 5am, then it shouldn't bother you too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

i cant believe i read the 2 pages of this thread :p 3am is a fine time for backups imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Commuters may be up not long after 5 and having a browse over breakfast before heading out.

IIRC the backup time was picked simply by looking at when was the quietest time based on usage patterns before the backups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Asok wrote:
    From what I have been told it involves kittens, a croquet mallet, 12lb's of bacon grease and 1 roll of bail wrap.

I always suspected he was a sick, sick man

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement