Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car ran out of oil, help needed!!

Options
  • 22-03-2006 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know im stupid but my 94 Honda Civic ran out of engine oil and I dont know what to do. I filled it up again but I think the damage was already done.

I filled up the oil tank and still it starts up only for the engine to cut out again after a while.

Is there any1 out there that can help me, I really dont know what do to next.

Will I need a whole new engine or is there any way to fix the damage i've done?

Thanks in advance,

james :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you haven't overfilled the oil have you? how do you know it ran out of oil? did it just go low?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

get a mechanic call a recovery dont drive it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

just get AA out or if you have roadside assistance, donot drive it as it might cause more damage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does the Honda Civic use so much oil that it has its own oil tank? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I nearly got caught with this too, my oil light lit up pretty often, I thought it was a light for petrol until I asked here:eek: luckily I was informed and filled it up straight away. I blame the government for allowing me to drive without full knowledge of my vehicle:rolleyes: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I find it amazing that many cars still aren't being fitted with an oil level gauge on the dash. Most Renaults made in the last 15 years seem to have this feature but I haven't seen it in many other cars in the same price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*meshakeshead*

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the engine is noise - similar to jack hammer - then it's wasted. If it runs as quiet as before but simply cuts out then it may be salvageable. If you over filled with oil then you may have excessive oil pressure which is causing your hydraulic valve lifters to be way out of sync!!! Be sure the correct amount of oil is present.
    Most manufacturers recommend that you check the engine oil level "every time you fill the fuel tank or before a long journey".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

kbannon wrote:
    Does the Honda Civic use so much oil that it has its own oil tank? :D

My thoughts also; Given the in depth insight that statment offers, I'd recommend. Dont drive it, have it towed and indicate to the mechanic the "tank" to which the oil was added and how many gallons and have the intake and cylinders checked for collected oil.

don't start it any further, caus if you have enough oil make its way from the sump into the intake via the PCV circuit, you could get hydrolocking and break whatever is left of the engine, assuming you did not do any terminal damage by runnig out of oil in teh first place. The fact that it started is good... but for how long is the unanswered question.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Lads thanks so much for the advice.

Yes, i think the fact it is starting is good. Il have it looked at immiediately.
    appreciate all the help greatly.

I really hope its recoverable! Im a poor student who needs his car!

• Advertisement

jamesozzie wrote:
    I really hope its recoverable! Im a poor student who needs his car!
    No offence but you should take better care of it then! [when was the last time you checked the air in your tyres?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

kbannon wrote:
    No offence but you should take better care of it then! [when was the last time you checked the air in your tyres?]

You mean changed, not checked, right?. ;)

not really - I meant checked the air levels. No need to change the air!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kbannon wrote:
    not really - I meant checked the air levels. No need to change the air!

Speaking of which,
    Is there a handy, portable type pressure reader available.
    I have one that shoots out a little graduated bar that reads the pressure, but I am not over confident in it.

To the OP:
    Go with AMurphy's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

:)

I know I should have taken better care of it! I usually do check it, it just i left an oil check for a while!

Oh how i regret it now! Hopefully a garage can do something to recover it.

Does anybody know where I can buy a Civic engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

jamesozzie wrote:
    I know I should have taken better care of it! I usually do check it, it just i left an oil check for a while!

hehe civic engines arent cheap

jamesozzie wrote:

You are wanting to buy a new engine without getting a mechanic to look at the one you have first? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

crosstownk wrote:
    .... ...causing your hydraulic valve lifters ...".

which 94 civic doesn't have. but yes too much oil will stop pistons from moving

anyway,
    there is chance that crankshaft main bearings are still OK and actually camshaft bearings got damaged causing the problem after they heat up .

Civic engine fited will cost 1000-1200 from IVI engines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

It may be quite easily possible to fix your engine. The parts shouldn't cost too much, however anything involving opening up the engine block will cost loads in term of mechanic labour. They will have to lift out and dismantle the engine to firstly see what the problem is, and then fix it. You could be talking huge money here. It might not be worth it unless your 94 civic has a special place in your heart. Sorry to say that :(

I know it sounds like 'I told you so' and Im rubbing it in your face, but you should really look after your car. Check the tyres and the oil once a week and give it a wash. Alot of people I know run into problems with their cars because they simply don't look after them.

Well i havnt had a mechanic look at it yet, i will tis week. I have absolutely NO money but hopefullt it will be looked at this week. Im not going to get a new engine if U have to pay that much for one. I was going to get a new car anyway in the summer as Im finished college.

Il post back the news after the mechanic looks at the car.

I know I should have looked after my car better! Obviously il know better next time, what a lesson!

which engine model do you have? You could get one from the scrapyard for around 300 (if it is just standard model) and get somebody to fit it.

Its a 1345cc Honda Civic DX. I think they're fairly popular here so il check out a few scrapyards maybe if the problem is unrecoverable. Cheers

did you fix your car?

Advertisement