Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance Repeats

Options
  • 22-03-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys im in second year commerce and i failed winter Finance. Does anyone know what topics are likely to come up. Has anyone talked to or emailed jimmy. I emailed him many times but got no reply.I was told bonds is going to be up.But hope you guys can help.

Please donot ruin the thread.
    Try and make this a useful thread.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Well i didnt fail...but he did tell us bonds would come up in summer. To be fair he told us the winter paper in the end? I imagine WACC will play a major part again....everything really comes back to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

drdre you poor soul. Peter Brady and good exam tips hold the key to succes. :)
    It will be hard to find out anything though with no lecture this semester, your best bet may be trying to meet Jimmy for a chat. Tell him you're screwed and he might help you out?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ive contacted peter brady and he said he will see if he will hold a session for this repeat exam. i donot think he will as i donot think many people failed.

anyway i tried contacting jimmy o neill but cannot get a reply from him, i emailed him 3-4 times, i think the best option is just go sit outside his office and wait for him to arrive.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Hey drdre, I'm in the same position, bit of a b*tch isn't it. I haven't really looked at finance yet but i wouldn't rely ob his hints too much coz he screwed ppl over in the xmas exam didnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

JustCoz wrote:
    Hey drdre, I'm in the same position, bit of a b*tch isn't it. I haven't really looked at finance yet but i wouldn't rely ob his hints too much coz he screwed ppl over in the xmas exam didnt he?

I found the Xmas exam very similar to what he said it would be like.

• Advertisement

the christmas exam was exactly what he said would come up.now im in a situation that i havenot looked at the subject yet and i donot know where to start and what formulas to learn:mad:

drdre wrote:
    the christmas exam was exactly what he said would come up.now im in a situation that i havenot looked at the subject yet and i donot know where to start and what formulas to learn:mad:

This is something that really pisses me off. You spelt it 'do not' or 'don't'. 'Have not' or 'haven't'.
    Use capitals. Use more punctuation. Don't start all your posts with 'guys'.

Anyway...
    You really need to talk to Jimmy, give him an email even.
    I'm so glad I got Finance out of the way. A lot of people I know put it off 'til the summer. Bad idea IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

just a warning, Jimmy doesn't use his UCD e-mail account. Having said that, he doesn't tend to reply to the one he "uses"!

The best way to contact him is to ring the Smurfit School in Blackrock, that's where he spends most of his time!

Pythia wrote:
    This is something that really pisses me off. You spelt it 'do not' or 'don't'. 'Have not' or 'haven't'.
    Use capitals. Use more punctuation. Don't start all your posts with 'guys'

Finance student or trainee teacher? :p

I did hear that WACC might come up, I didn't sit the exam the first time around at all. Tbh I think he seems like a nice guy and he'll prob give us a few hints closer to the time

I'm so glad I got Finance out of the way. A lot of people I know put it off 'til the summer. Bad idea IMO.

Not very helpful

• Advertisement

someone else from here please try contacting him and see what he says, i have tried his 2 different email addresses about 4 times and got no reply. so someone else give it a try and see what he says.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Pythia wrote:
    Use capitals. Use more punctuation. Don't start all your posts with 'guys'.

Save it for the Spell Czech forum thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

JustCoz wrote:
    No, not only did he tell us the topics but he did a question in each very similiar to what came up during the last week.
    justcoz wrote:
    Not very helpful
    Not to you or the OP but then again you're not the only people reading this thread. The title might attract people considering defering other exams and trying to suss out the general experience.
    That being said I know drdre said she failed.
    I defered accounting and TBH its one of the better decisions I made last term. Where as everyone else only had the question pack to work off now have a proper past paper. Looking at this paper I know I would have completely failed the test, I dont have a clue of any of these questions. Because I was so far behind I would have spent most of my time studying accounting and neglected other subjects. I really couldnt afford to do that.
    I got a first and two 2.1's. Not great but Im happy. There is no limit on what I can get in the repreats, unlike some courses Im not capped at a pass. And my continuous assesment, which I failed so I would have had to repeat anyway, doesnt count anymore - 100% goes for the exam.

It costs 193 per subject, but if you have no hope in a subject I do think defering is a good option.

It costs 193 per subject, but if you have no hope in a subject I do think defering is a good option.

I had to repeat last year and it was about 193e, but I was told it was a flat fee to repeat, whether you repeat one or six or whatever.
    Maybe it's different this year.

pythia
    you are right , its a flat fee 193 euro for repeats.you can repeat any amount of subjects.

also

Kaptain redeye i was talking to clay fay about the accounting reapeats and all she said was earnings per share and a question on t- accounts will come up.

if you have heard any other topics then please post them up.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I wouldnt even know who to ask about accounting, but thanks. Actually I think Ill pop by the office of each of the lectueres when terms back and harass them, you know that idea never would have crossed my mind

yeah kaptain, if you get any hints when you go to the lecturers please pass them on to us.thanks:D

When I failed Accounting last year I went to the lecturer to find out about the repeat exam/see why I failed.
    I ended up crying in his office after I couldn't tell him which side was debit and which was credit. He was very nice to me after that!
    Ah, guilt trips...

pythia, that was a good trick. i really donot know which ones dr and cr, also im really screwed for the t-accounts question it come up in winter and i didnot know how to do it. so i think i should start looking over that question, ratios and earnings per share:D

does anyone know if jimmy has posted up the solutions for the winter exam paper.i thought it was on blackboard but checked it now and theres nothing there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

peter brady's notes will see you through no hassle,someone in your year should definately have them. i was ****ed till i studied them last year, ended up with 69% after. Best talk to Jim though as well.

peter brady's notes will see you through no hassle,someone in your year should definately have them. i was ****ed till i studied them last year, ended up with 69% after. Best talk to Jim though as well.

Do you know anyone that has these notes as i donot know anyone

Or does anyone on this thread know where i can get these notes.

Thanks in advance

i met jimmy but he was in a hurry so he said to me to pop up to his office on tue afternoon and he will give me some hints and he smiled:D .hope thats a good sign and also he said calulation on bonds is defo going to be a question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

i'd offer you my notes but i gave them away to whoever i sold my finance book to, ask round your class, guaranteed to have one person who got grinds from peter brady.

i'd offer you my notes but i gave them away to whoever i sold my finance book to, ask round your class, guaranteed to have one person who got grinds from peter brady.

thanks, but im only new in this yr so donot know many people.but i will try and i am meeting jimmy o neill on tuesday or wednesday so hopefully get some hints

drdre wrote:
    thanks, but im only new in this yr so donot know many people.but i will try and i am meeting jimmy o neill on tuesday or wednesday so hopefully get some hints

How did you get straight into 2nd year? Transfer from another college?

Pythia wrote:
    How did you get straight into 2nd year? Transfer from another college?

yeah i transferred from 2nd yr marketing in dit.

Advertisement