Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clingy doggie!

Options
  • 22-03-2006 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all
    I wonder if my westie is going thru a 'phase'. He's nine months old and was neutered about two and a half weeks ago.

This week my husband is working lates so is still in bed when I leave the house about 8.30am, having been up since 7am walking and feeding Jack. He's noticed that when I leave now Jack starts whimpering loudly and he has to go downstairs to be with him. Even if I pop out to the shops during the day and my husband is there with Jack he will still whine for a time till my husband distracts him.

When I'm home Jack follows me everywhere and rarely spends much time in another room to me, he constantly seeks attention from me. Granted I do most of the feeding, walking and grooming and I'm home more than my husband - maybe Jack's become too attached to me? It seems to have intensified since the op - are his hormones all over the place?

Usually I go to bed before my husband who's a bit of night owl and there's never been a peep from Jack at night. He sleeps in his bed downstairs. Last night I went up to bed about 11.30pm, my husband wasn't finished work till midnight. Well, I'd hardly got into bed when Jack started whimpering and banging against the door to the hall. I stuck it for 10 mins then rang my husband. He told me to go down, put him in his bed and say 'stay' sternly and go back up. I did and it worked, much to my relief.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I hate to think of Jack whimpering when I leave the house. He's rarely left for longer than 2 hours on his own and is generally a very happy, playful dog, loves his walks and his games. Will he grow out of this clinginess?

Any advice much appreciated
    Goffie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When I'm home Jack follows me everywhere and rarely spends much time in another room to me, he constantly seeks attention from me.

I'd say therein lies the problem ...he seeketh, you giveth :D

Poor little doggy had an operation, poor little doggy was hurting, poor little doggy had to be felt sorry for ...hence he got a few more treats, a few more nice words and a few more cuddles than before.

Normal human behaviour.

Normal doggy behaviour is not to be grateful ...but to want more, more, more ...and he knows EXACTLY who to get it from ...a little whimper, a hurting look ...and hey presto, here comes the attention.

That's their job !

Nothing at all wrong with your fella, he's just doing his job perfectly and he is leading you and your husband around by your heartstrings.

If you want to stop that, just ignore him. Don't look at him, don't talk to him (giving out is also talking!), don't touch him.

If he's a clever dog, he will pull all the tricks in his repertoire ...and then some. Keep ignoring him. After a while, he will hopefully give up and lie down somewhere. When he's been quiet for some time, then you can call him and give him a quick cuddle ...just to ignore him again or send him back to his spot.

He has to learn that YOU call the shots, not him. If you pull that through for a while you can then hopefully reach an equilibrium, where he is allowed to ask for some attention, but not always and not all the time.

The first few ignoring sessions are going to be tough, but it should be worth it in the long run.

Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Goffie wrote:
    Usually I go to bed before my husband who's a bit of night owl and there's never been a peep from Jack at night.

Ignore him when he whines, he doesn't annoy your husband because there is no point.
    Also keep sending him to his bed (if that is OK with you) and cuddle him when he stays.

He has to stop annoying you. He would like 100% of your attention all the time; you can't give it to him.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Thanks, MM, the new regime starts now!

Actually he hasn't been half as clingy this evening and this minute is out in the back garden gnawing his bone. I've been ignoring the pleas for attention and only giving it when he's quiet.

Granted my teeth are sore from gritting them but cruel to be kind is right - it'll pay off in the long run, I hope, for both our sakes.
    I looked up 'seperation anxiety' on google and got similar advice so here goes!!!
    Cheers
    Goffie

Advertisement