Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

talk me abut limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

A surprising shock you didn't know about Limerick!

Well you know the cost of property is relatively cheap compared to Cork or Dublin, but the house prices are rising at a faster rate here

Fact two. Limerick is now the second most expensive city in Ireland after Dublin to build property! The article was on the Irish independant last week if anyone thinks I'm talking bull...

Fact three. Limerick county is the third wealthiest county in terms of per capita after Dublin & Kildare.

Fact four. Limerick is the fastest growing commercial centre after Dublin

Fact five. Limerick crime rate is lower than the National average. and has less murders than either Dublin, Cork or Galway in the last two years.

More facts later...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

mysterious wrote:
    A surprising shock you didn't know about Limerick!

Well you know the cost of property is relatively cheap compared to Cork or Dublin, but the house prices are rising at a faster rate here

Fact two. Limerick is now the second most expensive city in Ireland after Dublin to build property! The article was on the Irish independant last week if anyone thinks I'm talking bull...

Fact three. Limerick county is the third wealthiest county in terms of per capita after Dublin & Kildare.

Fact four. Limerick is the fastest growing commercial centre after Dublin

Fact five. Limerick crime rate is lower than the National average. and has less murders than either Dublin, Cork or Galway in the last two years.

More facts later...
    Really have to agree with you there was up in Galway last week and it really does look at bit shabby in the center. Also there doesnt seem to be much there. Yes i know everyone loves Galway but i dont really see why. Also i taught Cork was a bit of a hole till lately, it has come on alot in the last few years....I dont know what my point is i just want to say something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

irishguy wrote:
    Really have to agree with you there was up in Galway last week and it really does look at bit shabby in the center. Also there doesnt seem to be much there. Yes i know everyone loves Galway but i dont really see why. Also i taught Cork was a bit of a hole till lately, it has come on alot in the last few years....I dont know what my point is i just want to say something :D

Have to agree. Really don;t get the Galway thing at all. When I was a student its a good town but its not all that to be honest. The clubs are crap, the pubs are good but its not as happening a place as everyone would make you think. I spent a few weekends there over the last 12 months with friends who moved up there and i never was blown away by the place. My friends are there a year or so and already are talking about moving. They reckon you get claustraphobic there very quickly as its quite small( same ol same ol after a while) and reckon its easier to get into a fight there than limerick. After my last trip there I'd agree.. Shop street is a freaky place after the pubs close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

No need to start a Limerick-Galway fight. Completely different towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

No need to start a Limerick-Galway fight. Completely different towns.
    but limerick is better :D

• Advertisement

Go and post that on the Galway board if you're feeling brave.

deleted

Go and post that on the Galway board if you're feeling brave.
    I did that ages ago... :D;):p Well I just wanted to see what the reaction was when I tell a Galwegian the facts, Like Limerick is Ireland's third bigges city. lol.... what a reaction I got... On top of that I never said one rude comment about Galway I did'nt say much more really, I just got backlash, the Negatvity was replusive :eek: shocking and wait..... wait... they even called us stab city, I mean that was just the end of me..
    After that I was banned. as it was my fault for rising the dirt on Galway bay!
    Well after that I needed to put it behind me, lol and
    I booked up for a councelling session and it wasn't anywhere near Galway for sure... I think I 'm over it now, though we just have to put the knives away!

I think the conclusion is Limerick really is just as good as Cork or Galway (a little squeeze in here or just better!.. Again ask them what they think of Limerick... and it will remain very obvious, it's like reverse pscycology or whatever it's called...so we should laugh at it when the backlash comes, like so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Most of the bad media thrown Limericks way in the 80's was to draw attention away from the bad crime situation up in Dublin.
    All the national media at the time was from Dublin and the city had, for a while, the worst crime rate per capita of any city in the then ECC.
    They wanted a scapegoat, and we were it.
    Anyone in Limerick will tell you this.
    What we tend to forget (leave out) though, is that Cork got the exact same treatment.
    Limerick was referred to as Stab City, while Cork was referred to as Stanly City, because it had a reputation of people slashing up other peoples faces with stanley knives!
    Galway never got the backlash, as at the time nobody tried to pretend that Galway was anyway near the size of Limerick.
    It was considered nothing more as a tourist destination, and you don't want to give a bad reputation to your yank trap!
    The difference is, Cork actually done something about this, and their local media, managed to fight back so to speak against the national media.
    In Limerick, our local media is a joke, and as much to blame for our national (and international) image as the national (by which I mean Dublin!) media.

Out of bad come's good right = Limerick is now better as it really wasn't bad at all.... The media has really made mountain of moehills. Like a girl says recently to me, where she would go out and stuff, where she went, I asked her if she went out in Limerick (obvious Limerick rarely gets mentioned) after that she blurted out that Limerick is a kip....:rolleyes: well she never stayed there for the purpose of being in Limerick, she never went out there , after that I guessed she had no clue what she was talking about.. So eventually I asked her where's her evidence to back up her statement (a girl living in sprawling Blanch, though nothing wrong with blanch, but for a comparitive sake with Limerick even? a kip she says? not like Blanc has anything to offer, but a housing estate) Her statment was: she passed through Limerick a few times because she was going to Kerry,when she was young........................., Sweet jesus..........................., I made a fine bad judgement of her stating she is stupid & gullable.. (but in my head) :D the reality I laughed at her instead, I suppose my judgment came across eventually:)

M ywhole point is, despite the Media attacks, people are still believing this madness...

The Limerick leader is also sometimes a joke...

• Advertisement

Most of the bad media thrown Limericks way in the 80's was to draw attention away from the bad crime situation up in Dublin.
    All the national media at the time was from Dublin and the city had, for a while, the worst crime rate per capita of any city in the then ECC.
    They wanted a scapegoat, and we were it.
    Anyone in Limerick will tell you this.
    What we tend to forget (leave out) though, is that Cork got the exact same treatment.
    Limerick was referred to as Stab City, while Cork was referred to as Stanly City, because it had a reputation of people slashing up other peoples faces with stanley knives!
    Galway never got the backlash, as at the time nobody tried to pretend that Galway was anyway near the size of Limerick.
    It was considered nothing more as a tourist destination, and you don't want to give a bad reputation to your yank trap!
    The difference is, Cork actually done something about this, and their local media, managed to fight back so to speak against the national media.
    In Limerick, our local media is a joke, and as much to blame for our national (and international) image as the national (by which I mean Dublin!) media.

I don't know if I can agree with all that, Limerick does have a greater crime problem than Galway, and Galway does have a better pub scene than Limerick, as well as a world famous Arts Festival.

On the local media thing, do a count on how many negative headlines about Cork the Examiner carries and how many negative headlines the Leader carries about Limerick, the Examiner never misses a chance to promote Cork, whereas the Leader never misses a chance to run the city down. it's a hateful rag that should be burned down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Frank OJ

Where do you get off saying something like that about the Limerick Leader. As far as im concerned they will promote Limerick whenever they get a chance. Sure they will have negative stories but is it not a newspaper?? There's nothing worse than reading articles that are completely biased. would you rather they cover up the cracks and write about pure crap?? Big difference in what you say about the examiner. Its a National paper and because of its past have many journo's working for them from Cork. Maybe for the fact that they have biased opinions in the examiner it is one of the most least read national newspapers. http://www.nni.ie/readfigs6.htm . Add in the fact that Cork was the Cultural city of Europe recenty Ide imagine every effort was made to promote Cork by all newspapers. Limerick Leader provide great coverage to Rugby and GAA, and have a great local section, and ARENT afraid to print a story if it means upsetting people. Sure one or two might not be published in best taste but s**t happens. seems to me theres more to your rant and your bitter about something....

Frank, fair play, you are the first person I have ever heard defend the Leader.

Personally I think it's a negative rag the city would be better without but you're entitled to your opinion. I'll admit the burn it down comment was out of line.

I don't have the time, energy, resources or dedication to review every Leader and Chronicle front page from the last year but I'm willing to place an educated guess that somewhere between 75-85% of the headlines will be negative. It's a miserable paper (imo).

Now, you're right on one point, it does have a good sports section and full credit to them for it, my point was about it's headlines, that large black block print screaming horrors of the city, nothing to do with it's sports department.

Am I bitter person? I don't think so, but I'm fiercely proud of Limerick and frankly I think the Leader doesn't do the city any good. I've no personal agenda with the Leader, I've never been featured negatively among it's pages or anything. I have lived in different cities and I've never come across a local paper so determined to be glum.

I have to agree with Amazotheamazing on this. The leader even creates rubbisg whether it's good or bad. I can't pin point an example right now, but some stories on this paper had made national headlines in the past.
    Some great news turned out to be like stalemate.... the Conference centre, huge write up about that a few weeks ago, remember it took the entire front page and inside of the paper, basically its rehashed,recylced and old is news which is not factual....:rolleyes: what else, surley people here could mention one or two stories, that give you this impression,

On the defence, well what is there to defend about the good points on the leader? Its their job to gvie at least some decent news?

Frank, the point we are making about the Leader is one held by a very large number of people in Limerick.
    First off, yes, of course it is right, to point out the bad aspects of Limerick, but the Leader and the Post try to be fear mongering papers.
    If you read through them, you will find reports about, really petty crimes, ranging from stolen handbags, to a group of kids hanging around a corner!
    The best example of this came a year ago, when the paper led with a headline, about a couple of teenagers, who robbed a few yops from a shop!!!
    That's not a joke, two kids shoplifted a couple of yops from the newsagents on Catherine street!
    The paper stated, that seeing as copious amounts of marijuana smoking can lead to constipation, they were obviously robbing the yogourts to try and help their bowl movements!!! This of course is proof of a serious drug problem in Limerick!!!
    This is the kind of journalism that these papers excrete!

As for our neighbouring cities media. A few years ago, a paper in Galway (I can't remember it's name, and I'm too lazy to Google it!), ran a derogatory article about the problem of rape in Galway. Galway, in case you didn't know, has the highest incidence of rape per capita in the country. And it has had for a long time.
    After this article was published, Galway City Council, got in contact with the paper, and threatened to try and close it down, if it continued to print bad stories about Galway!
    Guess what the ratio between praising and damning stories they print about Galway is now?!!

That is the kind of media the rest of the country has.
    They breed an attitude of, ah well who cares if we have crime, at least we're not as bad as Limerick!
    Which is a complete pile of s**t!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've lived all 19 years of my life in Limerick and love it. My mam came to Limerick when she was 9 from Mallow and has never adjusted to the climate.

Cork=Freezing Cold

Limerick=Soaked wet or Bone Dry

I'm in UL and I presume you mean the Plassey Tecnological Park. There's a few way out in the county.

Limerick, despite appearances is NOT a universtiy city, University of Limerick is outside the city boundary. It has suffered because of this. I had a conversation wit a few friends on Friday and we concluded that students don't come to university in Limerick the come to university in Castletroy (which is by the way among the top 10 fastest growing areas in the country)

Accomodation is blatently abundant in all shapes and sizes in Castletroy so this should not be a problem.

There is a decent but unpunctual transport service orepated by Bus Éireann. The bus is supposed to leave the city centre every 15 minutes, but this is unrealistic to expect as drivers are in the main too relaxed and don't care about the timetable.

Crime- Well having nearly been robbed of my wallet and contents (€4) on Thursday on the Ennis Rd. by you guessed it a "scumbag" I should say it's a massive concern. But the little f****r didn't get my wallet as I saw his hand goin for my pocket.

The Garda was really helpful when I reported this (not that I expect they'll catch him). But overall I feel very safe in Limerick, there are just places you don't go at certain times or any time if you are an outsider (that includes Limerick people not from the immediate area)

I get the bus to university most days. You have to budget about an extra 25-30 mins to ensure you get to your destination on time, Of course due to the inconsistency, this also means you can get there 45 minutes early and have nothing to do.

Limerick is fast becoming a metropolitan city with all of the Henry St. and Suburban retail development.

You'll love it

ninty9er wrote:
    Limerick, despite appearances is NOT a universtiy city, University of Limerick is outside the city boundary. It has suffered because of this. I had a conversation wit a few friends on Friday and we concluded that students don't come to university in Limerick the come to university in Castletroy (which is by the way among the top 10 fastest growing areas in the country)

That's why most people in Limerick(City) want the boundry extension!

That's why most people in Limerick(City) want the boundry extension!

The Boundary extension will not make Limerick a "university city", the students really don't mix with the city, UL is a self-contained campus. In Galway the university's students are everywhere, in Limerick you hardly see them. In time this might change, with the improvements in the canal and the developments in Singland. You have to remember Galway has been a university for over 150 years, UL has only been in existence since the early 1970's, it takes time for these institutions to become part of the region's social fabric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭les-paul

This is so funny, I started this thread asking about Limerick and now the company just offered me a job in Cork! So my time as a Limerick man has ended before even starting! It was nice while it lasted, tough... Alrgight people, time to stop buggin' here and go buggin' the Cork board. So long and thanks for the fish.

les-paul wrote:
    This is so funny, I started this thread asking about Limerick and now the company just offered me a job in Cork! So my time as a Limerick man has ended before even starting! It was nice while it lasted, tough... Alrgight people, time to stop buggin' here and go buggin' the Cork board. So long and thanks for the fish.

No worries Les, have a great time in Cork.

• Advertisement

Frank OJ wrote:
    Where do you get off saying something like that about the Limerick Leader. As far as im concerned they will promote Limerick whenever they get a chance. Sure they will have negative stories but is it not a newspaper?? There's nothing worse than reading articles that are completely biased. would you rather they cover up the cracks and write about pure crap?? Big difference in what you say about the examiner. Its a National paper and because of its past have many journo's working for them from Cork. Maybe for the fact that they have biased opinions in the examiner it is one of the most least read national newspapers. http://www.nni.ie/readfigs6.htm . Add in the fact that Cork was the Cultural city of Europe recenty Ide imagine every effort was made to promote Cork by all newspapers. Limerick Leader provide great coverage to Rugby and GAA, and have a great local section, and ARENT afraid to print a story if it means upsetting people. Sure one or two might not be published in best taste but s**t happens. seems to me theres more to your rant and your bitter about something....

Yesterday gave me a great example of the Leader's style vis a vis the Examiner's. After one of Munster's biggest wins over Leinster the Examiner headline (and massive picture) reads Magnificent Munster, the Leader goes with "Fans hit by Ticket Chaos", I mean come on, where's the justice in that? Could they not, on the day after we beat Clare and Leinster, celebrate? The hurlers don't even get a front page mention. Why did the Leader seize on the negative headline, why not a fair salute to the team?

Interestingly, the Examiner notes, in very small print, that a man was arrested for the weekend murder of another man in Cork, the Leader gives roughly a quarter of the front page to a serious assault that happened in Grove Island. Ask yourself, which was more serious, murder or assualt, and why does the Examiner keep Cork crimes in small print? Why does the Leader run with the negative?

Even today's Chronicle has the same joyless tone, "Granny injured on US visit dies", with respect to the deceased, does her passing really merit a half a page front page article? I'm not being callous, but in a city of nearly 90,000 people, is this front page news?

(Sorry if my comments on the deceased are disrespectful, no disrespect is intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

The Boundary extension will not make Limerick a "university city", the students really don't mix with the city, UL is a self-contained campus. In Galway the university's students are everywhere, in Limerick you hardly see them. In time this might change, with the improvements in the canal and the developments in Singland. You have to remember Galway has been a university for over 150 years, UL has only been in existence since the early 1970's, it takes time for these institutions to become part of the region's social fabric.

This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to go to college at home! My little sis also declined UL and instead went to Galway, and it is very student-dominated there (in a good way ;)). Even my parents, who were upset when we so unceremoniously uprooted ourselves from Limerick, ended up thinking Galway was a great place for her to be in college. Although I'm in Dublin, and can't get my mother to stop worrying about my safety :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

ninty9er wrote:
    ...the come to university in Castletroy (which is by the way among the top 10 fastest growing areas in the country)

Going off the topic yet again, I was wondering who comes up with the figures that measure the "fastest growing areas in the country/Europe" because in recent years I've heard that honour being given to Newcastle West, Castletroy, Galway, Lucan, Navan and Newbridge Co. Kildare but there are rarely any statistics to back the claims up. Mesuspects it's just something estate agents bandy about to increase the value of the property they're trying to flog.

Lets not forget Tralee, Waterford, Letterkenny. Are no other towns in Europe growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

wouldnt navan be the fastest in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The mayor said Limerick is! haha... yeah, there is some sort of offical one which Limerick held three years or so ago, Galway had it last year (or the year before) I'm not sure where has it now, but Ireland for the time being is by far the fastest growing country in the EU, which is why it bounces around irish cities!

Advertisement