Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Mod question

• 22-03-2006 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I've got a few fans in my case at the moment (i.e. 7). The majority of the time I don't need most of them running. So i'd like to know of any ways of turning them off and on while the computer is running.

I was considering wireing them all up in parallel to a molex connector and just using a basic switch mounted on the outside, to switch them on and off. Will this be ok with the motherboard, especially since i plan to still have the fan speed controls still plugged into the Mobo, just with their power connectors removed. Will the Mobo pick them up ok if i'm switching them on and off (i.e. gaming... not gaming) also my only other worry is the switch, will it be ok to just use a basic flip switch as there usually is some voltage bounce with them, but as none of the power for the fans is coming from the MoBo, i'm thinking the PSU should be able to handle this.

Any ideas or tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

If the fans are connected to your mainboard then Speedfan could regulate the fans...otherwise a fan controller like THIS or THIS would do it.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok well i'll have to look up some circuitry on those switch packs, to see if they use debouncing. If so I guess i'll have to build it into the circuit. Those things you linked to are pretty basic looking, I might just nab some switches and leds from college and save myself the €30. Plus I only really need one switch to turn them all on.

Advertisement