Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my deposit back..

Options
  • 22-03-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Right, ill keep this short and sweet...

My girlfriend decided to buy me a wetsuit for my upcoming birthday. She wanted it to be a surprise so went into the shop. She knew that I needed a winter wetsuit, suitable for scuba diving. This would require a wetsuit that is 7mm thick.

Now, she knows nothing about wetsuits, so she put a deposit on a wetsuit that she was told was suitable for scuba diving and winter use.. but it's only 5mm, which is totally useless to me, and I already have one.

Now, do I have a leg to stand on in regards to getting my deposit refunded? As far as im concerned, it was false advertisment. The people in the shop should know what the wetsuit thickness requierments are for scuba diving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

legally the retailer only has to refund you if the goods are faulty or don't do what they are supposed to. It depends on what your girlfriend specifically requested. If she was vague and lookin for advice on which type of wetsuit, then you should be ok. If she said she wanted "this particular wetsuit" then they could be awkward and say no refund (deposits are generally no refund). But I think if you go in and say "look, she didn't know I already have one, can I change to the type I need", you should be ok. Most would allow you to change the deposit to another item in the store, or a credit note. But ultimately if she was given wrong advice then your grand, insist on a refund. Be nice, it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The problem is that the store wont stock the one I need. They only have surfing wetsuits etc... nothing that is good enough quality for me.

I think I may have a solution. The GF wants to buy a wetsuit, so ill just tell them the situation and ask them to transfer the deposit as part payment for another item. Everyones happy, and the store gets their money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

just try asking, where i used to work gave deposits (quite large too) back, any decent retailer would accept the situation, and give it back in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

heggie wrote:
    just try asking, where i used to work gave deposits (quite large too) back, any decent retailer would accept the situation, and give it back in good faith.

I hope so, but also in good faith on my part, if I find a suitable wetsuit for the girlfriend ill use the deposit towards paying for it. Should be all good, ill keep you guys updated

Advertisement